Oomer

When to apply for naturalization ?????

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I received my Green card (10 yr card ) few days ago but it has date of issue of June 2008 ( last year). It is marriage based adjustment of status ( I-485 )) . How early i can aply for citizenship??

Do i need to go to socail security department to change my SS card???

Lokking forward

ans

--Jan 13,2006 Entered USA as Visitor (B2) ( I-94 is valid till end of June,2006)

--March 28,2006 Married in Naperville ,Illinois to United States Citizen

--April 5, 2006 Medical examination (I 693)+ Vaccination supplement form completed (chicago)

--April, 18,2006 AOS Package(I 130,I 485, I765)+supporting documents sent (chicago Lock Box)(DAY 1)

--May 1, 2006 BIOMETRIC APPOINTMENTS ( I 765 , I 485) received by mail for May 6, 2006

--May 6, 2006 BIOMETRICS TAKEN BY USCIS in Naperville (Day 19)

--July 21,2006 Initial Interview but waiting for FBI NAME CLEARANCE (Day 92)

--April 25, 2009 Infopass appointment to inquire my case : Result case was approved in June of 2008 but no body bothered to update my file (Day almost 610 )

--June 29 ,2009 10 year green card with date of Perm resident June 2008 received (Day almost 680 since interview )

--July 2011 Citizenship Interview :

-- Nov 2011 Oath Ceremony -US Citizen

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Ans,

Wow, I can't believe that you had to wait 3 years for your green card! Why the long delay, I wonder?... :o

Either way, glad that you got your 10yr green card recently. Lol...at least that is some kind of compensation from the USCIS for having you wait that long, since by waiting that long you got your 10yr card instead of a 2yr one and don't have to go through the I-751 removal of conditions stage now.

As for applying for US Citizenship, I would probably go by your "residence since" date, which is "June 2008", when you officially became a Permanent Resident and is on your 10yr Green Card. From that date, add 3 years (if you are applying based on marriage) minus 90 days, and that's when you can apply for US Citizenship (assuming that you have met the residency, marriage, and other citizenship application requirements too). If in doubt though, as the USCIS further about this.

As for going to social security, if you had a social security card before, then yes, do update them of your new current permanent residency status, especially so if your previous card was a restricted SSN card.

And if you didn't have a social security card before, yes, you definitely have to apply for one of those, as it very commonly used here in the USA and you certainly do need one of those!

As for after US Citizenship, you have to update social security again, about your new US Citizenship status, but your number and card stay the same with you for the rest of your life.

Hope this helps. Good luck on the rest of your immigration journey too.

Ant

I received my Green card (10 yr card ) few days ago but it has date of issue of June 2008 ( last year). It is marriage based adjustment of status ( I-485 )) . How early i can aply for citizenship??

Lokking forward

ans

Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Timeline

Thanks, the information was very helpful.

FYI!!The reason I got my card after such a long wait was FBI name check and clearnace. 2 months ago i made an infopass appointment to inquire about my case and they told me your case was approved in June of 2008 but no body bothered to inform you and we would send you a new card. Now my new card is 10 year one with date of permanant residence for June of 2008.

By the way I have been married to Us citizen for almost three and half years now.

Ans

Hi Ans,

Wow, I can't believe that you had to wait 3 years for your green card! Why the long delay, I wonder?... :o

Either way, glad that you got your 10yr green card recently. Lol...at least that is some kind of compensation from the USCIS for having you wait that long, since by waiting that long you got your 10yr card instead of a 2yr one and don't have to go through the I-751 removal of conditions stage now.

As for applying for US Citizenship, I would probably go by your "residence since" date, which is "June 2008", when you officially became a Permanent Resident and is on your 10yr Green Card. From that date, add 3 years (if you are applying based on marriage) minus 90 days, and that's when you can apply for US Citizenship (assuming that you have met the residency, marriage, and other citizenship application requirements too). If in doubt though, as the USCIS further about this.

As for going to social security, if you had a social security card before, then yes, do update them of your new current permanent residency status, especially so if your previous card was a restricted SSN card.

And if you didn't have a social security card before, yes, you definitely have to apply for one of those, as it very commonly used here in the USA and you certainly do need one of those!

