hsd31

K1 and police clearance issue

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Sorry for the long post..

My fiance in US applied for a K1 visa for me last year and I was called for an interview in Feb. The interview went well and the consulate said that they will approve the K1 provided I can provide a Police Clearance from Qatar (I worked there for about 5 yrs, but had left the job 2 yrs ago).

Since Dec of last year, I've tried every means possible of trying to get a Police Clearance from that country, but the application has been stuck in some bureaucratic limbo for the last 8 months. I've hired a local lawyer in that country too, but they have been unable to get the police clearance or even a denial letter from the concerned department. Every time my lawyers try to get information on the case, the authorities say that the will not release the info as it is classfied. I do not have any police or criminal record in that country and never overstayed, etc

I'm now at my wits end. The US consulate has given me time till Aug to submit the Police Clearance along with my Passport for stamping and I don't see that happening. Any advice on how I can proceed. Is there any way I can convince the US consulate to forgo the Police Clearance. Someone had suggested to try and get a denial letter for the Police Clearance from the right authorities in that country, but I can't get that either, they simply refuse to issue any letter. Maybe it was my lawyers frequent inquires that ticked them off.

I do have the Fedex receipt/invoice of my initial request for Police Clearance to that country's Interior Ministry. I can also get an affidavit from my lawyers in that country stating that they have been trying since the past 6 months and are unable to get the Police clearance or a denial from the Ministry. I might also be able to get a Character verification letter from my previous employers in Qatar stating that I left on my own terms and with no outstanding legal issues.

Are there any other documents that might help? has anyone else gone through a similar situation? Are there any 3rd parties that performs independent police verification and are they acceptable by the US embassy?

Please help !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
Sorry for the long post..

My fiancé in US applied for a K1 visa for me last year and I was called for an interview in Feb. The interview went well and the consulate said that they will approve the K1 provided I can provide a Police Clearance from Qatar (I worked there for about 5 yrs, but had left the job 2 yrs ago).

Since Dec of last year, I've tried every means possible of trying to get a Police Clearance from that country, but the application has been stuck in some bureaucratic limbo for the last 8 months. I've hired a local lawyer in that country too, but they have been unable to get the police clearance or even a denial letter from the concerned department. Every time my lawyers try to get information on the case, the authorities say that the will not release the info as it is classfied. I do not have any police or criminal record in that country and never overstayed, etc

I'm now at my wits end. The US consulate has given me time till Aug to submit the Police Clearance along with my Passport for stamping and I don't see that happening. Any advice on how I can proceed. Is there any way I can convince the US consulate to forgo the Police Clearance. Someone had suggested to try and get a denial letter for the Police Clearance from the right authorities in that country, but I can't get that either, they simply refuse to issue any letter. Maybe it was my lawyers frequent inquires that ticked them off.

I do have the Fedex receipt/invoice of my initial request for Police Clearance to that country's Interior Ministry. I can also get an affidavit from my lawyers in that country stating that they have been trying since the past 6 months and are unable to get the Police clearance or a denial from the Ministry. I might also be able to get a Character verification letter from my previous employers in Qatar stating that I left on my own terms and with no outstanding legal issues.

Are there any other documents that might help? has anyone else gone through a similar situation? Are there any 3rd parties that performs independent police verification and are they acceptable by the US embassy?

Please help !

Here is the reciprocity information about obtaining a police certificate from Qutar.

Former residents should write to the Department of Public Security and General Administration, Ministry of Interior, P.O. Box 920, Doha, State of Qatar supported by the following documents:

A letter requesting the issuance of a Police Clearance Certificate from the State of Qatar. The letter should include the purpose in requesting the Police Clearance Certificate, the first date of arrival of the person in Qatar and the last date of departure.

A complete photocopy of all pages of the passport (include copies of all pages, regardless of entries).

A set of fingerprints taken by a competent government authority from the applicant's current place of residence.

3 passportdue to-size photographs.

A self-addressed return envelope large enough to hold an A4 size document.

The Police Clearance Certificate will be issued in about two weeks and will be mailed to the applicant.

My husband and I had a similar problem with getting a police certificate from St Maartin. An alternative would be to have the lawyer in Qutar do an inquiry with the Ministry of police to see if you have any criminal record there. Then the lawyer needs to write on their legal letter head stating that they have tried repeatedly to get an official copy of the police report and that through their findings there was no criminal record for you in that country. You will also want to contact the embassy stating your situation and your repeated attempts to get the certificate. Ask them if getting a letter from a lawyer in Qutar would be acceptable. Also make sure to bring all correspondence attempting to get the certificate.

This worked for us when we couldn't get the police certificate from St Maartin but make sure to contact the embassy before hand to make sure this will be acceptable.

Edited by dagnytaggart

=)

Qatar does issue Police Clearance certificates for non-qatari nationals. Online they say it takes 2 weeks to process, but it has been 8 months since I first submitted the request.

there are some countries that simply will not issue that report unless ur a national of that country for example saudi where perviz worked for a year wont do it.

does Qatar fall into that as well?

sara

Thanks for the reply and the information.

Good to know that you went through a similar situation and things worked out in the end.

I will ask the Qatari lawyers if they can do an independent police verification that doesn't involve the Interior Ministry.

Here is the reciprocity information about obtaining a police certificate from Qutar.

Former residents should write to the Department of Public Security and General Administration, Ministry of Interior, P.O. Box 920, Doha, State of Qatar supported by the following documents:

A letter requesting the issuance of a Police Clearance Certificate from the State of Qatar. The letter should include the purpose in requesting the Police Clearance Certificate, the first date of arrival of the person in Qatar and the last date of departure.

A complete photocopy of all pages of the passport (include copies of all pages, regardless of entries).

A set of fingerprints taken by a competent government authority from the applicant's current place of residence.

3 passportdue to-size photographs.

A self-addressed return envelope large enough to hold an A4 size document.

The Police Clearance Certificate will be issued in about two weeks and will be mailed to the applicant.

My husband and I had a similar problem with getting a police certificate from St Maartin. An alternative would be to have the lawyer in Qutar do an inquiry with the Ministry of police to see if you have any criminal record there. Then the lawyer needs to write on their legal letter head stating that they have tried repeatedly to get an official copy of the police report and that through their findings there was no criminal record for you in that country. You will also want to contact the embassy stating your situation and your repeated attempts to get the certificate. Ask them if getting a letter from a lawyer in Qutar would be acceptable. Also make sure to bring all correspondence attempting to get the certificate.

This worked for us when we couldn't get the police certificate from St Maartin but make sure to contact the embassy before hand to make sure this will be acceptable.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.