MapleLeafBaby

Obtaining a Divers License

13 posts in this topic

I am having such difficulties with obtaining a DL... I came on a K1 on May 29th...I did an import on my car as well. Every State varies, some say you must trans within 30 days, 60 days, 90 days... I figured I had some time. We got married on July 7th... we are currently in the midst of a move from Delaware to PA... so I figured for the time, I would get a DE DL.... well I go after the wedding with:

My SSN (with original form it came on showing my address

A lease to show residency

Birth Cert

marriage cert

Canadian Passport, I-94

They actually turn me away, saying my second piece of 'proof of residency is' is invalid, because my husband threw out the envelope that the SN came in, so there is no way to prove the date it was post marked, I told the lady it was a window envelope and would not have shown anything...was not good enough, they wanted more proof, of items mailed to me at that address... FINE....

I go back to Delaware DE today.... I had

SSN

BC

Marriage cert

insurance from Gieco mailed to me

a credit card mailed to me

my debit card mailed to me

passport and I-94...

This time, she checks with a supervisor and they confirm that due to my status, my K1 expires on Aug 27th, so they can only issue me a DL until Aug 27th.... after that, I will need a GC to get a DL.... and I have to redo the written test, AND A DRIVING TEST!!!!! HAHA! I nearly lost it!!!!! I told her not to bother, as I am not getting a DL for 30 days....

I then called PA, as we are moving within a month or two.... (we actually already own the property, and have mail going there, but we have not physically moved in due to reno's) they told me the same thing...that I can only get a DL while my K1 is valid.... and it will expire when my K1 does?

How can this be"???? Does this mean that people walk around with a 3 month DL, and then have a gap of 6-9 months waiting for a GC????

This cannot be right.... what am I missing? I cannot get my car registered until I have a DL?

I know some States are like this (like CA) but I thought PA is not like this?

Any experience from PA people is appreciated.

I managed to get car insurance here, but they are giving me 6 months to get a DL....

Edited by poprocks

N-400 Citizenship

06/27/2014 Mailed N-400 Packet

07/02/2014 Tracking Confirmation Packet Rec'd @ USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes, many states enacted new legislation about 1 1/2 years ago as a means to fight illegal immigration. The problem is that many legal immigrants get caught up in the same red tape. Many states do not issue DL unless you have a valid immigration document and then only for the length of time of the document. Did you apply for an EAD? You can use that when it comes in and it should come in sooner than the green card. I know I drove on my Canadian license until my EAD came in but that was before the rules changed. Check to see if you can continue to use your Canadian license until your EAD arrives - although that won't help with the car registration. Can the car be registered in your husband's name? Would that be a solution?

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I just e-mailed you Pop.... in PA you ARE eligible for a DL even without EAD or GC. I sent you the link from PENNDOT's own website as proof. I got a 4 year DL with no EAD or GC, however I had to bring the proof from PENNDOT's own website as the staff there have no idea what to do when an immigrant comes in. Bring this document and speak to a manager. How can they refute what is on their own website

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

I got Peter to check on the DL situation for me in Wisconsin...apparently according to whomever he talked to, they told him I have a year on my Canadian Lis. to give me time to get my GC but that I can register my car in Wisconsin as soon as I get there. #######! I can register my car in Wisconsin, get Wisconsin plates, but can't change my DL. The insurance company said they can't give me insurance till I have my Wisconsin DL, and my insurance company in Canada wants a 50% surcharge for insuring my car in the US. The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. I told Petie to wait a couple days and go talk to someone else and see what kind of answers he gets. Good luck Poprocks! I hope you get it figured out soon.

Wisconsin Hunter & A Canadian Beaver

event.png

Could I suggest that the link to PENNDOT is posted in here so as to help future VJ readers. :thumbs:

AOS Application

AOS posted 5/30/2007

AOS arrived in Chicago 6/1/2007

NOA1 rcvd 6/11/2007, dated 6/6/2007

AOS/EAD/AP touched 6/10/2007

AOS/EAD/AP touched 6/11/2007

Rcvd AOS/EAD Biometrics appt. letter 6/19/2007

I130/EAD/AP touched 6/24/2007

AOS/EAD Biometrics appt. 7/6/2007

AOS/EAD touched 7/6/2007

AOS/EAD touched 7/9/2007

AP touched 8/14/2007

AP touched 8/15/2007

AP touched 8/16/2007

EAD approved 8/20 EAD Approved

Rcvd AP in post 8/22/2007 AP Approved

AOS Interview 9/26/2007

AOS Approved 9/26/2007

I-751 Petition to Remove Conditions of Residence

I-751 mailed 07/06/09

I-751 arrived VSC 07/07/09

NOA1 dated 07/07/09

Biometrics 08/13/0

I-751 Approval 12/10/09 I-751 Approved

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_...ts/pub195nc.pdf

I'll give it a shot... I have one proof of residency for this address, I'll try and get together something else and go in.... Keep ya posted :(

N-400 Citizenship

Also the DMV lady is ignorant in that your K1 visa is no longer valid upon entry. Your status is then derived off the I 94, and after that, your pending AOS application. I love it when other agencies try to interpret immigration...!

