Domi22

Need help with I-864

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

I filed I-864 for both parents and my spouse also help with I-864A. I worked part time at home (business) and my spouse worked at a company. We filed Joint 1040 Income Tax with my spouse as the principal income earner and my part was reflected in Schedule C (Business Income). We need help with some questions on I-864 and I-864A. I'm the Petitioner for my parents.

I-864 (Mine):

1) Question 23 (my current individual annual income is), is this income what I earned before any tax or expenses and as reflected in Schedule C?

2) Question 24b (income you are using from any other person who was counted in your household size), is this income what my spouse earned before any tax or deduction (as from Line 7 on 1040, Wages, Salary, Tips, etc)? If not, what this spouse's income would be (Line 22, Total Income or Line 37, Adjusted Gross Income, or what)?

3) Question 25, Total Income per each Tax Year for me or for the combined income of my spouse and mine?

I-864A (my spouse):

1) Question 10 (My current individual annual income is), is this income my spouse's current annual salary or what?

2) Question 11 (Total Income per Tax Year), is this income just my spouse income or our combined income (which Line on Form 1040)?

Please help because I'm confused and has no clue since we filed Joint Income Tax in 2008.

Thank you very much.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Each person is completing their form for only their income. You are both using the same tax return/tax transcript as you filed jointly, but the affidavit is only about 1 person's income.

On the I-864 you are using the income that you would show on line 22 of the form 1040. The same for your spouse on the I-864A. If all of your income is the Schedule C income/loss on then this is your income (amount that you enter on line 12 of the 1040, not the gross income).

Example: You earn 20K, spouse earns 30K, joint tax return shows 50K combined income. On your I-864 you only use the 20K. On the I-864A spouse uses only the 30K (plus or minus any amounts on lines 8-21 excluding your schedule C amount).

If I have made a mistake, someone please correct me.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Timeline

Thanks for your input.

However, your info might still not answer my questions because:

1) my income is only from Business Income/Loss from Schedule C which will be back at Line 12 of Form 1040 (after expense deduction from Schedule C) and my spouse's wages/salary is on Line 7 of Form 1040. Thus our Total Income would be in Line 22 of Form 1040.....

Does it mean my income would be Income from Schedule C (before expense deduction) or from Line 12 of Form 1040?

2) which Line would be my spouse's Income? Line 7 of Form 1040?

Thanks.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Imagine that you are each filling out a separate form 1040. Whatever number would be on line 22 would be your individual income.

For you with all income being recorded on the Schedule C it would be the amount that you would enter on line 12 of the 1040. For example: gross revenue of 10K, expenses/deductions of 5K would equal an income of 5K

For you spouse: salary of 10K (line 7 of 1040) plus interest/investment income income of 1K (lines 8-21 of form 1040) equals an income of 11K.

For your I-864 income would be 5K. For your spouse's I-864A income would be 11K.

You both attach copies of the same jointly file tax return to your respective affidavits of support.

Edited by Anh map

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.