GREEN/TRAN

anyone ever been to tra vinh?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

HELLO EVERYONE

IM GOING TO TRA VINH SOON AS MY DIVORCE IS FINAL.M HAS ANYONE EVER BEEN THERE AND IS THERE ANY CHANCE OF FINDING ANY AMERICAN FOOD THERE? I DOUBT IT BUT I THOUGHT I WOULD ASK. THANKS

HELLO EVERYONE

IM GOING TO TRA VINH SOON AS MY DIVORCE IS FINAL.M HAS ANYONE EVER BEEN THERE AND IS THERE ANY CHANCE OF FINDING ANY AMERICAN FOOD THERE? I DOUBT IT BUT I THOUGHT I WOULD ASK. THANKS

I really doubt it. I spend some time in Vung Tau (north of there) recently. The only American food I saw were a few Kentucky Fried Chicken franchises and Vung Tau appears to be quite a bit larger than Tra Vinh. There was one Italian restaurant there as well. I really didn't look too hard though because I loved the VN food :)

Edited by Kevinandsomeone

-USCIS-

COMPLETED - March 9th, 2010

-NVC-

CASE COMPLETE - April 2nd, 2010

-INTERVIEW-

APPROVED - May 18th, 2010

POE - Detroit, June 11th, 2010

GREEN CARD - July 21st, 2010

SS CARD - August 13th, 2010

-ROC-

I-751 Sent March 23rd, 2012

NOA1 March 26th, 2012

Biometrics Appt. April 27th, 2012

Bio done early - April 18th, 2012

ROC Approved - September 12, 2012

10 Year GC - September 17, 2012

Filed: Timeline

I just wonder how many cases here on VJ end up like Green/Tran. Divorce in less than 7 years. Just sad. I personally know a person (female) from work. Married in late 2004. As soon as she received her 10-year GC, she immediately filed for divorce, claiming the husband cheated on her and she's had enough of her in-laws.

And now, a few years later moving forward, she's dating a Hispanic co-worker.

For those that understand Vnese, there's a saying "Cuu vat, vat tra on. Cuu Nhan, nhan tra oan."........."Helping an animal, it will appreciate you. Helping a human, s/he will pay you with hatred/retaliation."

Just remember, life over there in VN is NOT real! Your money will be worth a LOT less once you get back over here. Back to reality, cowboy!

Timeline
I just wonder how many cases here on VJ end up like Green/Tran. Divorce in less than 7 years. Just sad. I personally know a person (female) from work. Married in late 2004. As soon as she received her 10-year GC, she immediately filed for divorce, claiming the husband cheated on her and she's had enough of her in-laws.

For those that understand Vnese, there's a saying "Cuu vat, vat tra on. Cuu Nhan, nhan tra oan."........."Helping an animal, it will appreciate you. Helping a human, s/he will pay you with hatred/retaliation."

Your friend filing for divorce as soon as she got her 10-year GC is a little suspicious, but I wouldn't personally jump to the conclusion that it was a fraudulent relationship from the beginning. Their relationship might have fallen apart long before that, and she was just sticking it out waiting for the GC.

I think it's probably a safe assumption that there are a lot more failed marriages where an immigrant spouse is involved than there are when both spouses are US citizens, but the divorce rate is pretty high in either case. I'm sure intentional fraud is responsible for some of those divorces. Cultural differences are responsible for others. People just plainly being incompatible is responsible for others.

You made a really good point with this statement, though:

"Helping a human, s/he will pay you with hatred/retaliation."

If a US citizen goes into a marriage with the attitude that they are helping their spouse, then the marriage is doomed to fail. People need to feel needed in a relationship, and not like they are indebted to their spouse. This is magnified 100x if the US citizen is constantly reminding his spouse about what a grand thing he/she did by rescuing their spouse from the hell-hole they thought their spouse was previously living in.

To a certain degree, I think spouses from impoverished parts of the world might come with a certain amount of pre-conditioned feeling of indebtedness. I think the US citizen spouse needs to work hard to get this feeling out of them, reminding the immigrant spouse often how much they do to contribute to the relationship, and how they complete their lives.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

Your friend filing for divorce as soon as she got her 10-year GC is a little suspicious, but I wouldn't personally jump to the conclusion that it was a fraudulent relationship from the beginning. Their relationship might have fallen apart long before that, and she was just sticking it out waiting for the GC.

I think it's probably a safe assumption that there are a lot more failed marriages where an immigrant spouse is involved than there are when both spouses are US citizens, but the divorce rate is pretty high in either case. I'm sure intentional fraud is responsible for some of those divorces. Cultural differences are responsible for others. People just plainly being incompatible is responsible for others.

If a US citizen goes into a marriage with the attitude that they are helping their spouse, then the marriage is doomed to fail. People need to feel needed in a relationship, and not like they are indebted to their spouse. This is magnified 100x if the US citizen is constantly reminding his spouse about what a grand thing he/she did by rescuing their spouse from the hell-hole they thought their spouse was previously living in.

To a certain degree, I think spouses from impoverished parts of the world might come with a certain amount of pre-conditioned feeling of indebtedness. I think the US citizen spouse needs to work hard to get this feeling out of them, reminding the immigrant spouse often how much they do to contribute to the relationship, and how they complete their lives.

I just know my wife changed alot after she started working.I saw her more on yahoo than i did after she came here. I think her plans changed alot after she came over. Anyway the good news is i have been talking to very nice girl in Tra Vinh and shes been very good company to me all through this.Her family is great. her dads chatted to me and emailed me and my mom.Her moms knitting me a shirt. I had planned to be in vietnam already but her dad had some requirments i must meet first.

Filed: Timeline

Thank you for your reply. I'm not as good as you to make the thoughts across. Not that many people on here "care" enough to spend time typing out their thoughts and feelings. They only come here "whenever" there's a problem with their case. Some don't even bother to say thanks afterward. Your wife is lucky to have someone like you.

I wanna add another example, ironically, I also experience at the the place I'm working (same place as the other lady that dates a Hispanic co-coworker). This lady married her sweetheart around 2001 or 2002. Since their marriage license was issued in Vietnam for longer than 4 years, when the hubby came over here, he got the 10-year GC right away. At first, he acted like a very nice guy, at least well enough to fool the lady for the first 3 years. And then things went downhill after he got his citizenship.

On the night he got that (the citizenship certificate), he told his wife "Now that I'm a US citizen, you can't tell me what to do like before anymore. Don't push me, because when it's come to push and shove, I'll see you in divorce court." He's been cheating on her when he was here in the States for only 6 months.

He also smoked like a chimney. Fast forward a few years later, 2009. In March of this year, the lady got hospitalized. Last week, she died of lung cancer. Guess who's the perpetrator?

My point? Not to generalize, but I wish all those who get involved with someone from VN the best of luck. Their point of view about marriage is very much different from their parents' generation. They no longer live by the saying that their older folks used to to live by "Song vi tinh va nghia", "Living together for the love and debtness/obligations".

Just remember, life over there in VN is NOT real! Your money will be worth a LOT less once you get back over here. Back to reality, cowboy!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.