creasy19

change of address during AOS

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

HI there, i need some help on a topic. I recently came accross to the states on my K-1 visa and then i just filed for AOS. i have now got an appointment for my biometrics to be taken, so i will be going for that on the 12th of August.

My question though is this, i moved over here and my wife and i stayed with her parents while we got married and settled, so right now we are living in wisconsin with my wifes parents, however once i have my biometrics taken we will be moving to tennessee where my wife goes to college. So far everything we have filed has been done through her parents address, i have all my official mail delivered here, my question is, if we move to tennessee after the biometrics, do we need to file for a change of address if my mail would still be safely arriving at her parents? it is not an issue for it to arrive here as her parents will gladly forward any mail to us in tennessee, but i was wondering if i would get in trouble for moving states without letting them know?

I have read that changing addresses is a pain, i assume mainly because your stuff will often be delivered to your old address, but seeing as we don`t have the problem of losing our mail, do i still need to file as a change of address?

Also, we do not mind travelling back to do the interview in Wisconsin, so i am confused as to whether i should just leave things as they are, as they seem to be going along quite fast and smooth at the millwaukee office, or should i inform them of my change of address?

Also, does anyone know how to inform them of the change of address?

Any help at all would be really appreciated.

thank you very much

Paul

It isn't a matter of what is convenient, rather you are required to submit a change of address when you move. The foreign spouse is required to submit an AR-11 within 10 days of moving and the USC Sponsor (and/or Co-Sponsor) are required to submit an I-865 within 30 days of moving. Filing either is not a pain - it's actually pretty simple.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

The reason people complain about the change of address is that many file their new address with USCIS but for whatever reason USCIS still mails their stuff (appointment letters, greencard, ead, etc) to the old address and not the new address, even though uscis has the new address on file; however, since your old address will be a family address, then that shouldn't be a problem as any letters from uscis mailed to the old address instead of the new address will still make it to you, since i'm sure your family will send you the mail.

But if you're planning on moving, you need to change your address, notify uscis, because if you read the requirements, failure to notify of an address change will make you eligible for your case being thrown out. The only time when you wouldn't notify uscis of an address change is if you're moving to a temporary address because of work, etc; for example, when we were in the middle of our AOS i had to move to texas for 3 months, but that was a temporary address, so i still left my permanent address of florida intact, and didn't notify uscis of the new address because the new address was a temporary address, and not a permanent address; i had people tell me i needed to notify uscis, but that was not a smart advice, and obviously, we got the greencard without any problems, even though I was told by some that I had make my case ineligible. :)

Edited by ikarus

AOS

2009-01-12===> Sent AOS packet via UPS
2009-01-13===> AOS packet received
2009-01-28===> NOA's received in the mail
2009-02-01===> Biometric appt received in the mail
2009-02-06===> Completed biometric appt thru walk-in
2009-02-06===> Applied for expedited AP thru the phone
2009-02-14===> Received AP in the mail
2009-02-11===> Case transferred to CSC
2009-02-23===> EAD received
2009-05-02===> Green card received in the mail, no interview done.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.