As for after US Citizenship, you have to update social security again, about your new US Citizenship status, but your number and card stay the same with you for the rest of your life.

Hope this helps. Good luck on the rest of your immigration journey too.

Ant

Lokking forward

ans

--Jan 13,2006 Entered USA as Visitor (B2) ( I-94 is valid till end of June,2006)

--April 5, 2006 Medical examination (I 693)+ Vaccination supplement form completed (chicago)

--April, 18,2006 AOS Package(I 130,I 485, I765)+supporting documents sent (chicago Lock Box)(DAY 1)

--May 1, 2006 BIOMETRIC APPOINTMENTS ( I 765 , I 485) received by mail for May 6, 2006

--April 25, 2009 Infopass appointment to inquire my case : Result case was approved in June of 2008 but no body bothered to update my file (Day almost 610 )

--June 29 ,2009 10 year green card with date of Perm resident June 2008 received (Day almost 680 since interview )

Hi Ans,

You're welcome. Glad to be able to help you here... :thumbs:

Again, congrats on getting your US 10yr Green Card recently too. Well deserved, after such a long wait, indeed!

What a co-incidence too, that we both came here to the USA on B-2 Visitor's Visas and got married in 2006!

By the way, I posted this in another message thread, but I thought it would be helpful to you too...

According to the USCIS, one has to meet all of the following conditions in order to become a US Citizen (based on marriage):

-Been a permanent resident for 3 years (which for your case would be June 2011)

-Been married to the same USC for 3 years (you've already met that requirement)

-Been residing physically in the USA for 3 years (which for your case would be the earliest June 2011, assuming that you don't have any long absences of residency outside of the USA for a very long period of time)

In your case:

-You can file for US Citizenship, 90 days before 3 years after the "residence since" date on the card. (sometime in March to June 2011 at the earliest, and any time after that...)

For example, in my situation:

I was married in April 2006...and yes, we have been married for 3 years+...but I have not met the other conditions for citizenship

I have been a permanent resident since November 2006.....and it is then that I reach permanent residency for 3 years....

I have not had any absenses of residency out of the USA since...so that doesn't matter against me in my case....

Therefore, the earliest I can apply for US Citizenship is August 2009, 90 days before the 3 years after the "residence since" date on my green cards, which is when I meet all of the requirements of citizenship based on marriage.

Hope this helps too. Good luck on the rest of your immigration journey as well.

Ant

Thanks, the information was very helpful.

FYI!!The reason I got my card after such a long wait was FBI name check and clearnace. 2 months ago i made an infopass appointment to inquire about my case and they told me your case was approved in June of 2008 but no body bothered to inform you and we would send you a new card. Now my new card is 10 year one with date of permanant residence for June of 2008.

By the way I have been married to Us citizen for almost three and half years now.

Ans

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
By the way, I posted this in another message thread, but I thought it would be helpful to you too...

According to the USCIS, one has to meet all of the following conditions in order to become a US Citizen (based on marriage):

-Been a permanent resident for 3 years (which for your case would be June 2011)

-Been married to the same USC for 3 years (you've already met that requirement)

-Been residing physically in the USA for 3 years (which for your case would be the earliest June 2011, assuming that you don't have any long absences of residency outside of the USA for a very long period of time)

Only if she is still married to the same person in 2011.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00048f3d6a1RCRD

Spouses of U.S. Citizens

Generally, certain lawful permanent residents married to a U.S. citizen may file for naturalization after residing continuously in the United States for three years if immediately preceding the filing of the application:

the applicant has been married to and living in a valid marital union with the same U.S. citizen spouse for all three years;the U.S. spouse has been a citizen for all three years and meets all physical presence and residence requirements; and

the applicant meets all other naturalization requirements.

Oops....Yes, Stella08 is right here, in saying that you still have to be with your same spouse in 2011, when you apply for US Citizenship:

Only if she is still married to the same person in 2011.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00048f3d6a1RCRD

Spouses of U.S. Citizens

Generally, certain lawful permanent residents married to a U.S. citizen may file for naturalization after residing continuously in the United States for three years if immediately preceding the filing of the application:

the applicant has been married to and living in a valid marital union with the same U.S. citizen spouse for all three years;the U.S. spouse has been a citizen for all three years and meets all physical presence and residence requirements; and

the applicant meets all other naturalization requirements.

