8 posts in this topic

Hi, I become a LPR 2.5 years ago when i was 21, i'm 23 now! I unfortunately forgot register with selective service and i want to apply for citizenship next year! Can i register now and i will be ok? Thanks

Removing Conditions

April 13th 2009: I-751 sent to CSC

April 15th 2009: Package received at CSC

April 27th 2009: Check Cashed

May 15th 2009: Received Biometrics Notice

May 18th 2009: NOA1 finally showed up

May 30th 2009: Biometrics Appointment

June 13th 2009: Received RFE

June 16th 2009: Sent RFE to CSC

June 17th 2009: CSC Received RFE

July 15th 2009: CRIS email : card production ordered

July 20th 2009: CRIS email : approval notice sent

July 23rd 2009: Received 10 Year Green Card!

Hi, I become a LPR 2.5 years ago when i was 21, i'm 23 now! I unfortunately forgot register with selective service and i want to apply for citizenship next year! Can i register now and i will be ok? Thanks

If you are a man ages 18 through 25 and living in the U.S., then you must register with Selective Service. It’s the law. You can register at any U.S. Post Office and do not need a social security number. When you do obtain a social security number, let Selective Service know. Provide a copy of your new social security number card; being sure to include your complete name, date of birth, Selective Service registration number, and current mailing address; and mail to the Selective Service System, P.O. Box 94636, Palatine, IL 60094-4636.

Be sure to register before your 26th birthday. After that, it’s too late!

Late registrations are accepted, but not once a man reaches age 26. Men who do not register within the 60-day window are technically in violation of the law and should register as soon as possible.

SSS

Edited by Bobby_Umit

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

So if i regeister now i can still become a citizen next year no problems?

Removing Conditions

So if i regeister now i can still become a citizen next year no problems?

I can't guess that - but like it's posted - your technically in violation of the law, and I know getting arrested, convicted is not helpful to becoming an USC.

Go ahead and register - only time you really should sweat it is if your past 26 years of age - which your not.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

I'm gonna register today! But i just wanted too know if it's too late as i have already been here a while and if it will be an issue that i didn't register sooner when i apply for citizenship?

Removing Conditions

I thought Bobby answered your question quite well:

"I can't guess that - but like it's posted - your technically in violation of the law, and I know getting arrested, convicted is not helpful to becoming an USC.

Go ahead and register - only time you really should sweat it is if your past 26 years of age - which your not."

SA4userbar.jpg

Ok Thanks guys

Removing Conditions

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.