Meliss

bank account in US

28 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Is it possible to open a bank account in the US before moving? I am always changing money etc.. before travelling, would be nice to have my own credit card or check card- my debit does not work in the states. Or any banks have cross border accounts or something? What about when you actually move? Transfer funds or just bring your money accross? I don't know, I guess it could all go in HIS account....thanks

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Royal has a miniscule US presence. Also, get a US dollar account, you can transfer Canadian funds to US funds then write yourself a check down here. An AMEX card is a good thing because you can transfer that when you move.

IR1

April 14, 2004 I-130 NOA1

April 25, 2005 IR1 Received

April 26, 2005 POE Dorval Airport

May 13, 2005 Welcome to America Letters Received

May 21, 2005 PR Card in Mail

May 26, 2005 Applied for SSN at local office

June 06, 2005 SSN Received

June 11, 2005 Driver Licence Issued!

June 20, 2005 Deb gets a Check Card! Just like Donald Trump's!

Citizenship

Jan 30, 2008 N400 Mailed off to the VSC!

Feb 2, 2008 N400 Received at VSC

Feb 6, 2008 Check Cashed!

Feb 13, 2008 NOA1 Received

Feb 15, 2008 Fingerprint letter received. (Feb 26th scheduled)

Feb 18, 2008 Mailed out the old Please Reschedule us for Biometics <sigh>...

Feb 27, 2008 Received the new scheduled biometrics.

Mar 15, 2008 Biometrics Rescheduled.

Sep 18, 2008 Interview Letter Recieved.

Nov 11, 2008 Interview Passed :-).

Nov 14, 2008 Oath Cerimony.

Although I didn't like them, Wells Fargo has now moved to most of the larger cities in Canada. I had an acct with them when i was in the States for 4 months, but closed it because their service charges were not what I liked. But, while I'm still in Canada I have a US dollar acct with Royal bank and just transfer funds just like what someone already posted. It has worked very well for me. When your ready to move, just get a money order made out from that acct in your name and deposit that into a new acct in the states when you get there.

Hope that helps.

K1 Journey:

April 13/06 NOA1 from NSC

June 1/06 - Moved to CSC

August 12/06 APPROVED - NOA2!!

August 28/06 Left NVC. . . Vancouver Bound!

September 27/06 Interview APPROVED, with visa in hand

October 29/06 Moving Date

December 30/06 Married!!

AOS Journey:

January 16/07 Sent out AOS, EAD, and AP docs

January 23/07 NOA1's for AOS, EAD and AP

February 13/07 Biometrics in Portland, OR

April 7/07 EAD and AP Received

April 24/07 Interview Scheduled . . . and APPROVED, stamp and all!

May 7/07 Greencard is in my hands!

ROC Journey:

February 17/09 Sent I-751 to CSC

February 18/09 NOA1

March 14/09 Biometrics appt.

April 22/09 Date of Approval!!

June 25/09 Greencard arrives in the mail!

*Everything I post is just my .02 cents, seek a lawyer for anything beyond that.*

Royal has a miniscule US presence. Also, get a US dollar account, you can transfer Canadian funds to US funds then write yourself a check down here. An AMEX card is a good thing because you can transfer that when you move.

So, am I reading this correctly? Are you saying that you had an AMEX card while in Canada, and now still have the same card but with your US address? If so, might this be a way to circumnavigate the whole issue of establishing credit in the States? Could this be a way to bring your good Canadian credit with you and make it work towards establishing the same good credit in the States?

April 24, 2000 - Met in an online chat room

May 26, 2000 - Met in person

July 12, 2000 - Engaged

March 2001 - My permanent resident status is approved in Canada

April 28, 2001 - Married in my hometown, South Bend, IN

May 2, 2001 - Crossed Canadian border and finalized my landed immigrant status

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

February 2006 - The process of bringing my Canadian family to the States begins, so that my two beautiful children can learn about their whole heritage.

March 8, 2006 - I-130 approved in Calgary

March 21, 2006 - Received approval letter and Packet 3

April 17, 2006 - Sent Packet 3 back to Montreal

April 20, 2006 - Packet 3 received by Montreal

July 6, 2006 - Received Packet 4

September 8, 2006 - INTERVIEW and APPROVAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Timeline

2 issues: bank account and credit

To answer your question, I was able to become a joint account holder with my now husband, 6 months before moving here - did it while visiting. It helped me open my own account shortly after getting here.

