4 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi VJ-ers!

So, I'm finally ready to submit my I-864 and I had some last minute questions I wanted to get some feedback on.

I'm submitting my I-864. I've had a job since June, and my annual salary is 27,000 (Above the poverty-limit for two people).

I only made 1,500 for last year (2008) and I did not file taxes. In 2007, I did not work and did not file taxes. In 2006, I made under $60 and was still being claimed as a dependent on my mom's taxes (I was a student during all these years).

My question is: What tax stuff do I need to submit. I have W2s for 2008 and 2006, and I have a copy of my mom's 1040 for 2006, but do I need to submit any of it? Should I submit letters for each of these years stating why I did not file taxes? Maybe only for 2008?

Also, what would I check on question 25 on page 4 of the application?

Since I've only been working for the past two months, the only things I have to include would be all my pay stubs, as well as a letter from my employer stating my salary and start date.

What do you guys think about my chances of not getting a RFE/getting my I-864 approved? What sort of tax stuff do you guys think I should submit and for how many years back?

Thanks again for your help guys! I wish everyone the best of luck and thanks to anyone who responds to this topic!

-Argentina

*~*~*~*~*~Our IR-1 Visa Journey ~*~*~*~*~*

Met in Italy......................June 2006

Married in Italy.................07/21/2007

Sent in I-130......................11/06/2008

NOA 1.............................11/17/2008

NOA 2.............................02/13/2009

I-864 bill & DS-3032 arrive.................02/26/2009

Sent DS-3032 via email........................03/10/2009

DS-3032 receipt email from NVC........03/19/2009

I-864 bill paid......................................03/19/2009

IV bill paid...........................................04/15/2009

I-864 sent to NVC....................................................08/27/2009

Checklist Generated (to send DS-230)......................09/15/2009

Sent in DS-230 & Civil Documents...........................10/15/2009

2nd Checklist Generated............................................12/08/2009

Appt. letter via email..................................................01/11/2010

Visa Interview at Naples, It Consulate......................02/09/2010 - VISA IN HAND

Hi VJ-ers!

So, I'm finally ready to submit my I-864 and I had some last minute questions I wanted to get some feedback on.

I'm submitting my I-864. I've had a job since June, and my annual salary is 27,000 (Above the poverty-limit for two people).

I only made 1,500 for last year (2008) and I did not file taxes. In 2007, I did not work and did not file taxes. In 2006, I made under $60 and was still being claimed as a dependent on my mom's taxes (I was a student during all these years).

My question is: What tax stuff do I need to submit. I have W2s for 2008 and 2006, and I have a copy of my mom's 1040 for 2006, but do I need to submit any of it? Should I submit letters for each of these years stating why I did not file taxes? Maybe only for 2008?

Since I've only been working for the past two months, the only things I have to include would be all my pay stubs, as well as a letter from my employer stating my salary and start date.

What do you guys think about my chances of not getting a RFE/getting my I-864 approved? What sort of tax stuff do you guys think I should submit and for how many years back?

Thanks again for your help guys! I wish everyone the best of luck and thanks to anyone who responds to this topic!

-Argentina

If that is all you send (paystubs/letter) you will get an RFE.

You have to explain why you did not file taxes in 2008. (since you have to submit the most recent tax year return, as per the 864 instructions:

If you were required to file a Federal income tax return duringany of the previous three tax years but did not do so, you must file any and all late returns with IRS and attach an IRS-generated tax return transcript documenting your late filing before submitting the I-864 Affidavit of Support. If you were not required to file a Federal income tax return under U.S. tax law because your income was too low, attach a written explanation. If you were not required to file a Federal income tax return under U.S. tax law for any other reason, attach a written explanation including evidence of the exemption and how you are subject to it.

So - pick the reason above and do what it tells you to do!

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: Other Country: Japan
Timeline

im going thru the same thing right now. in fact she's going to the embassy tomorrow with the stuff i sent down via fedex. i sent exactly what they [ the consulate ] asked for;

1. I-864 form filled out by the joint sponsor

2. 1040 and W2 of joint sponsor

3. job letter of joint sponsor

4. notorized copy of joint sponsor birth certificate

in addition i sent job letters from my 3 jobs along with pay stubs. the reason we had to do a I-864 is becuz in 2008 i was unemployed for awhile and when i finally got a full time job my earnings didnt amount to as much as past years. it pisses me off we have to do this cuz last year was a fluke, i usually make good money and this year is going great. but becuz last year i was unemployed for a few months- a first for me, we gotta do this extra paperwork and stress. I'm hoping and praying we finally get thru tomorrow. hope this helps you out and you get yours. just be prepared, send as much info that you can and make sure its right. [ joint sponsor muct earn above the poverty level for whoever he/she is sponsoring plus any family they might have ]

Hi VJ-ers!

-Argentina

If you can get joint sponsor, it will be much better.

But if you can not get it, you can try this.

1) Write the cover letter why you didn't file the tax returns and recently got the job, so ask them to use your current year income for I-864 purpose

2) fill out F-4506T with selection of "7", proof of not filing tax return. You should get the letter from IRS that you didn't file the tax return for those years.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf

3) Have the school record for your attendance such as the copy of your classes attended and GPA

4) Include your mom's tax return, which has you as dependent listed

5) Employment verification letter from your current employer

6) Copy of Pay Stuffs

7) Copy of your bank account books and other assets you might have.

If it's not working with above information, then you can ask your mom or somebody for I-864A.

But remember that the condition for becoming I-864A is strict, too.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-864A.pdf Page 1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.