ernie

Advice needed for K3 application US/Canada

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello everybody!

I'm new.

I am a US citizen.

I just arived in Canada from the US The border crossing was not difficult.

I plan to live in Canada until I can get my wife into the U.S.

This site does not seem to have a sample cover letter for the I-130 or an organized listing of what all documents are needed when I apply. Did I overlook something? Can anybody help me out?

Thanks,

Ernie

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Hello everybody!

I'm new.

I am a US citizen.

This site does not seem to have a sample cover letter for the I-130 or an organized listing of what all documents are needed when I apply. Did I overlook something? Can anybody help me out?

Thanks,

Ernie

When you first look at the I-130 or K-3 forums, look at the very first post at the top that has been "pinned". Those posts contain an overview.

Sandy

Michael's I-130:

NOA1: 5-10-2006----updated w/ citizenship: 9-25-06----had to call back 10/25, touch 10/26

12/06/06 - Approved!- - - 12/08/06 - Touch---01/25/07 - Touch

I130 at NVC

12/14/06 - case number assigned

12/25/06 - DS3032 & AOS Fee Bill Mailed (phone system updated 12/27)

12/27/06 - emailed choice of agent; 12/29/06 - received email from NVC confirming choice of agent!

01/01/07 - NVC generated IV Fee Bill (postmarked 1/17 though!)

01/03/07 - returned AoS Fee Bill via Priority Mail (James' shortcut)

01/15/07 - NVC generated AOS package

01/22/07 - received IV Fee Bill - overnighted back to NVC same day

01/27/07 - recieved I864 package; 01/29/07 - overnighted I864 to NVC

01/29/07 - DS230 generated (phone system not updated, email response 2/5/07)

02/05/07 - mailed DS-230 to NVC via express mail

02/20/07 - CASE COMPLETE!!

04/18/07 - INTERVIEW!!!! - APPROVED!!!!

Michael's K-3:

09/28/06 - NOA1

1/25/07 - approved ...NOA2 via snail mail - 1/29/07

03/16/07 - chose not to return packet 3 to Montreal

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

What's the plan again? Hanging out in Canada as a tourist while you file for your wife using your U.S. address? Or fulfilling the residency requirements there in order to use Direct Consular Filing?

I-130 sent Mar 30, 06

approved Aug 15, 06

I-129f sent April 24, 06

approved July 27, 06

Montreal interview Jan 18, 07

POE Toronto Jan 28, 07

EAD sent Jan. 30, 07

transferred to Vermont Feb 12

biometrics Feb 22

approved March 13

card returned undeliverable! March 27

called after 6 weeks to have EAD re-sent

AOS sent Jan. 30, 07

biometrics Feb 22

RFE for complete medical (!) Feb 23

Called Senator from NJ - never returned call

Infopass March 19 (no help)

Replied to RFE with duplicate medical March 19

Sent additional evidence (I-693A) March 26

NBC received supplement March 30

touched April 4

Interview July 16

Filed: Other Timeline

I'm a bit confused too. Considering a US citizen can only stay in Canada for up to 6 months per year/trip as a tourist, and the K3/CR1 petitions and aps are going to take far longer than that....not to mention the CIC petitions and aps taken Even Longer...

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline

It is possible to stay in Canada for awhile while you wait for the visas however to stay the whole time might be difficult.

First of all you need to return to the states every now and then because you can only be in the country for so long. My husband was in Canada with me while I finished school. He went back once a month though to go do his weekend with the Air force reserves. He crossed the border in Niagra falls when he came back to Canada. Each time he just said "I am visiting for 3-4 weeks" and he never had a problem. He did this for about 6 months and didn't have any trouble. I don't know the actual law of how long each year you can be in a Country but you might want to look into that.

Also, you are going to need to fill out an I-864 which you have to prove you can financially support your spouse. You need to have some income for this so I'm curious how you are going to make that work or do you have a co sponsor already?

I wish you luck with being with your spouse for as long as you can. It took me 10 months from my marriage till my K3 visa was in my hand and I was with my husband for 6 of those months so we were very fortunate.

