JT114881

J1 212e 2 year rule waiver

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

The Philippine CFO is asking my wife to do something ridiculous with the required documents for the waiver:

They want the DS2019 J1 eligibility paper that was issued to her when she was training in the US to be notarized in the US.

However it is illegal to notarize a DS2019 or modify it in any way after it has been executed.

The CFO will not budge until this is done. The Philippines embassy in NYC is saying the same thing.

I have contacted the state dept, a lawyer, a congressmen and I am running out of options.

Does anyone have any experience with J1 212e waivers? She is subject because she was on the skills list (of course)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

That does sound like a ridiculous request from the CFO. I looked for more info pertaining to your problem but found nothing that would help answer your question or what your options are. What did the state dept. tell you? If the Philippine embassy in NYC is telling you that it has to be notarized as well I guess I would just have it done If that's what it takes to get your wife here and appease the CFO. You said you contacted an attorney. I would contact as many attorneys as I could until you find one than can give you a straight answer regarding the legalities or consequences of notarizing the DS2019. Maybe someone here on VJ will have better advice for you. Good luck and I wish you the best.

Edited by MikenKyhen

IT'S NOT THE DESTINATION ITS THE JOURNEY...AND WHAT A JOURNEY IT HAS BEEN

Timeline
The Philippine CFO is asking my wife to do something ridiculous with the required documents for the waiver:

They want the DS2019 J1 eligibility paper that was issued to her when she was training in the US to be notarized in the US.

However it is illegal to notarize a DS2019 or modify it in any way after it has been executed.

The CFO will not budge until this is done. The Philippines embassy in NYC is saying the same thing.

I have contacted the state dept, a lawyer, a congressmen and I am running out of options.

Does anyone have any experience with J1 212e waivers? She is subject because she was on the skills list (of course)

HI I went through the same thing and they are right when they told you to have her DS 2019 notarized. I was granted a waiver because Im an elementary teacher and Im not on the skills list. I did not hire a lawyer to do this. But if shes on the skills list then the CFO will ask her to a project/seminar to share her experience and I think CFO will ask her to give monetary donation (Im not sure how much though). If you want, send me a PM. :)

Edited by noodlesweasel

Forgiveness is not saying what someone did to us is right. It is saying, "I'll let God straighten this out"..

Timeline

here, this might help you. My waiver processing took 6 months coz you have to send some docs to CFO then they will send to USCIS then to DHS. It could take more because she is on the skills list.

http://travel.state.gov/pdf/J_WaiverFAQ21-DEC-06.pdf

Forgiveness is not saying what someone did to us is right. It is saying, "I'll let God straighten this out"..

Don't know about that but a friend of mine who had never been married's fiancee wasn't allowed to do CFO unless she got a cert of singleness from him. No such thing in the US. She went back a week later without anything and got a different nun and didn't have any problems.

Same thing happen to another buddy. CFO wanted the entire transcripts of his divorce.

Fiance went later with only the divorce decree and made it thru.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Timeline

It is a long process- first you have to have your docs notarized then you need to send them to CFO for evaluation and then they will send a letter for No objection statement if they will recommend for a waiver or you have to take the longer route which all those who are in the skills list go through. Then a letter from DHS for favorable recommendation and lastly, a waiver from the USCIS. Mine took 6 months and Im not in the skills list.

Edited by noodlesweasel

Timeline

Oh the notarization process goes like this - I went to a notary have my DS2019, certificate of employment, and participation letter (given by CFO) then went to the district court for certification, secretary of state office for another certification then last step is Philippine embassy in DC so they can put a red ribbon in each document. You will be asked to come back or have it mailed to your home address.

I send all these documents to CFO in Manila for evaluation and you will receive a letter from them on what you need to do next. You can check the status of her waiver online once you get an EAC #.

I started with my waiver processing summer of 2007 and got my waiver by April 2008. Hope that helps. :)

Timeline
They told me processing would be one week because she is married to a US Citizen.

My problem is, where the heck do I notarize the DS2019 and who needs to sign in front of the notary of republic?

Just photocopy her DS2019 and go to a public notary. I did mine at Bank of AMerica since I have an account there and the manager is a filipina but some friends go to a public notary at a postal shop. Then go to the district court then secretary of state. Final step is Philipine Embassy.

• 7 years later...
Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 8/5/2009 at 9:23 PM, noodlesweasel said:

HI I went through the same thing and they are right when they told you to have her DS 2019 notarized. I was granted a waiver because Im an elementary teacher and Im not on the skills list. I did not hire a lawyer to do this. But if shes on the skills list then the CFO will ask her to a project/seminar to share her experience and I think CFO will ask her to give monetary donation (Im not sure how much though). If you want, send me a PM. :)

Hi. An elementary teacher is not in the skills list? I did not know that. Could you please send some information about that because I'm currently an elementary teacher in Texas. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you very much.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.