D&R

Tax on property in the UK after moving to US

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'll try and keep this simple.

I have a house in the UK that I'd want to keep and rent out when I move to the US (until I eventually decide to buy in the US that is)

Obviously I'd have to pay tax on my earnings to the good old UK government, but f I transfer what's left after that to my US account, would I have to pay any US tax/fees?

Any help or pointers would be appreciated, thanks! :thumbs:

Dave

UK-US%20Flags2.gif

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I have a house in the UK that I'd want to keep and rent out when I move to the US (until I eventually decide to buy in the US that is)

Obviously I'd have to pay tax on my earnings to the good old UK government, but f I transfer what's left after that to my US account, would I have to pay any US tax/fees?

Retal income would be classed as foreign earned income and you can get a credit for that. Check out the IRS website for Foreign Income Credit.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

As a US citizen or Permanent Resident of the US, you are taxed on your "worldwide" income. As mentioned, there are certain exclusions and credits you may qualify for to lessen/reduce or eliminate any "double" taxation.

YMMV

As a US resident you will be taxed on your worldwide income. It does not matter if you remit the foreign income to your US bank account or not. The income received anywhere in the world is taxed.

As rental income is not earned income it will not qualify for the US foreign earned income exclusion so, it will be fully taxable in the US.

However, you will get some relief for any UK tax you pay on the rental income. Depending on the amount of the rental income and any other UK income you have, you may have no UK tax liability as you will still get the full UK personal allowance.

The key to remember about living in the US is that they tax your income wherever it arises in the world and that the UK will tax you as a non-resident on your UK source income. So, there is an element of double taxation for which there is some relief to make sure that income does not get taxed twice.

One other thing to remember about the rental property in the UK is whether your are using an agent or directly managing it yourself you will need to complete the HMRC form NRL1. If you don't, the agent or the tenant is required to deduct basic rate tax from the rent before it is paid to you.

My time line

CSC

Nov 7, 2004 - First met in Chagford, Devon, UK

Sep 1, 2007 - Married in Chagford

Oct 5, 2007 - Sent I-130 to CSC

Oct 9, 2007 - Received by CSC

Jan 14, 2008 - Rejected by Chicago, wrong date on check 😞

Jan 15, 2008 - Sent I-130 back to Chicago with correctly dated check 🙂

Jan 16, 2008 - Received by Chicago

Feb 14, 2008 - NOA1

Apr 28, 2008 - NOA2

May 6, 2008 - NVC assign case number

May 12, 2008 - DS-3032 and AOS bill generated

May 18, 2008 - DS-3032 request emailed by me

May 22, 2008 - AOS bill paid by check

May 27, 2008 - DS-3032 accepted by NVC

Jun 2, 2008 - IV bill generated

Jun 9, 2008 - IV bill received

Jun 16, 2008 - IV bill paid by check

Jun 21, 2008 - I-864 package received

Jun 26, 2008 - I-864 sent to NVC

Jun 30, 2008 - DS-230 generated by NVC

Jul 11, 2008 - DS-230 received

Jul 26, 2008 - DS-230 sent to NVC

Aug 4, 2008 - DS-230 received by NVC

Aug 12, 2008 - Case completed

Aug 14, 2008 - Papers sent to London Embassy

Oct 20, 2008 - Medical in London

Oct 27, 2008 - Interview in London (was originally scheduled for Sep 23)

Oct 28, 2008 - Visa received

Nov 22, 2008 - Arrived in USA at Phoenix.... Yeah!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
As a US resident you will be taxed on your worldwide income. It does not matter if you remit the foreign income to your US bank account or not. The income received anywhere in the world is taxed.

As rental income is not earned income it will not qualify for the US foreign earned income exclusion so, it will be fully taxable in the US.

However, you will get some relief for any UK tax you pay on the rental income. Depending on the amount of the rental income and any other UK income you have, you may have no UK tax liability as you will still get the full UK personal allowance.

The key to remember about living in the US is that they tax your income wherever it arises in the world and that the UK will tax you as a non-resident on your UK source income. So, there is an element of double taxation for which there is some relief to make sure that income does not get taxed twice.

One other thing to remember about the rental property in the UK is whether your are using an agent or directly managing it yourself you will need to complete the HMRC form NRL1. If you don't, the agent or the tenant is required to deduct basic rate tax from the rent before it is paid to you.

Yes all that is correct

I have only found one exception to 'all worwide income' and that is government SERVICE (not 'old age') pensions from government departments/local authorities/quangos etc

I have one of those

They are taxable in the UK but not in the US until the resident becomes a citizen.

