tbaygrrl

Temporary health insurance until marriage occurs in the States

5 posts in this topic

I was wondering what type of temporary health insurance people have purchased for their move to the states, prior to obtaining GC.

I will be crossing on a K-1 visa, and our wedding is 2.5 weeks later, at which time I will be covered under his policy via the military. But which companies and plans have people here purchased, as I will be 6 months pregnant when I cross and don't want to take the chance at having no coverage for emergency purposes (ie. car accident, brick falling out of the sky, etc...). Any and all suggestions are more than welcomed

Thanks

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Tbaygrrl,

Congratulations on your pregnancy and your upcoming marriage! May both of these be successful for you and your family!

By the way, when is your baby due (lol..I'm due in a few weeks..yikes)? Feel free too, to PM about pregnancy related issues that you may have as well.

Anyways, in answer to your question, from my experience, I did not have any health coverage before I got my green card. I just paid "out of pocket"...ouch....for my medical care during those few months. Luckily, at that time I didn't have too many problems health-wise, and I got all my bills paid shortly afterwards (lol..with help from my husband though). As well, I'm glad that I have medical coverage now, though minimal (for emergency and pregnancy mostly, but covers some other things too). Oh well, at least it covers the basics...(PM me if you want more details...)....

I understand though, that being pregnant and being an in emergency situation, without proper healthcare can be a disaster! So yes, you should definitely find some sort of medical insurance to cover you, in case such should happen. And if you can, try to be on your husband's military medical policy as long as you can, as for sure that you'll be covered medically that way too (lol..I've heard that the military has good benefits...you're lucky to have such if you can get it).

One program I would suggest that you get is WIC (women infants children), if your family is income eligible and other requirements eligible for such. This is a national state-wide program for pregnant and nursing women, and for children up to 5 years old, that provides extra food and nutrition counseling for such individuals. This program is not a means-tested benefit (translation: it will not affect your immigration status and/or case), and is offered to such a population, regardless of one's immigration status.

By the way, if you happen to go into labour, under the law, a hospital cannot refuse to treat you and your baby for medical care.

So yes, do go to a hospital right away if you are in labour and/or any other emergency situation! Worry about the bill later, get the medical care as soon as possible, before it's too late!

Hope this helps. Good luck with the rest of your immigration journey too.

Ant

I was wondering what type of temporary health insurance people have purchased for their move to the states, prior to obtaining GC.

I will be crossing on a K-1 visa, and our wedding is 2.5 weeks later, at which time I will be covered under his policy via the military. But which companies and plans have people here purchased, as I will be 6 months pregnant when I cross and don't want to take the chance at having no coverage for emergency purposes (ie. car accident, brick falling out of the sky, etc...). Any and all suggestions are more than welcomed

Thanks

Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Hi,

thanks for the replies. AntandD, I`m due first week in December, so I am at the half way mark right now, COngrats for you too. I wish you a smooth and fast labour. `You will have to post to let us know how everything goes and how your little one is doing.

I looked at International Medical Group and will prolly use them until out wedding day for temporary coverage, as I will be covered by my fiance`s insurace through the military as soon as I sign the marriage certificate.

I am always nervous though of buying insurance, as when I was working in the middle east my arm was severly injured (2.5 years ago) and I had to fight for any type in reimbursment for medical treatment and it is still actually not setteled. I know of many other contractors who have had the same issue. So heres to hoping IMG is good, and that all goes smooth and the insurance is never used.

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Tbaygrrl,

You're welcome for the reply. Glad to be able to somewhat help here. Again, congratulations on your pregnancy and soon-to-be baby in December too! That's great that you're due in December and that you're past the halfway mark now! Wishing you all the best for the rest of your pregnancy as well.

Yes, I'll keep you and everyone else here on VJ updated about the baby. (lol...that is if you're all interested in reading about such). Lol..right now I'm just waiting for labour to happen....2+ more weeks to go...yikes...Hope all goes well here too...

Glad too, that you got some sort of insurance before your wedding, so you don't have to worry about being covered beforehand. And yes, as soon as you get married, by all means, make sure you are covered through your spouse's medical insurance policy, so that you and your baby will be adequately covered afterwards.

Sorry to hear about your arm injury in the middle east and it's good that after fighting for such, you eventually got medical coverage for your medical expenses before. Hope that you don't encounter any future medical problems because of this prior medical condition and hope you don't have to use your insurance more than you need to. It doesn't seem fair that they should discriminate because of this either...

Good luck with your medical insurance and immigration journey too.

Ant

Hi,

thanks for the replies. AntandD, I`m due first week in December, so I am at the half way mark right now, COngrats for you too. I wish you a smooth and fast labour. `You will have to post to let us know how everything goes and how your little one is doing.

I looked at International Medical Group and will prolly use them until out wedding day for temporary coverage, as I will be covered by my fiance`s insurace through the military as soon as I sign the marriage certificate.

I am always nervous though of buying insurance, as when I was working in the middle east my arm was severly injured (2.5 years ago) and I had to fight for any type in reimbursment for medical treatment and it is still actually not setteled. I know of many other contractors who have had the same issue. So heres to hoping IMG is good, and that all goes smooth and the insurance is never used.

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.