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline
I just e-mailed you Pop.... in PA you ARE eligible for a DL even without EAD or GC. I sent you the link from PENNDOT's own website as proof. I got a 4 year DL with no EAD or GC, however I had to bring the proof from PENNDOT's own website as the staff there have no idea what to do when an immigrant comes in. Bring this document and speak to a manager. How can they refute what is on their own website

I stand corrected.

I am AOS not K1 so based my incorrect answer on my own experience. Apologies to the OP - my bad :(

lolfs.gif

Thanks for the help everyone...i'm going to gather what I have and that bulletin from their site, and try AGAIN this week lol.... I hope it works. I managed to get insured here with my Canadian plates and DL...they're giving me time to convert over, which is nice...cause I know if I had kept my Canadian insurance and something would have happened, they may have given me problems for residing in the US for some time without notification....gotta love insurance U/W depts! :)))

N-400 Citizenship

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

if it makes you feel better Pop, I've had troubles too...I went down too close to the end of my I94, so they said wait for your EAD...so I did that-went with all the info they wanted; passport, EAD, BC, CDN DL, two bills, ssn and marriage cert

So the lad takes it, looks at it....and says "why is your EAD in your married name?"....because I'm married?

He said he wasn't sure what he could do and went to talk to a supervisor. He comes back 10 mins later, and gives me the scoop:

Because my US ID (EAD) is in a different name then my SSN, they are going to take all my info, get me to do the written test, give me a license number...

But not give me the damn license...I have to wait until I change my name on my SSN, which can only be done when I get my GC *sigh*

I think he sensed my frusteration...he told me as long as I had insurance, my CDN license was totally valid and I'd be fine - "so drive away ya little Canadian"

I feel your pain chicka :)

~She's my Lion~
~He's my Puppy~

[size=5]Our Timeline[/size]

05/05/08 - Sent I-129F to VSC
05/14/08 - NOA1
09/01/08 - NOA2
09/11/08 - Petition received by US Consulate in Montreal
09/20/08 - Received Packet 3
10/02/08 - Packet 3 delivered to MTL
10/16/08 - Medical in Halifax
01/15/09 - Interview in Montreal
01/20/09 - Visa in Hand
02/03/09 - Fly to US - POE Halifax NS
03/06/09 - Wedding in Yanceyville, NC

AOS
4/24/09 - Sent AOS package (after too many delays!)
4/27/09 - Signed for in Chicago
5/05/09 - Check cashed and all three NOA1's in the mail
5/14/09 - Received Biometrics appointment letter - Appointment is June 2nd.
6/2/09 - Biometrics at Raleigh field office - they were some of the nicest people :)
6/18/09 - EAD approved and card production ordered
6/20/09- received AP papers in the mail
6/22/09 EAD card arrived in the mail (that was fast eh?)
7/09/09 - received notice of GC appointment date
8/07/09 - Green Card interview at Raleigh Field office at 8:45am - Given RFE for I-693 Vaccination suppliment
9/08/09 - returned RFE to field office. Approved for Green Card
9/09/09 - Received email that Card production had been ordered.
9/17/09 - Green Card in the mail - No more USCIS until June, 2011 :D

Filed: Timeline
if it makes you feel better Pop, I've had troubles too...I went down too close to the end of my I94, so they said wait for your EAD...so I did that-went with all the info they wanted; passport, EAD, BC, CDN DL, two bills, ssn and marriage cert

So the lad takes it, looks at it....and says "why is your EAD in your married name?"....because I'm married?

He said he wasn't sure what he could do and went to talk to a supervisor. He comes back 10 mins later, and gives me the scoop:

Because my US ID (EAD) is in a different name then my SSN, they are going to take all my info, get me to do the written test, give me a license number...

But not give me the damn license...I have to wait until I change my name on my SSN, which can only be done when I get my GC *sigh*

I think he sensed my frusteration...he told me as long as I had insurance, my CDN license was totally valid and I'd be fine - "so drive away ya little Canadian"

You can use your EAD to change your SSN name, no problem. You need to have your GC to get an unrestricted SSN though.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

That's actually BS, your legal name change document is your marriage license. That's all you need to change your name on ANY document.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.