Ans, I don't think that you'll have any problems meeting that "same USC marriage requirement" though.....;)....2 years more years, until June 2011 for you for US Citizenship based on marriage.....After all, you made it through 3+ years of marriage already, so a few more years is nothing at all, considering you are and will be spending the rest of your life with the same spouse that you love so much..... (L)

If not, there's always the 5 year general non-marriage rule to apply for US Citizenship.....but I honestly don't think you will come to face that "worse case situation" either.....

Ant

Edited by AntandD

Timeline

I wish i could have applied for naturalization earlier . But just because of FBI name check issue now i am 2 year behind the normal schedule. Most of applicants who applied in 2006 for adjustment of status and got Conditional Resident card , this year they can apply for naturalization .

Anyhow I am happy that at least they sent me 10 year card and i do not have to apply for removal of condition .

Ans

Hi Ans,

Don't worry, you'll get your US Citizenship eventually....:) In the meantime, enjoy your new US 10yr Green Card and Permanent Residency status for awhile (the next 2-3 years) until you apply for US Citizenship.

Oh yeah, you're lucky to get the 10yr card instead....(and that in itself is worth the compensation for having to wait so long!)

Wish I could have done the same, as it would have saved me $545+ and 10+ months of USCIS hell going through the Removal of Conditions stage recently, especially for a card that I'll hardly ever/never really get to use (only for about 6 months or so on a 10yr card..grr...), as I would have to give that up for US Citizenship anyways!..

Oh well, I can't complain about that now since I now have my 10yr green card (errr...6 month card...) and eventually citizenship...

By the way, I'm curious as to how you survived so long in the USA without legal status while your AOS green card case was processing?...Did you have any problems with not have a green card, SSN card, or other US identifications and documents?

Good luck with the rest of your immigration journey too.

Ant

I wish i could have applied for naturalization earlier . But just because of FBI name check issue now i am 2 year behind the normal schedule. Most of applicants who applied in 2006 for adjustment of status and got Conditional Resident card , this year they can apply for naturalization .

Anyhow I am happy that at least they sent me 10 year card and i do not have to apply for removal of condition .

Ans

Edited by AntandD

Timeline

As already mentioned I married to US citizen in 2006. I got my EAD and SSN afterwards and eventually a job .

Hi Ans,

Don't worry, you'll get your US Citizenship eventually....:) In the meantime, enjoy your new US 10yr Green Card and Permanent Residency status for awhile (the next 2-3 years) until you apply for US Citizenship.

Oh yeah, you're lucky to get the 10yr card instead....(and that in itself is worth the compensation for having to wait so long!)

Wish I could have done the same, as it would have saved me $545+ and 10+ months of USCIS hell going through the Removal of Conditions stage recently, especially for a card that I'll hardly ever/never really get to use (only for about 6 months or so on a 10yr card..grr...), as I would have to give that up for US Citizenship anyways!..

Oh well, I can't complain about that now since I now have my 10yr green card (errr...6 month card...) and eventually citizenship...

By the way, I'm curious as to how you survived so long in the USA without legal status while your AOS green card case was processing?...Did you have any problems with not have a green card, SSN card, or other US identifications and documents?

Good luck with the rest of your immigration journey too.

Ant

Ans

Hi Ans,

Ahh....now it makes sense to me.....Thanks for the clarification.... :thumbs:

As already mentioned I married to US citizen in 2006. I got my EAD and SSN afterwards and eventually a job .

Of course....getting an EAD=getting an SSN=getting a job=getting other US identification....

I went a through different approach (with no EAD, and chose to wait for my Green Card instead and getting other US identification afterwards, be it that it was aa big risk there in hoping that there wasn't a delay while waiting, which worked out well for me there despite the risk)..

Hence it didn't make sense to me at first...sorry about that...now I understand about the EAD and SSN in your case...:)

Good call for you in your case to get an EAD first, Ans! Sure payed off there, with all the delays in your green card process!

Ant

Edited by AntandD

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.