Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

I'm Canadian, husband is American

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: Country: Canada

I'm a little bit confused here so I'm happy to have found a forum with some peopel who may be able to help :)

My husband and I got married last April, we intended for him to immigrate to Canada... however I got pregnant in July and then we weren't very sure what to do. I had our daughter this April and my husband saw some job openings in Florida for a job of his interest. We've decided if he can get the job then we will move down there.. but if he doesn't we will most likely stay in Canada.

Now we haven't started filing for either US or Canadian immigraton yet.. not until we finialize our decision. We crossed the border with our daughter (who has a canadian passport) the end of June. The officer said technically he could deny me entry but he let me through anyways and said to visit an immigration office while in Florida. We went to the office and the officer first said to not leave the US if I'm scared of being denied back in, wait to see what happens and then file to change status while in the US. He said we could also fill out an N-600 form for our daughter to make her a US citizen. Then he looked at my passport and the officer at the border had given me a B-2 visa... he said that if I tried to change status I could have problems. He then advised me to come back to canada and upon re-entry ask for an I-94.

Now I've been reading some and it it seems that Canadians don't need I-94s and I don't want to ask for something if it's just going to create a problem for me ... and then my daughter and I cannot see my husband for months.

I have a flight planned for Aug 19th... if I go and tell them I'm visiting family like I always do.. and while i'm down there my husband gets the job and we decide to stay... will I be able to file for an adjustment of status... or do I need to ask for this I-94 document at the border?


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada

You can file for an adjustment of status without an I-94.

There are possible other complications with this though. Generally when you travel to the U.S. you need to provide strong proof of ties to Canada - return ticket, mortgage or lease, letter from your employer stating when you are returning etc etc.

Do you have any of these things?

Whether or not they let you back in is entirely up to the person at your point of entry. If they think you are moving to the U.S. to take up residency they may well deny you. It is not legal to enter the United States under the pretense of a visit and then attempt to change your status to that of a permanent resident.

Edited by trailmix

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...