HowieD

Green Card Denied

8 posts in this topic

I am writing for an amerasian friend of mine from Vietnam that is an adult who came to America in 1992. As a result of an arrest back in the early '90's(which is being contested for purposes of vacating the sentence), he has only been allowed a greencard all of these years. Recently he lost his wallet including his greencard. He applied for a replacement greencard and he was denied.

The reason they denied it was because he is no longer in deportation hearings. That is a closed matter. Odd huh?

He would be eligible for a green card if he was being detained but not if he wasnt. :blink:

" Eligibility for a card while in deportation or exclusion proceedings. A person in exclusion proceedings shall be entitled to evidence of permanent resident status until ordered excluded. Such evidence shall be in the form of a temporary Form I551 issued for a period sufficient to accomplish the exclusion proceedings. A person in deportation proceedings shall be entitled to evidence of permanent resident status until ordered deported or excluded. "

"The USCIS has no record showing that you subsequently regained lawful permanent resident status. Since you are no longer in removal proceedings, you are ineligible to receive evidence of permanent resident status. Therefore, your form I-90.... is hereby denied. There is no appeal to this decision.

However, you may file a motion to reopen on Form I-290B.... and must state new facts."

As a son of an american airman shouldnt he be able to petition for citizenship instead of fighting for a green card? Who will he need to contact? A lawyer? USCIS? :huh:

He has had his DNA taken and identified. He knows the name of his father but has never been able to locate him if he still survives.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Here's a good place to start:

Application for Certificate of Citizenship

N-600 Instructions

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/N-600instr.pdf

N-600 Form

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/N-600.pdf

The title you used for your post makes it look at first glance like it belongs in the AOS forum. Having read through it, I think it does belong here in the Citizenship forum so I hope no one moves it by mistake.

Edited by jsnearline

08/28/2004 Engaged

09/22/2004 I-129F submitted

10/01/2004 I-129F Approved

12/15/2004 K1 Issued

12/30/2004 Arrival in US

02/19/2005 Married

01/30/2006 Conditional Green Card Approved

01/15/2008 Conditions Removed and 10 Year Card Issued

03/28/2009 N-400 mailed to Lockbox

07/17/2009 Interview Denver USCIS office RECOMMENDED FOR APPROVAL

08/28/2009 Naturalization Ceremony - US District Court - Denver, Colorado[/b][/u]

09/04/2009 Applied for passport

09/22/2009 Passport approved and mailed

09/24/2009 Passport received

08/26/2009 Naturalization Certificate and Name Change Petition arrive back from State Department

I think your question is too complicated to be solved here.....I would strongly recommend getting in touch with an immigration lawyer to get better direction....

****MY MOM'S JOURNEY****

Sponsorship

05/13/2011 Sent I-130 Form for Mother

09/28/2011 NOA2 - I-130approved

10/19/2011 NVC Case Number Assigned

****MY JOURNEY****

Citizenship

06/10/2009 Sent N-400 to TX

07/14/2009 Biometrics Date

09/02/2009 Interview at Mount Laurel Office - verbal approval :)

10/26/2009 Oath Ceremony...Officially a CITIZEN

10/26/2009 Applied for a US Passport

Removing Conditions

06/09/2008 Mailed I-751 Packet, Removal of Conditions on Residence

07/23/2008 Biometrics Done

02/11/2009 Case transferred to CSC

03/23/2009 Case Transferred to Newark, NJ, Awaiting Interview.

06/25/2009 Interview...APPROVED!!!...Never Received 10 year GC

AOS

03/24/2006 Sent AOS Forms (I-130, I-485, I-765)

04/18/2006 Biometrics Processed

05/13/2006 RFE for I-485 processing (need I-864)

06/20/2006 Sent in RFE

07/22/2006 Recieved EAD card

09/06/2006 AOS Interview...APPROVED

09/18/2006 Got my PR Card

Here's a good place to start:

Application for Certificate of Citizenship

N-600 Instructions

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/N-600instr.pdf

N-600 Form

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/N-600.pdf

The title you used for your post makes it look at first glance like it belongs in the AOS forum. Having read through it, I think it does belong here in the Citizenship forum so I hope no one moves it by mistake.

Thank you for your kind assistance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

If the USCIS claims to only hold fingerprints for 15 months, something about limited data space, one can only wonder how long they hold important data such as green cards or USC certificates? They sure recommend you make and keep copies of these important documents and want to see them in case they need to be replaced.

Feel your friends greatest challenge is proving he is the offspring of a USC and if he does hold the evidence, all should go smooth.

Do follow the suggestions of finding an immigration attorney, but let me add, an attorney that is part of a large immigration law firm, that makes a big difference on the tune you will get from the USCIS, they are a lot more careful and considerate in making a decision.

If the USCIS claims to only hold fingerprints for 15 months, something about limited data space, one can only wonder how long they hold important data such as green cards or USC certificates? They sure recommend you make and keep copies of these important documents and want to see them in case they need to be replaced.

Feel your friends greatest challenge is proving he is the offspring of a USC and if he does hold the evidence, all should go smooth.

Do follow the suggestions of finding an immigration attorney, but let me add, an attorney that is part of a large immigration law firm, that makes a big difference on the tune you will get from the USCIS, they are a lot more careful and considerate in making a decision.

Thank you NickD. I have contacted an attorney local to my friend. Its really frustrating to see our neighbors to the south stroll into this country while more deserving people that try to follow the law are punished. :angry:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thank you NickD. I have contacted an attorney local to my friend. Its really frustrating to see our neighbors to the south stroll into this country while more deserving people that try to follow the law are punished. :angry:

Unlike other legal matters where you are required to hire an attorney in your state's bar, with the USCIS, can be any law office in the USA. This gives a much greater choice.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.