Bob1971

applying for a K3 visa after I-130 has been approved

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I have submitted two petitions (to USCIS) for my spouse in India. One is a I-130 petition and the other is the I-129F petition. Both of these petitions have been approved (by USCIS - Vermont Service Center) on the same day. NVC has forwarded the I-129F petition (for the K3 visa) to the Madras Consulate (in India) a few days ago.

I read in one of the immigration forums that the consulate would reject the K3 visa if the I-130 petition has been approved. And that we have to go through the IR1/CR1 process for the spouse in India to get the visa to enter US. Is this true?

Any help would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks!

Bob

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
I have submitted two petitions (to USCIS) for my spouse in India. One is a I-130 petition and the other is the I-129F petition. Both of these petitions have been approved (by USCIS - Vermont Service Center) on the same day. NVC has forwarded the I-129F petition (for the K3 visa) to the Madras Consulate (in India) a few days ago.

I read in one of the immigration forums that the consulate would reject the K3 visa if the I-130 petition has been approved. And that we have to go through the IR1/CR1 process for the spouse in India to get the visa to enter US. Is this true?

Thanks!

Bob

Your talking about two different things. Right now you currently have two approved petitions. You can follow both paths. The K-3 is slightly quicker, but the IR-1/CR-1 is a much superior and cheaper path. Your spouse will receive a green card upon arrival in the US without having to file Adjustment of Status.

What you are referring to is if both petitions arrive at the embassy prior to the interview, the consulate MUST interview for the CR-1 visa. The CR-1 petition will never go to the embassy unless you follow the steps going through NVC. The K-3 petition will automatically go to the consulate without you having to do anything at NVC.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Thanks!

Bob

Your talking about two different things. Right now you currently have two approved petitions. You can follow both paths. The K-3 is slightly quicker, but the IR-1/CR-1 is a much superior and cheaper path. Your spouse will receive a green card upon arrival in the US without having to file Adjustment of Status.

What you are referring to is if both petitions arrive at the embassy prior to the interview, the consulate MUST interview for the CR-1 visa. The CR-1 petition will never go to the embassy unless you follow the steps going through NVC. The K-3 petition will automatically go to the consulate without you having to do anything at NVC.

Thanks for your response. I understand the advantages of following the CR-1 process, but I want to take the K3 route so that my wife gets here quickly. The I-130 petition will remain with NVC and will never arrive at the consulate. I just wanted to make sure that when she turns up for her K3 visa interview at the consulate, they will not reject it because her I-130 petition has been approved.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Thanks!

Bob

Thanks for your response. I understand the advantages of following the CR-1 process, but I want to take the K3 route so that my wife gets here quickly. The I-130 petition will remain with NVC and will never arrive at the consulate. I just wanted to make sure that when she turns up for her K3 visa interview at the consulate, they will not reject it because her I-130 petition has been approved.

If you don't respond to NVC concerning the I-130/CR-1, then nothing will happen. They will only forward the K-3 to the consulate. Be prepared for your spouse to not be able to work until the AOS is approved. Also, you are looking at spending another $1010 for the AOS once the SO arrives in the US. Unless you have some reason to get your spouse here 4-6 weeks earlier, then the K-3 is a poor choice.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Thanks!

Bob

Yep, as long as you leave the CR1 at the NVC, they will do the k3 interview at the consulate..NO problems/issues Good luck to you and your wife. :)

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

In my opinion, if you do respond to NVC regarding CR1, you may have both the options available. If K3 is approved first, your spouse can get here quicker and then go back for the I 130 interview again. You may end up spending some money on airfare, however you save on AOS.

USCIS Journey

08/04/2009 - NOA1 CR1

08/13/2009 - NOA1 K3

09/22/2009 - NOA2 approval for both CR1 & K3

NVC Journey

10/02/2009 - NVC case number assigned for CR1

10/02/2009 - ( K3 stuck in AP ! )

10/05/2009 - gave my email address

10/07/2009 - AOS bill / ds3032 generated. AOS bill paid $70

10/09/2009 - spouse emailed ds3032 to NVC

10/09/2009 - AOS status changed from 'In Process' to 'PAID'. AOS Cover Sheet printed

10/10/2009 - cover sheet + I-864 package Sent out

10/15/2009 - NVC received I 864 package - AVR update

10/21/2009 - snail mailed ds3032

10/30/2009 - ds3032 accepted, in response to our email sent on 10/09.

10/30/2009 - IV Application Processing fee generated

11/02/2009 - NVC sends email to pay the IV fee, $400. Fee paid. Status: 'IN PROCESS'.

11/03/2009 - Status changed to 'PAID'

11/03/2009 - (K3 is out of AP and sent to the embassy, per NVC letter)

11/03/2009 - false RFE for ds320.

11/04/2009 - mailed ds230

11/06/2009 - delivered

11/12/2009 - received, per AVR

11/23/2009 - Sign in failed

11/24/2009 - Case complete

11/30/2009 - Interview scheduled for 27-JAN-2010 @ Mumbai

In my opinion, if you do respond to NVC regarding CR1, you may have both the options available. If K3 is approved first, your spouse can get here quicker and then go back for the I 130 interview again. You may end up spending some money on airfare, however you save on AOS.

In my case also, I got both(i-130 and I-129F) approved at the same time.

I am persuing k3 route. my wife got k3 interview apt next month.

I got a letter from NVC asking me to proceed with i-130 route.

What should I do with this letter

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.