Kikibearylala

usc fiance in japan

10 posts in this topic

hello fellow vj'ers ive been around here sometimes but this is my first post.anyway i have a question for a friend,my friend's fiance is a usc that is working in japan had a 3 yrs contract,my question is:is it possible for her usc fiance to file for a k1 while he's in japan?.your replies would be gladly appreciated.

hello fellow vj'ers ive been around here sometimes but this is my first post.anyway i have a question for a friend,my friend's fiance is a usc that is working in japan had a 3 yrs contract,my question is:is it possible for her usc fiance to file for a k1 while he's in japan?.your replies would be gladly appreciated.

my friend is here in the philippines and her fiance is in japan

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

a USC should be in the US while filing the petition unless he is a resident of the country where he works. but even still, the benificiary will intend to immigrate in the US therefore the petition must be filed in her finace's state.

good luck!

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
thank you for the reply.i will tel my friend about it.

your welcome!

even though my answer is based on a friend of mine that had a same situation like hers but i would suggest to your friend and her fiance to seek legal advice from an attorney that has a visa knowledge.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
this was copied from U.S. Embassy Manila site I will link the page at the end of this post

In order for an application for an immigrant visa to be approved, the petitioner, whether a United States citizen or a permanent resident, must be domiciled in the United States. That is, while a petitioner may spend a significant amount of time abroad, he or she must demonstrate that his or her life is based primarily in the United States and will be for the foreseeable future.

The reason for this requirement is simple: immigrant visas are intended to reunite families. There is no reunification to be accomplished - and therefore no reason to issue an immigrant visa - if the petitioner is not residing in the country to which the applicants intend to move.

From this post it seems that all you need to do is be domiciled in the states and file your application at the appropriate processing center for your state. please follow the link and read carefully Talk to an immigration Lawyer as this is just my opinion of what is written on the site.

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3207.html

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manilla, Philipines

I-129F Sent : 2009-03-06

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-03-16

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-07-16

NVC Received : 2009-07-31

NVC Left : 2009-08-14

Consulate Received : 2009-08-19

Packet 4 Received : 2009-08-22

Interview Date : 2009-09-23 Submit Review

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2009-09-25

US Entry : 2009-10-04

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Los Angeles CA

Date Filed : 2010-01-29

NOA Date : 2010-02-05

Bio. Appt. : 2010-02-26

Interview Date : 2010-04-21 Submit Review

Approval / Denial Date : 2010-04-21

Approved : Yes

MANOK COUPLE

my fiance is stationed in Okinawa, he filed whilst being there and we're almost done with the K-1 :) why dont they just get married here, then live together in Japan and after 6 months of her domiciled in japan and his proofs that he too is domiciled in Japan, then they can do the Direct Consular Filing. She can just get a visitor's visa to go to Japan or work out with the immigration in Japan then just file thru DCF in Japan, they have a lot of areas to have the DCF :)

Luke 18:27 Jesus said" what is impossible to men is possible with God."

Philippians 4:13 I can do everything through Him who gives me strength.

03/02/09-k-1 visa starts

09/09/09-K-1 visa approved

10/24/09 - WEDDING

11/09/09 - AOS

02/25/10-GC approved

08/26/10-319B n400 starts

11-09-10 Interview 10 AM >Approved

11-09-10 oath 2 PM Fairfax, VA

All glory, praises, thanksgiving and admiration belong only to God.

Jeremiah 29:11 "for i know the plans i have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you¬ harm you, plans to give you hope & a future"

I was able to file my k1 while living abroad. I was a resident of the country I was living in and continued to live there until my fiance (now husband) received his visa then we both moved here together.

The only 2 hitches with filing abroad is that your income, unless it is from a US source, will not count towards the affidavit of support and you will need a US address to receive the mailings. You don't have to be living there but it should be someone you trust to pass along the mailings or you can chose to hire a lawyer and receive the packets and notices through them.

Other things to consider are getting to the USA to get married before the K1 expires and how to complete the requirements for the AOS process.

Naturalization

3/23/14 - N400 package sent to Phoenix

3/27/14 - N400 package delivered

4/3/14 - NOA1 receipt date

4/4/14 - check cashed

04/29/14 - biometrics date

07/01/14 - interview date

xx/xx/xx - Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.