lisaf

to the fluffy Kitten possy (in NY?)

4 posts in this topic

Hi Gang,

around 9 weeks ago, hubbie found 3 starving abandoned kittens in our garage. One had just died. At the time they were probably 3 weeks old. He hand fed them with a dropper and goat milk formula then got them onto real food.

They are now around 12 weeks old, happy, boisterous and loving. VERY curious about our dogs. Unfortunately we have four dogs, one loves kittens ( a lab) the others are mastiffs and lets just say not into cats. They know how to use the litter box. One female one male.

We are terrified of Craigslist having heard horror stories of kittens being picked up for pit bull bait, snake food, animal testing etc. Cat rescue orgs say they are flooded with ferral cat breeding season and told us to put them on Craigslist! I did try, got one lead who flaked out, then one who sounded a bit creepy so I ignored it...

We are in Long Island NY, but I work in Manhattan so can transport...anyone nearby or with a friend nearby, or connections to a rescue???

they'll need shots etc. With our own animals and resposibilities, finances are tight.

cheers :thumbs:

post-21365-1248113886_thumb.jpg

post-21365-1248113934_thumb.jpg

post-21365-1248113960_thumb.jpg

Edited by lisaf

April 14 - sent I-129F to Vermont

April 25 - NOA1

May, June, July lost to IMBRA and RFE's

Aug 22 - NOA2

Sept 25 - interview date OCTOBER 13th

Oct 26 - arrived at JFK - work authorized

Nov 21 - apply SSN, received Nov 29

Dec 16 - marriage license

Jan 05 - wedding

Jan 30 - AOS begins

AOS

Feb 07 - NOA1 ,check cashed

Feb 28 - notice I-485 sent to CSC

Mar 10 - Biometrics

Apr 16 - surprise RFE arrives..they lost my medical. New medical returned, Apr 23

Jun 1st - RFE ..more medical BS ( go back for TB skin test)

Jun 28 - CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!!!

July 06- Green card arrives.

LIFTING CONDITIONS 2009

June 12 - mailed package

June 15 - check cashed

June 19 - NOA extension letter ( card expires June 26th)

July 03 - Biometrics notice

July 14 - Biometrics appointment

OCT 29 - CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!!!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Have a look in your local yellow book for local shelters. Now, do NOT surrender them though - unless a no-kill, the kittens would be euthanised within 10 days if not found a home. However, ask the shelters if they do PetFinder and if you could advertise the kittens on there.

You have to be a registered charity to use Petfinder, but many shelters will let you do it, as long as you keep the kittens in the meantime. Maybe as payment you could volunteer some time in return.

If you do decide to use Craigslist, get some questions handy. At our shelter here in Indiana we ask the following questions for all our adoption applications:

Do you currently have animals of your own?

Are their shots up to date and are they spayed/neutered?

Who is your vet (ask for telephone number)?

Who would be the primary caregiver for the animal?

If you moved home, what would you do with the animal?

How many hours will the animal be on it's own per day?

If someone wants to own a pet and is genuine, they will take the time to answer the questions. Make sure they will get the animals spayed and neutered if you can't (although many shelters offer $10 certificates so it's worth you looking into this) otherwise by adopting them out you will just be adding to the overpopulation problem once more.

You can call their vets too to verify they have pets that are cared for.

It's going to take some effort from you, I'm afraid, but if the kittens get good homes it'll be worth it.

I also suggest you charge a little bit for the kittens. Animals that have been paid for routinely get better care and homes than ones that are free.

Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

good for you for saving these little ones! I've been in the same position so I understand what you are going through - I currently have a stray who I neutered who needs a home too.

Make up posters with pictures of the kittens and take them around to the local vets in the area and ask to put them up on their bulletin boards. If you have professional offices like chiropractors or therapists who have a bulletin board ask if you can put one up there. I also had a health food store willing to put up a poster. I found a home for one of the stray cats who came around through a poster at my chiropractors. Think creatively - target locations that are frequented by people who are used to looking after themselves responsibly - they are more likely to look after their pets responsibly as well.

Persephone gave you great advice as well. I would keep away from Craigslist and if you do advertise use a local newspaper and charge a fee. See if you can deliver the kitten to its new home so you have a chance to see the home and decide whether it will be suitable. I did refuse to leave a cat in a home where I knew the animal wouldn't be looked after and took it back with me.

Good luck in finding homes for these guys - it would be great if they could be adopted together.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

thanks guys, we will forge ahead! yes it would be great if they could go together, they're such good mates. :luv:

April 14 - sent I-129F to Vermont

April 25 - NOA1

May, June, July lost to IMBRA and RFE's

Aug 22 - NOA2

Sept 25 - interview date OCTOBER 13th

Oct 26 - arrived at JFK - work authorized

Nov 21 - apply SSN, received Nov 29

Dec 16 - marriage license

Jan 05 - wedding

Jan 30 - AOS begins

AOS

Feb 07 - NOA1 ,check cashed

Feb 28 - notice I-485 sent to CSC

Mar 10 - Biometrics

Apr 16 - surprise RFE arrives..they lost my medical. New medical returned, Apr 23

Jun 1st - RFE ..more medical BS ( go back for TB skin test)

Jun 28 - CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!!!

July 06- Green card arrives.

LIFTING CONDITIONS 2009

June 12 - mailed package

June 15 - check cashed

June 19 - NOA extension letter ( card expires June 26th)

July 03 - Biometrics notice

July 14 - Biometrics appointment

OCT 29 - CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!!!