steve507

Lost EAD - New Job

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi can anyone help??

I need to start a new job on August 24th but I have lost my EAD card. Does anyone know if I can use a receipt notice to show verification of being able to work legally?

Also I need to renew my UK passport and I dont know how to go about doing it , what is the quickest way to get a new one back as this has also expired.

Can anyone tell me how I go about getting a state ID card so I have something to take to my new job.

Thanks in advance.

Hi can anyone help??

I need to start a new job on August 24th but I have lost my EAD card. Does anyone know if I can use a receipt notice to show verification of being able to work legally?

Also I need to renew my UK passport and I dont know how to go about doing it , what is the quickest way to get a new one back as this has also expired.

Passport Information can be found here.

Can anyone tell me how I go about getting a state ID card so I have something to take to my new job.

In many states you would need either the EAD or PR/Green Card to obtain a state ID - your state may differ.

Thanks in advance.

I don't think the approval notice for the EAD is technically enough - it would certainly be worth a try if you absolutely had to. A replacement card comes with a fee (from what I've read) which would seem ridiculous at this point in your timeline.

Speaking of timelines - what is going on with your AOS?

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline
Won't they be able to call a specific number to verify that I do have authorization to work, just not the actual card (right now) USCIS says it will be 90 days for the plastic.

Thanks

Yeah they share the same number. Your receipt number becomes your card number so in theory they can verify.

Edited by lancer1655

Filed: Other Timeline
Won't they be able to call a specific number to verify that I do have authorization to work, just not the actual card (right now) USCIS says it will be 90 days for the plastic.

Thanks

Yeah they share the same number. Your receipt number becomes your card number so in theory they can verify.

No, that's not how it works.

You have to possess two documents to satisfy the I9 requirements. Without the plastic card, you are a document short.

The Handbook for Employers specifically instructs employers that they are not to accept a receipt.

Thanks

You have to possess two documents to satisfy the I9 requirements. Without the plastic card, you are a document short.

The Handbook for Employers specifically instructs employers that they are not to accept a receipt.

But can't they use the avenue when a card is lost or stolen? Where they have 90 days to produce an already approved card?

Adding:

Is a receipt showing that the employee has filed for a new employment authorization document acceptable as evidence of continuing eligibility for employment?

The employer cannot accept a receipt showing that the employee has filed for an extension or an initial document.

Receipts for applications for employment authorization can only be accepted as evidence of continuing eligibility to be employed in cases where the original document has been lost, stolen, or mutilated. In these cases, the previous document must still have been otherwise valid (still would have been within the validity period previously granted if not lost, stolen, etc.) and the employee must provide the valid replacement document within 90 days.

Link

Edited by LaL

Filed: Other Timeline

Thanks

But can't they use the avenue when a card is lost or stolen? Where they have 90 days to produce an already approved card?

Adding:

Is a receipt showing that the employee has filed for a new employment authorization document acceptable as evidence of continuing eligibility for employment?

The employer cannot accept a receipt showing that the employee has filed for an extension or an initial document.

Receipts for applications for employment authorization can only be accepted as evidence of continuing eligibility to be employed in cases where the original document has been lost, stolen, or mutilated. In these cases, the previous document must still have been otherwise valid (still would have been within the validity period previously granted if not lost, stolen, etc.) and the employee must provide the valid replacement document within 90 days.

Link

I believe what you are going to have to have (in that case) is the receipt for the replacement card - not the original receipt.

Edited by rebeccajo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.