K3 Timeline

Oct. 12 2005 Applied for K3 (Day 1)

Jan. 9th 2006 Received packet 3 (Day 89)

Jan. 19th 2006 Sent back packet 3 (Day 99)

March 20th 2006 Received packet 4 (Day 159)

April 20th 2006 K3 Appointment in Montreal (Day 190)

April 21st 2006 Received K3 (Day 191)

April 22nd 2006 Arrived in Florida!!!!! (Day 192)

EAD Timeline

May 3rd 2006 Chicago receives my application (Day 1)

May 8th 2006 NOA received (Day 5)

May 22nd 2006 Biometrics appointment letter received (Day 19)

June 3rd 2006 Biometrics complete (Day 31)

June 13th 2006 EAD card received in Mail!!!!!!!!! (Day 41)

June 13th 2006 Applied for SSN (Day 41)

July 13th 2006 SSN card arrives in the mail (Day 71)

AOS Timeline

Oct. 30th 2006 Sent in our paperwork to Chicago (Day 1)

Nov. 11th 2006 NOA Received (Day 12)

Nov. 13th 2006 Touched (Day 14)

Nov. 18th 2006 Biometrics taken (Day 19)

Dec. 14th 2006 Case transferred to California (Day 45)

Dec. 31st 2006 File arrived in California (Day 62)

Jan. 20th 2007 Touched (Day 82)

May 8th 2007 Case trasnferred to National Benefits Center (Day 190)

May 16th 2007 Case arrived at National Benefits Center (Day 198)

Timeline
I'm a bit confused too. Considering a US citizen can only stay in Canada for up to 6 months per year/trip as a tourist, and the K3/CR1 petitions and aps are going to take far longer than that....not to mention the CIC petitions and aps taken Even Longer...

Thanks pals!

I found the information that I need to collect for the I-130.

I am in Canada without any paperwork on the condition that I will be leaving By December 28. The border official did not ask any questions about how I plan to support myself. I plan to file with the USCIS in Vermont since I am living in Canada, or do you recommend that I file using my U.S. Address?

I plan to reenter the U.S. periodically, after December 28, unless I can get a 1 year vistor's permit.

I have an internet job for a company in the US that will be giving me wages for work that I do while I'm in Canada.

I will not have enough income, so I have a co-sponsor agreed to help me.

Technically speaking, I do not need to have any income, if I have a co sponsor, correct?

Ernie

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

ernie, ernie, ernie. Did you read the guides?

First up, you need a domicile, that is, a place where you live, officially and legally. That would not be Canada, since it looks like you're only a tourist there. What, pray tell, is the condition that you leave Canada by December 28? Is that self-imposed? In any case, you are not "living in Canada."

For the purposes of petitioning for a visa, it would probably be best for you to have a proper U.S. address, a job, and paystubs. You'll need a decent income to sponsor an immigrant. You are the sponsor. A co-sponsor is only your back-up.

Alternatively, you could leave the U.S. and become an official resident of Canada as a Landed Immigrant. This takes some time, and you'll have to file income tax returns in Canada and the U.S. Then, you could use Direct Consular Filing. But this is a long, convoluted, and expensive proposition. It means getting official permanent resident status for yourself in Canada just so you could get the same thing for your wife in the U.S. May not be the big idea.

If you two want to eventually live and work in the States, it's probably best for you to be domiciled here, working here, and applying through the right Service Center. You can visit Canada for short periods, and may even be able to telecommute to your job without triggering Canadian taxes.

But if you're contemplating a one-year tourist visa to Canada (I didn't know there was one) and applying with no U.S. address, no decent income, and no official status in Canada, it won't work.

Edited by Jersey Girl

I-130 sent Mar 30, 06

approved Aug 15, 06

I-129f sent April 24, 06

approved July 27, 06

Montreal interview Jan 18, 07

POE Toronto Jan 28, 07

EAD sent Jan. 30, 07

transferred to Vermont Feb 12

biometrics Feb 22

approved March 13

card returned undeliverable! March 27

called after 6 weeks to have EAD re-sent

AOS sent Jan. 30, 07

biometrics Feb 22

RFE for complete medical (!) Feb 23

Called Senator from NJ - never returned call

Infopass March 19 (no help)

Replied to RFE with duplicate medical March 19

Sent additional evidence (I-693A) March 26

NBC received supplement March 30

touched April 4

Interview July 16

Hello everybody!

I'm new.

I am a US citizen.

Thanks,

Ernie

Please read the guides on each forum. The guide should list what are required for each process. Good Luck with the process!

I-130 Timeline with USCIS:

It took 92 days for I-130 to get approved from the filing date

NVC Process of I-130:

It took 78 days to complete the NVC process

Interview Process at The U.S. Embassy

Interview took 223 days from the I-130 filing date. Immigrant Visa was issued right after the interview

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You must file with your regular US address (when choosing a Service Center). Joisey's right, you're not "living" in Canada.

If you enter/re-enter multiple times, be prepared to be refused entry at some point. The Canadians don't want illegal immigrants any more than the US does. The 2 countries have extended generous VISITING rights to each others' citizens.

Check out the working thing to make sure you are complying with Canadian law. I don't know what it is, but I know that the type of arrangement you say would not be legal if it were done in the US by a visitor.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.