UmmSqueakster

Ramadan 2009

321 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline
As you all probably know I am new this will be my first year, and am very 'wet behind the ears', so can you tell me what is Ramadan food? I think I got this part, you eat before the sunrise and first prayer, then break your fast at sundown. (layman terms, sorry) But do I understand there is a certain food I should break my fast with? And what is Eid?

Masha Allah, does that mean you are a muslimah now? :)

There is no special food to break your fast with but it's sunnah to break it with dates and some milk then you can eat whatever you want.

Eid is right after ramadan is done it lasts 3 days it's the time where you celebrate breaking your fast after a long time of fasting.

I have been 'looking into' converting/reverting for some time now. I have now decided to convert, I am actually going to meet with a woman tomorrow at a local Mosque, I am soooo excited! I have considered myself Muslim in my heart for a while, but for some reason trying to learn everything first. But thanks to Rahma's blog I read something that encouraged me to 'just do it'. LOL

Thanks for the advise.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I already started gathering some receipes to make during Ramadan for hubby and me.

I am going to make Harira this weekend and some kind of Lentil/Beef Moroccan Stew.

I want to give it a test run so I know I can do it properly. Plus I haven't cooked anything Moroccan for us in a while.

Jackie thanks for the idea of the cheese wedges, yes they are good and DATES and OLIVES

It is not my core reason to "lose weight" due to fasting during Ramadan however, as I said last year, I hope it will help to jump start it!

I love those cheese wedges. I have not been able to find comparable olives to the ones we get in Maroc but

I love olives just the same.

I did find the coveted ARGAN oil..which was 40.00 and I got it on sale for 20.00 (thank GOD)

Just wondering if I can use that the same as olive oil or only for moroccan cooking.

what do you think?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline
It is not my core reason to "lose weight" due to fasting during Ramadan however, as I said last year, I hope it will help to jump start it!

I love those cheese wedges. I have not been able to find comparable olives to the ones we get in Maroc but

I love olives just the same.

I did find the coveted ARGAN oil..which was 40.00 and I got it on sale for 20.00 (thank GOD)

Just wondering if I can use that the same as olive oil or only for moroccan cooking.

what do you think?

Where did u get that argan oil girl?????

07/21/11 filed AOS off tourist visa

07/28/11 USCIS cashed check

07/30/11 Recieved NOA1 and Biometrics letter

08/24/2011 Biometrics

08/25/2011 RFE sent to us for some info we've already sent in

08/30/2011 sent in the rest of info USCIS asked for

09/13/2011 went to congressman's office to sign papers for expedite of work permit, due to financial hardship

09/15/2011 Work permit expedite approved!! He can finally find a job!

09/24/2011 work permit arrives

09/26/2011 Apply for social security number!

09/30/2011 Letter is sent for interview

11/07/2011 INTERVIEW!!!

Its 2012 and still no approval! Still waiting

01/27/2012 Letter sent stating that file was sent on for more review :(

9iad5hjppr.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
As you all probably know I am new this will be my first year, and am very 'wet behind the ears', so can you tell me what is Ramadan food? I think I got this part, you eat before the sunrise and first prayer, then break your fast at sundown. (layman terms, sorry) But do I understand there is a certain food I should break my fast with? And what is Eid?

There is no special food to break your fast with but it's sunnah to break it with dates and some milk then you can eat whatever you want.

Eid is right after ramadan is done it lasts 3 days it's the time where you celebrate breaking your fast after a long time of fasting.

I have been 'looking into' converting/reverting for some time now. I have now decided to convert, I am actually going to meet with a woman tomorrow at a local Mosque, I am soooo excited! I have considered myself Muslim in my heart for a while, but for some reason trying to learn everything first. But thanks to Rahma's blog I read something that encouraged me to 'just do it'. LOL

Thanks for the advise.

Alhamdulilah :luv:

Glossary of Islamic Terms and Concepts

Common phrases and sayings

New Muslim Guide - search for "islamic terms" for a decent glossary

You are correct. We eat suhoor, the meal before the fast, before the beginning of the fajr. Fajr is the first of the five fard (required) daily prayers (if you're thinking western style days. Using the islamic calculation, the days begin at sunset). And we have iftar, the meal to break our fast, at the beginning of maghrib, the 4th prayer (or 1st, if you're going by the islamic calendar).

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
I already started gathering some receipes to make during Ramadan for hubby and me.

I am going to make Harira this weekend and some kind of Lentil/Beef Moroccan Stew.

Oooo, post your recipe! I've decided to attempt harira this year and need a few recipes to get a grasp of it.

A blogger posted about her suhoor strategy recently and it has a very tasty and promising smoothie recipe in it. Sounds like jamba juice to me, which is 2 :thumbs: in my book.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
I drive about 20 minutes east to Tinley Park area.

Is that on Harlem ave? Medo and i have gone there and shoped at the little stores. There is also a store called Midina in Napperville but I have never found the grape leaves. My husband just wrinkled up his nose at the jared grape leaves. But he will just have to be fine with them. Geeze! dose he think he is still in Egypt? heheheh

Untitled.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Thanks for the advise.

Wonderful news Skerber, welcome sister!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Dose anyone know where i can find grape leaves fresh or in the jar?

We have them right in the normal grocery stores. In one store it is in the cheese section. I bet if you just go and ask your regular store has them but you've just never noticed them before. I've never worked with anything but the jarred leaves. I don't know if I'd even like fresh leaves since the taste of the brine adds to the mashi.

I'm so totally not prepared yet for Ramadan cooking wise. I need to get motivated and get my recipes together and plan my meals out ahead of time. I usually have at least two to three soups that I make during the week and then have casseroles all set for the main course. Mornings are easy because he cooks the eggs/fuul, etc. It's so strange because all of the other times of the year he takes longer than i do to wake up but during Ramadan he practically jumps out of bed at 4am to cook! lol

I really hope he can save up the money to go to Egypt for at least the last week this year. It's so not festive here at all and there is really no community to break fast with. There's the mosque that we sometimes go to but everyone there is wicked cliquey.

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.