Credit has been difficult to establish. I CANNOT get a car loan. IT SUCKS!!! I got a secured credit card last fall - I put up the full amount of my credit card limit. However, that record won't hit my credit records for 8-12 months. Do WHATEVER you can to get credit early. I wish I'd gotten an American Express card in Canada based on my Canadian salary. Of course I'm assuming it could have been transferred over. TD has a new bank in some states, and Royal might work as well.

Good luck ;)

Heading Home!

Naturalization

Feb 28/2011 - sent paperwork

Mar 3/11 - received text & email notification - they have it!

Mar 15/11 - text, email, and notice sent - biometrics booked

April 12/11 - biometrics done - I start studying

May - get the letter

June 27 - Interview and oath ceremony - same day

Lifting Conditions

Feb 5/08 - Sent paperwork by USPS - priority

Feb 14/08 - NOA issued

Feb 28/08 - Biometrics letter received for The Bronx Office - have to reschedule

Mar 22/08 - Biometrics rescheduled - LOVE the Saturday appointment!

Feb ?/09 - done!

I'M HIGHLY OPINIONATED WHEN I WANT TO BE, BUT I NEVER SAID I WAS RIGHT

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
http://www.customhouse.com/ I kept 1 Canadian acct open and use custom house to transfer $$ from it to my USA bank acct. Give better rates than the USA bank. Takes a bit to set up and the transaction takes 3-4 business days to complete. Very simple to use.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

I joined my husband's bank accts. when I got here. Opened my own accts. when I got my SSN number and had to get a secured credit card to start my credit. At first I wired money over but paid a horrendous fee so now I just write a canadian cheque and wait for it to clear. I maintain my Canadian bank accts. and one Canadian credit card. Since I travel back so often, it's pretty handy.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

MBNA will issue you a Visa card in the States based on your Canadian credit history. But you have to persevere on the phone to talk to a supervisor who knows what to do. AmEx may also be able to use their global capacity to get you a card in the States.

It took me a long time and much frustration to learn this. I've advised my husband in Toronto to get an MBNA Visa in Canada, so when it's time to move to the States, it will be easier for him to get a new MBNA card here.

By the way, TD has made huge inroads in the States and now has branches in New Jersey. I'm not sure if it would be easy for a bank client in Canada to open an account here once they moved. In any case, a SSN is required. Until you get one, you can be a joint user on your American spouse's bank account.

I-130 sent Mar 30, 06

approved Aug 15, 06

I-129f sent April 24, 06

approved July 27, 06

Montreal interview Jan 18, 07

POE Toronto Jan 28, 07

EAD sent Jan. 30, 07

transferred to Vermont Feb 12

biometrics Feb 22

approved March 13

card returned undeliverable! March 27

called after 6 weeks to have EAD re-sent

AOS sent Jan. 30, 07

biometrics Feb 22

RFE for complete medical (!) Feb 23

Called Senator from NJ - never returned call

Infopass March 19 (no help)

Replied to RFE with duplicate medical March 19

Sent additional evidence (I-693A) March 26

NBC received supplement March 30

touched April 4

Interview July 16

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I keep telling Dave to come down to Bellingham and open an account with Washington Mutual. But he wants to wait until we get to California. He has ScotiaBank and I already have a Washington Mutual Acct

Proud AF Alumna

US Chick married to a CDN Dude!

Got married in Las Vegas 12/11/01

Filled out I-130 2/15/02

Filled out I-129F 2/22/02

I-130 was approved 10/22/02

Was out of work for 6 months :( Immigration process was at a stand still thanks to this

Got his EAD and SSN in February 2003

Job market sucked, he couldn't get a job in the US so no AOS

9/8/04 :( DH moved back to Canada K-3 expired

End of 2004, now have job and salary to satisfy affadavit of support (YAY!)

in the wee hours of 6/1 Fire was lit under our butts! (Don't ask!) :(

Visa bill mailed on 6/3

Visa bill received on 6/7

I-864 stuff was sent via overnight mail on 6/14!

Information packet and docs generated 6/20/05

I rec'd the DS-230 packet on 7/26

Sent ds-230 via express mail 8/13

9/15/05 CASE COMPLETED!!!!!!!

10/6/05 Case sent to consulate

10/27/05 Medical Exam ...was marked incomplete

11/10/05 New Medical Exam letter issued! YAY!

11/15/05 Interview--APPROVED BABY!

4/30/06 Activated IR-1 Visa at the Pacific Hwy Crossing in Blaine, WA

5/12/06 Dave Received the Welcome to the US letter...

5/31 Green Card arrived in the mail! Also got 2 more welcome letters!

Dave's company has transferred him 7/6!

Started his position in Bay Area, CA on 8/14!

mcsurvivor.gif

Timeline

Good to know, thanks!