Mine is smaller than the UK personal allowance so I dont pay tax in the UK or US - a nice anomaly and it wont last because next year when I become a citizen, it will be taxable in the US. The UK will keep taxing it at zero and the US will start taxing it at full

Also be VERY careful with Foreign Passive Investments (ISA unit trusts etc) The IRS hates them and taxes them up to 100% all the way back. I had an isa with a £100k profit and I dumped it the week before I emigrated

In the land of the free they dont ban stuff - they just tax it at 100%

Make sure you sell your house within the IRS regs for tax free - or they will get you on the capital gains on that

Yes you have to know UK and US tax at the same time and it's a minefield. The US does not mess around and they have 10k min fines for undisclosed bank accounts and this can go huge plus 10 years min in Fed prison

The UK tax authorities are quite gentlemanly compared to the US but TAX is not a joke in the USA so be very careful

Do your homework and call the US tax people free for advice - they dont ask your name and they are very friendly

I wish I could find something else to mop up my personal allowance in the UK but not be taxable in the US - but govt SERVICE pensions are the only anomaly i can find..

I report all my income from everywhere to the cent - and i still worry

Edited by saywhat

moresheep400100.jpg

Also be VERY careful with Foreign Passive Investments (ISA unit trusts etc) The IRS hates them and taxes them up to 100% all the way back. I had an isa with a £100k profit and I dumped it the week before I emigrated

Thank you for bringing these rules to my attention. I hadn't realized they existed and will now evaluate if it is worth me retaining my UK investment trusts and VCTs, although some of the VCTs I need to keep for a few more years to keep the UK tax relief I got.

The tax joys of being affected by two tax systems. :)

My time line

CSC

Feb 14, 2008 - NOA1

Apr 28, 2008 - NOA2

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Thank you for bringing these rules to my attention. I hadn't realized they existed and will now evaluate if it is worth me retaining my UK investment trusts and VCTs, although some of the VCTs I need to keep for a few more years to keep the UK tax relief I got.

The tax joys of being affected by two tax systems. :)

Super - forewarned is forearmed

There is good news because death duties are a lot easier to legally dodge than in the UK - the UK considers everyone 'deemed' domiciled for at least 3 years after leaving the UK and they get you for inheritance tax...

Even after 3 years, if you had income and bank accounts and a house in the UK, they would possibly take a pop at 'considered domicile'

I will have my pension and bank accounts in the UK, but if I become a USC next year then that will help me to escape the UK inheritance tax net when I pop my clogs - and they say I will one day

moresheep400100.jpg

Super - forewarned is forearmed

There is good news because death duties are a lot easier to legally dodge than in the UK - the UK considers everyone 'deemed' domiciled for at least 3 years after leaving the UK and they get you for inheritance tax...

Even after 3 years, if you had income and bank accounts and a house in the UK, they would possibly take a pop at 'considered domicile'

I will have my pension and bank accounts in the UK, but if I become a USC next year then that will help me to escape the UK inheritance tax net when I pop my clogs - and they say I will one day

I spent a couple of hours yesterday evening looking at the detailed IRS rules on the foreign passive investments. Pretty convoluted stuff. :)

Based on the examples they gave and the fact I have only been in the US for a short period I should be able to do the mark to market election for 2009. I can then at least keep the investments for the short term with the US tax hit not being too bad whilst I review whether to sell the investments and invest in something similar in the US.

My 2009 1040 is going to be quite interesting!!!

My time line

CSC

Feb 14, 2008 - NOA1

Apr 28, 2008 - NOA2

• 5 years later...

Hello! I know this is an old thread but I am in the same situation. I was just wondering if anyone who commented on this is still around and can help explain it all to me. I'm sure a lot has changed in the last 5 years :)

Plinkabob,

I'm still here occasionally :-)

What do you want help with? Rental income or PFICs?

My time line

CSC

Feb 14, 2008 - NOA1

Apr 28, 2008 - NOA2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! So sorry for the late reply.

I was just wondering what happens to my rental income when I move over to the states. I'll no longer be a tax resident in the UK (I think I am correct in thinking that) so how do I claim my over seas income. I am self employed in the UK right now and my rental income is included in my tax return. At what point do I stop my self employment here, if at all? I'm so confused when it comes to this. I'll be keeping my bank account here as I pay the bills on the property as it is included in the rent and it's also easier on my tenant to pay into a UK account.

Did any of that make any sense what so ever?

Any advice you could give me would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Once you move to the States you will become non-resident for UK tax purposes. That means you only need to report your UK rental income on the UK tax return and complete the non-resident pages. The self-employment income (if it continues) will only be reported on the UK tax return if you keep a permament establishment such as an office in the UK. Otherwise the self-employment will only be reported on your US tax return.

The UK rental income will also be reported on your US tax return with some changes in some of the expenses you can claim and how the income is reported. For example the income will be reported on a cash basis and you can claim a depreciation expense for the cost of the building spread over a 40 year period. If you pay any tax in the UK on the rental income you can claim a credit for this against your US tax on the rental income.

As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts you will need to submit online form NRL1 to HMRC so that your tenant can pay the rent to you gross without any tax deduction.

Hope that gives an outline of what to expect. Basically you will continue with your UK tax return under self-assessment and also have the joy of starting in the US tax system. :-)

My time line

CSC

Feb 14, 2008 - NOA1

Apr 28, 2008 - NOA2

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.