thai2008

Consulate at US Embassy Bangkok, Thailand

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I have been trying to contact the Consulate at the US Embassy in Bangkok for a couple weeks now by snail mail, email, and telephone. The embassy website provided a number for the USCIS in Bangkok, so I called the number and spoke to a lady who told me to go to the Consulate section at the embassy between the hours of 1-3 pm.

I have gone to the embassy before for the tourist visa interview and when I was there I noticed that the staff did not allow anyone without the appointment to enter the compound.

I'm not sure if I should follow the lady's advice and go to the embassy. I really need to speak to someone about revalidating my petition. Has anyone ever tried to contact the embassy and actually susceeded? How did you go about doing that?

Edited by thai2008

~01 March 2008: I29F sent

17 March 2008: NOA1 received

21 August 2008: Touched

24 October 2008: Touched

27 Otober 2008: Touched

29 October 2008: Touched

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
I have been trying to contact the Consulate at the US Embassy in Bangkok for a couple weeks now by snail mail, email, and telephone. The embassy website provided a number for the USCIS in Bangkok, so I called the number and spoke to a lady who told me to go to the Consulate section at the embassy between the hours of 1-3 pm.

I have gone to the embassy before for the tourist visa interview and when I was there I noticed that the staff did not allow anyone without the appointment to enter the compound.

I'm not sure if I should follow the lady's advice and go to the embassy. I really need to speak to someone about revalidating my petition. Has anyone ever tried to contact the embassy and actually susceeded? How did you go about doing that?

The embassy in Bangkok will generally not respond to emails unless your email subject includes the case number, the beneficiary's last name, and the visa type. An example of a valid subject would be:

IV Inquiry, BNK20091234567, Smith

I'm not sure if they will let you in at the embassy without an appointment, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Edited by rsn

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

Timeline

Oh, and you will want to email them with the proper subject at either visasbkk@state.gov or visasbkk2@state.gov.

Timeline
Oh, and you will want to email them with the proper subject at either visasbkk@state.gov or visasbkk2@state.gov.

Thanks for the answer. Actually, I followed the instruction found on the website about the email inquiry. I did exactly what you suggested. I am just not counting on getting a timely response. I think you're right it doesn't hurt to try going to the embassy.

Timeline

Thanks for the answer. Actually, I followed the instruction found on the website about the email inquiry. I did exactly what you suggested. I am just not counting on getting a timely response. I think you're right it doesn't hurt to try going to the embassy.

It's a crapshoot, honestly (regarding the emails). I may have been lucky, but they responded to probably about 80% of my emails (and usually within 48 hours). The other 20% though apparently went into a black hole. Others had less appealing results than myself. They wouldn't answer any visa questions over the phone either. Good luck.

Edited by rsn

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I am not clear by what you say if you are the USC.

The consulate section is actually located accross the street from the embassy in the high rise buliding. You could start there. The section has a duty officer to help American citizens with problems. They do not work on visa problems but can advise you or help you make contact with the embassy section.

Another avenue to seek help is to go to any Thai post office, buy a pin number which allows you to call X number of times to speak to a human.

I remember your first post about your situation. I am not certian but I do not think you can do what you are asking. There is an experation date for the petition.

Timeline

The consulate section is actually located accross the street from the embassy in the high rise buliding. You could start there. The section has a duty officer to help American citizens with problems. They do not work on visa problems but can advise you or help you make contact with the embassy section.

Another avenue to seek help is to go to any Thai post office, buy a pin number which allows you to call X number of times to speak to a human.

I remember your first post about your situation. I am not certian but I do not think you can do what you are asking. There is an experation date for the petition.

Thanks for your advice. I've actually had it sorted out, fortunately. I spoke on the phone with a person at the consulate and was told to mail the required documents. It sounded like they received my letter and somehow decided to let me proceed with the petition.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Thanks for your advice. I've actually had it sorted out, fortunately. I spoke on the phone with a person at the consulate and was told to mail the required documents. It sounded like they received my letter and somehow decided to let me proceed with the petition.

Good news. You got lucky!

Timeline

I think when possible they try to help...at least it's my perception the government (at least BKK embassy) is being more reasonable. THey've answered my emails and had been helpful during my process (despite the fact it took a year, no the typical 6 months)...but that's OK...she's here now and I've got no complaints other than the clueless "call center" during the VSC stage but they're jsut contract employees in a completely different state anyway.

7/21/08 I 129f K-1 app given to Siam Legal Lawyers office

8/3/08 K-1 I 129f Sent (Atty Ofc made mistake delayed app, we learned later)

8/14/08 NOA-1

1/23/09 RFE Color Passport Picture

1/29/09 RFE Color Pics sent

2/3/09 RFE Pics USCIS acknowledged

4/28/09 NOA-2

5/01/09 NVC Received

5/01/09 Left NVC

5/15/09 Embassy Sent Packet 3 (we did not receive-they have correct addresses)

6/19/09 Packet 3 to Embassy

6/28/09 Appointment (packet 4) never mailed, had to ask to get email-they've got correct addresses

7/23/09 Interview Scheduled for 7:00am (A YEAR AFTER SUBMISSION)!!!!!!!!!!! APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7/28/09 Pick up visa

8/11/09 She came to the USA with me!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.