RalphandHanh

Bugs

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I'm having a bit of an issue here and I hope that someone that has lived in HCMC can help me. We a problem with ants. Hanh is telling me that there are no exterminators here and that they just use spray and some chalk to kill bugs. So if someone knows a name or number that we can call for an exterminator please let me know. I feel like I have something crawling on me all the time :)

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

I had that problem in my first place. Sometimes there would be a bunch of them, then none. If you dropped one crumb of food on the floor they would appear in less than 15 minutes. How to get rid of them? Try to disrupt their path, since they follow smell. You can smudge your finger over a small area and they will get confused. I found several leading into my house and cleaned real good. It worked for a while.

Edited by Mr. Saigon

Timeline
I had that problem in my first place. Sometimes there would be a bunch of them, then none. If you dropped one crumb of food on the floor they would appear in less than 15 minutes. How to get rid of them? Try to disrupt their path, since they follow smell. You can smudge your finger over a small area and they will get confused. I found several leading into my house and cleaned real good. It worked for a while.

What district is your shop in anyway?

I'm looking for the path but I don't see it. I think they took some lessons from David Copperfield cause they be magic ants. We're talking like 2 minutes and I see them running to a drop of fruit juice or crumb.

We are in the Binh Thanh District. Selling ice cream and smoothies but are gearing up for full cafe in two weeks.

Oh... and gotta love the low flying invisible mosquitoes too

Timeline

I'm looking for the path but I don't see it. I think they took some lessons from David Copperfield cause they be magic ants. We're talking like 2 minutes and I see them running to a drop of fruit juice or crumb.

We are in the Binh Thanh District. Selling ice cream and smoothies but are gearing up for full cafe in two weeks.

I've got one friend that works at Fanny Ice Cream and another that works at Stella Ice Cream in District 1. PM me when you open and I'll make the trek over there.

The mosquitoes have left me alone this time. I'm thankful for that.

thanks.. now getting her to call one of them is the next step :D

No problem. I've survived 6 months here. Here's looking at a year!

Edited by Mr. Saigon

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Augest 10th through the 12th I will be in HCM, Ill Have to stop by and get some Ice Cream! Phi Loves strawberries, so if you can make a Strawberry smoothie, she will take one of those! Im so excited to see her! oh boy, im not really worried about the interview. I mean I am but... with the TB and all, she cant come anytime soon. im just so happy to be going back, I really do miss it (and her obviously) ! ok im blabbering, Anyways, See you in HCM, if you want I can try to bring some ant killer, but I dont know if they will let me bring it!

LOVESIG3.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Augest 10th through the 12th I will be in HCM, Ill Have to stop by and get some Ice Cream! Phi Loves strawberries, so if you can make a Strawberry smoothie, she will take one of those! Im so excited to see her! oh boy, im not really worried about the interview. I mean I am but... with the TB and all, she cant come anytime soon. im just so happy to be going back, I really do miss it (and her obviously) ! ok im blabbering, Anyways, See you in HCM, if you want I can try to bring some ant killer, but I dont know if they will let me bring it!

If its in a checked bag they wont care... boric acid works great...

Edited by ScottThuy

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Timeline

If its in a checked bag they wont care... boric acid works great...

Boric acid does work pretty good. There's a product I think called "Terro". It's basically corn syrup and boric acid. You just lay a small piece of cardboard near their path and put a few drops on it. They eat it because of the sugar, and take it back to their colony to share. They'll eventually eat it all, so you need to check a couple times a day and add more as needed. Eventually, the number of ants crowded around the stuff will fall off to trickle, and then they'll stop coming - one ant colony gone!

Exterminators have told me in the past that you can't beat ants because there are usually too many colonies, and they have scouts out looking for food all the time. The best you can hope for is to keep their numbers down. Baits like Terro work pretty good, but some ants aren't attracted to it so you have to find a bait that works with the ants you're dealing with. If you have something you want to keep ants off of completely you can usually stop them by surrounding any access with talcum powder. Apparently, the powder is so fine that it gets into their leg joints and they can't move, so they usually won't try to walk across it. For example, you could pour a pile of talcum around the legs of a table to keep them off the table. You just have to be careful not to disturb the powder.

