GabiandVi

G-325A form question

5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Benin
Timeline

I'm trying to fill out this form and I'm a little confused about what to put for my address for the last five years and my address abroad for more than a year.

I lived in China for 8 years. During that time, my mailing address was always my place of employment because mail not addressed in Chinese characters was not delivered unless the addressee had an agent at the post office who was paid to look for mail addressed in a particular alphabet to a particular address. I lived in several different apartments during my time there, but I don't even know the street address for these places, and for the last place, I don't even know the street name, only the name of the housing development and district it was located in.

In the last five years, I lived in three different apartments in China. Should I list each of these separately, or do you think I can get away with listing just one address for the last five years - my place of employment? On my tax returns, I put the address of my place of employment, but I was less worried about the IRS being as concerned about my address as I am about the USCIS.

If I put the three different addresses, I don't know how to answser the next item, "Applicant's last address outside the US for more than a year". I only lived in the last apartment for 8 months before moving back to the US. I was not at that address for more than a year, but I was outside the US for a total of 12 years.

Whatever I decide to do, I will have to be consistent with my husband's forms and that includes the last address we shared. If I go with my employer's address, I will also give this as the address we shared. This is valid for my purposes, I feel, because his visa to China during that time was through my employer as my spouse.

Does anyone have any advice? Thanks.

Edited by GabiandVi

AOS Timeline

4/14/10 - Packet received at Chicago Lockbox at 9:22 AM (Day 1)

4/24/10 - Received hardcopy NOAs (Day 10)

5/14/10 - Biometrics taken. (Day 31)

5/29/10 - Interview letter received 6/30 at 10:30 (Day 46)

6/30/10 - Interview: 10:30 (Day 77) APPROVED!!!

6/30/10 - EAD received in the mail

7/19/10 - GC in hand! (Day 96) .

In the last five years, I lived in three different apartments in China. Should I list each of these separately, or do you think I can get away with listing just one address for the last five years - my place of employment? On my tax returns, I put the address of my place of employment, but I was less worried about the IRS being as concerned about my address as I am about the USCIS. Just answer openly and truthfully - this is a biographical data sheet and there is nothing to 'get away with' - list all applicable addresses.

If I put the three different addresses, I don't know how to answser the next item, "Applicant's last address outside the US for more than a year". I only lived in the last apartment for 8 months before moving back to the US. I was not at that address for more than a year, but I was outside the US for a total of 12 years. They are asking for the last address you lived where you lived there a year or more - if that means something other than the last place you lived, then list that.

It (the G-235A) is not a tricky form - there's no real wrong answer - simply complete the questions as they request - try not to over-think the questions. :thumbs:

Timeline
In the last five years, I lived in three different apartments in China. Should I list each of these separately, or do you think I can get away with listing just one address for the last five years - my place of employment? On my tax returns, I put the address of my place of employment, but I was less worried about the IRS being as concerned about my address as I am about the USCIS. Just answer openly and truthfully - this is a biographical data sheet and there is nothing to 'get away with' - list all applicable addresses.

If I put the three different addresses, I don't know how to answser the next item, "Applicant's last address outside the US for more than a year". I only lived in the last apartment for 8 months before moving back to the US. I was not at that address for more than a year, but I was outside the US for a total of 12 years. They are asking for the last address you lived where you lived there a year or more - if that means something other than the last place you lived, then list that.

It (the G-235A) is not a tricky form - there's no real wrong answer - simply complete the questions as they request - try not to over-think the questions. :thumbs:

Thanks. The form should be straight forward and it seemed so until I actually started inputting the info. Like I said, I don't even know my physical addresses. I'm sure I could find that information, but I'm also worried that the address listed on my tax returns will not match the addresses on the G-325A. For the entire 8 years I lived in China, I always listed my employer address for any documents I needed. I never even gave it a second thought until now. If I weren't overthinking it, I would go with my employer's address. I guess that is what I'll do.

AOS Timeline

Thanks. The form should be straight forward and it seemed so until I actually started inputting the info. Like I said, I don't even know my physical addresses. I'm sure I could find that information, but I'm also worried that the address listed on my tax returns will not match the addresses on the G-325A. For the entire 8 years I lived in China, I always listed my employer address for any documents I needed. I never even gave it a second thought until now. If I weren't overthinking it, I would go with my employer's address. I guess that is what I'll do.

Tax return address(s) don't necessarily need to match what is on the G-325a

Timeline

Tax return address(s) don't necessarily need to match what is on the G-325a

That's true, usually, but I had to file a form 2555 with my 1040 in order to get the foreign earned income exclusion, and it asks for my address abroad. It probably wouldn't come into play until I had to file the affidavit of support, but I still wonder about it. I guess I'll just go with my initial thought and use my former employer's address as my address. Until I started to doubt myself with this form, I never gave it a second thought. I filled out dozens and dozens of official documents over the years listing my employer's address as my address abroad. This way, I'll be consistent.

Thanks again.

AOS Timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.