Amazon

SSN - I-94 Problems - HELP PLEASE

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Okay, so it all started off O.K. I got to the U.S on a K1 Visa. Got through customs ok etc..

However, now I have attempted to apply for a SSN and they tell me they cant help me without an "I-94", which should have been stamped or stuck onto my passport upon entering the US. However, my passport just has a generic stamp, like you would have at an airport for example. NO I-94. I now appears that I do not have one at all, and have no way of getting one.

I looked up the US immigration office in our area, and they say, they do not take walk ins and it seems impossible to make an appointment. Also, I tried calling them, after about 30 min of automated service menus it was NO HELP AT ALL and still no live person to talk to..

Can anyone offer any advice or help at all :( I only have until Oct before the actual Visa expires... :wacko:

eNVl.gif R8nu.gif KHYe.gif 2Gxj.gif QAfc.gif vIpQ.gif yjoB.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

The I-94 card/form is given to you to fill out before you go through Immigration at POE. You need this form to send a copy with your Adjustment of Status. If you lost/misplaced it you need to get another one by filing form I-102, the cost is $320.

Keep looking, you may have it hidden somewhere...

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If you don't have an I-94 you can go to the nearest POE, explain your situation to the Border officials because they are the ones who issue I-94s, not USCIS- and they should be able, retroactively, to give you the I-94. It has happened to others before.

Moving to Working and Travelling before Getting a Green Card forum from US. Citizenship forum

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
The I-94 card/form is given to you to fill out before you go through Immigration at POE. You need this form to send a copy with your Adjustment of Status. If you lost/misplaced it you need to get another one by filing form I-102, the cost is $320.

Keep looking, you may have it hidden somewhere...

Diana

I didn't know you could get a SS card with a passport, visa, and even with an I-94, we had to supply an EAD to get a very restricted SS card. Even though my wife had a ten year visa, was told it is worthless without the I-94 and she had to follow the restrictions on that, but once she received her NOA after we sent a ton of forms, evidence, and money for her AOS, we didn't have to worry about her I-94 anymore. Just had to wait for her EAD card, then her conditional card, then her ten year card, then her USC certificate. If your I-751 one year extention runs out, before it does, have to run to your field office to get a I-94 that keeps you legal until they finally send you your ten year card.

Timeline

The OP just moved to the US on her K-1 visa. She hasn't applied for AOS yet. She will need the I-94, however, to apply for AOS.

She is also eligible, as a K-1, to obtain a SSN but she does need to have the I-94 for that.

If you are close enough to the POE where you entered the US you can go back to them and explain the situation, requesting that they put the I-94 in your passport. If you are not close to that POE go to any POE (usually at international airports) and speak to the border control officials - they should have an office in the area - and they should be able to help you out.

You will want to do this soon as you cannot apply for a SSN if you are within 2 weeks of the I-94 expiring - the I-94 will be dated 90 days after your admission to the US.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
The OP just moved to the US on her K-1 visa. She hasn't applied for AOS yet. She will need the I-94, however, to apply for AOS.

She is also eligible, as a K-1, to obtain a SSN but she does need to have the I-94 for that.

If you are close enough to the POE where you entered the US you can go back to them and explain the situation, requesting that they put the I-94 in your passport. If you are not close to that POE go to any POE (usually at international airports) and speak to the border control officials - they should have an office in the area - and they should be able to help you out.

You will want to do this soon as you cannot apply for a SSN if you are within 2 weeks of the I-94 expiring - the I-94 will be dated 90 days after your admission to the US.

- Thank you all for your help and answers, but sadly that makes me just as upset as before, the POE that we entered in is the farthest possible one from where I am now :(. And the closest major airport is about a 3 hr drive away :(

- :ranting: Seriously, if the I-94 is SUCH A BIG DEAL, you would think that the stupid POE officers would know they HAVE to include it when someone comes over on a visa. ! Just when I thought that all the pain in the butt stuff was over with (with exception of the AOS), I have more problems - :ranting:

eNVl.gif R8nu.gif KHYe.gif 2Gxj.gif QAfc.gif vIpQ.gif yjoB.gif

Timeline

It is unfortunate that the officer when you entered didn't do his job correctly. You will need to get an I-94 however, so it is also unfortunate that the closest POE is so far away. And, not to distress you too much - the pain in the butt stuff doesn't really end until you get your US citizenship, although you will get some rest breaks along the way. Good luck.

Here is what you are looking for: Deferred Inspection: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contact..._inspection.xml

and here is a list of Deferred Inspection Sites by city in addition to offices at major airports - there may be something closer to you: http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/toolbo...ction_sites.pdf

Edited by Kathryn41

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.