MBNA will issue you a Visa card in the States based on your Canadian credit history. But you have to persevere on the phone to talk to a supervisor who knows what to do. AmEx may also be able to use their global capacity to get you a card in the States.

Heading Home!

Naturalization

Feb 28/2011 - sent paperwork

Mar 3/11 - received text & email notification - they have it!

Mar 15/11 - text, email, and notice sent - biometrics booked

April 12/11 - biometrics done - I start studying

May - get the letter

June 27 - Interview and oath ceremony - same day

Lifting Conditions

Feb 5/08 - Sent paperwork by USPS - priority

Feb 14/08 - NOA issued

Feb 28/08 - Biometrics letter received for The Bronx Office - have to reschedule

Mar 22/08 - Biometrics rescheduled - LOVE the Saturday appointment!

Feb ?/09 - done!

I'M HIGHLY OPINIONATED WHEN I WANT TO BE, BUT I NEVER SAID I WAS RIGHT

It took me a long time and much frustration to learn this. I've advised my husband in Toronto to get an MBNA Visa in Canada, so when it's time to move to the States, it will be easier for him to get a new MBNA card here.

By the way, TD has made huge inroads in the States and now has branches in New Jersey. I'm not sure if it would be easy for a bank client in Canada to open an account here once they moved. In any case, a SSN is required. Until you get one, you can be a joint user on your American spouse's bank account.

Great info - thanks so much!

April 24, 2000 - Met in an online chat room

May 26, 2000 - Met in person

July 12, 2000 - Engaged

March 2001 - My permanent resident status is approved in Canada

April 28, 2001 - Married in my hometown, South Bend, IN

May 2, 2001 - Crossed Canadian border and finalized my landed immigrant status

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

February 2006 - The process of bringing my Canadian family to the States begins, so that my two beautiful children can learn about their whole heritage.

March 8, 2006 - I-130 approved in Calgary

March 21, 2006 - Received approval letter and Packet 3

April 17, 2006 - Sent Packet 3 back to Montreal

April 20, 2006 - Packet 3 received by Montreal

July 6, 2006 - Received Packet 4

September 8, 2006 - INTERVIEW and APPROVAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I recently opened a joint account wtih my husband (who is not here yet) at US Bank. They needed my social security number and he had to fill out a form that says that he does not have a social security number yet. But we were able to open up a joint checking and a savings account. He lives in Cairo and we have yet found a place that will accept checks there. With the checking account comes a debit card - so that's nice when he needs cash and ATM's are all over in Egypt.

05.02.2008 - Sent AOS & EAD package to Chicago.

05.04.2008 - Package recieved in Chicago.

05.09.2008 – Received NOA's.

06.04.2008 - Biometrics appt.

07.25.08 - Work Permission Received in Mail

07.28.08 - Applied for Social Security Number

08.04.08 - Received Social Security Number in Mail

09.29.08 - Started job

01.29.09 - AOS Interview

Timeline

opened 2 accounts at 5th/third in fl a year ago.

tried to get a loan while visting , no credit record was found.

have copies of my equifax and transunion.

of course if you are a bad risk they would know instanly

but having 5 star rating cuts no ice it seems.

will transfer my amex soon, probaly this week.

my interview is late july , will be poe early august.

but only for a week or 2 ,then off to europa,

will hitch up the trailer and head south on aug 30th.

so had no probs with fifth/third they are really helpfull

will have my ssn by late august and will set up a car loan,

and pay it off within weeks, that should set the credit ball rolling

but did meet a mortgage rep in naples fl who told me

that he gets loans for canucks with their own credit bureaus.

red :devil:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I got a Lane Bryant credit card when visiting one time...they are one of the US stores who offer credit cards to Canadians who still reside in Canada. It has a low line of credit (less than $200), but that's how we started establishing my credit here in the US. When I got here I charged a small amount, made minimum payments to pay it off and did that a few times. There may be other stores that do similar.

Hubby added me to his bank account when I got here last July, and to his credit cards earlier this year.

Because I had the start of credit with Lane Bryant, I could also use the Bill Me Later feature on some websites and that established me further in the credit system here.

And...I just got an American Express through Costco...as the primary. That was a nice feeling. :)

On Flames9's advice I also looked into the Custom House money transfer. It's absolutely fantastic for payments in Canada. I too left a bank account open there.

Electricity is really just organized lightning.

Filed: Timeline

Hi there,

You can also apply for Nordstrom credit card while visiting USA from Canada, or do it online from Canada.

They use Canadian credit history to issue credit cards to Canadians, all cards are in $US. When you move all you have to do is to change your address and SIN.

Good Luck,

Vox

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.