Ralph, where's the address in HCM? I'm up in Hue right now, but we'll be coming down to HCM on the 16th. I'd love to have some kem! :D

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

Stores like CoOp Mart, Big C and Maximart all sell traps and sprays.

Here's a link to a vid I shot the other day of a cockroach getting taken out by a bunch of ants. We don't have the ants in the house, just the huge cockroaches.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=211614

Timeline

thanks for all the great info guys. I'm going to try some of them. I just read about a mix of vinegar water and a dash of soap. I'm also concerned about two dogs we have here getting into some toxic stuff.

We are going to Cambodia Next weekend from the 14th to the 16th but here is the address for those who want to stop by:

17 M Vu Huy Tan Street

Ward 3

Binh Thanh District

Hope to see you guys here... I will be here all year :)

Timeline
thanks for all the great info guys. I'm going to try some of them. I just read about a mix of vinegar water and a dash of soap. I'm also concerned about two dogs we have here getting into some toxic stuff.

We are going to Cambodia Next weekend from the 14th to the 16th but here is the address for those who want to stop by:

17 M Vu Huy Tan Street

Ward 3

Binh Thanh District

Hope to see you guys here... I will be here all year :)

Ok I will plan on Seeing you there, Ill Will give Phi the address. she will know where it is. maybe the 3 of us can talk. Phi's Home town, Vinh Long, Doesn't have many people that speak English. So i would be nice to meet up and have a chat, maybe drink a few Bias (beers) and have a little get together. It's nice to be around people in the same boat as us, people that we can relate to. maybe after our interview on the 12th. With phi not passing her medical i am not sure what will happen. but we can only hope for the best. After stressing all day it will be nice to talk to someone that knows English and knows what were going through.

also, Jim. if you feel like coming down to Vinh Long (3 hour taxi south if HCM) It would also be great to visit with you. It is a nice city. small(ish) but fun. there is this great pho place. I know VN has great Pho everywhere. but i promise you, this place in Vinh Long has the Best Pho i have ever had. I will be in Vietnam from the 10th through the 24th, (I leave early in the morning on the 24th.) as far as I know we will be in HCM then Vinh long and Can Tho. Can Tho is a great City, It is cleaner than Vinh Long, (more tourist) but also the river walk is nice.

Anyways If either of you want to meet up, Let me know. I would love to plan something. As far as I know we have no plans after the interview on the 12th.

LOVESIG3.jpg

Timeline
also, Jim. if you feel like coming down to Vinh Long (3 hour taxi south if HCM) It would also be great to visit with you. It is a nice city. small(ish) but fun. there is this great pho place. I know VN has great Pho everywhere. but i promise you, this place in Vinh Long has the Best Pho i have ever had. I will be in Vietnam from the 10th through the 24th, (I leave early in the morning on the 24th.) as far as I know we will be in HCM then Vinh long and Can Tho. Can Tho is a great City, It is cleaner than Vinh Long, (more tourist) but also the river walk is nice.

Anyways If either of you want to meet up, Let me know. I would love to plan something. As far as I know we have no plans after the interview on the 12th.

Thanks much for the offer. I doubt we'll be able to get down to Vinh Long this time, though. My schedule has been pretty much booked for me. I've got family commitments in Hue until the 12th, then I'm going to Hoi An for a couple of days with Phuong's family. On the 14th Phuong and I are going to Da Lat for a couple of days. On the 16th we'll be in HCM for two days, and then it's back to the US. Four weeks ago this was just going to be a couple of weeks of relaxing holiday in Hue. Now I'm busier than I am at work! :blink:

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Thanks much for the offer. I doubt we'll be able to get down to Vinh Long this time, though. My schedule has been pretty much booked for me. I've got family commitments in Hue until the 12th, then I'm going to Hoi An for a couple of days with Phuong's family. On the 14th Phuong and I are going to Da Lat for a couple of days. On the 16th we'll be in HCM for two days, and then it's back to the US. Four weeks ago this was just going to be a couple of weeks of relaxing holiday in Hue. Now I'm busier than I am at work! :blink:

Thats how it ends up every time I am there.. the only way to slow down there is to get sick.. I don't wish that on anyone... Stay busy.. enjoy the time and "take lots of pictures with everyone you can... dont forget signs and monuments in the background... and as many family picks as you can ...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.