4 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

My wife and I's marriage interview is this month. We have several supporting documents including phone bills w/ calls to each other, netflix and other things mailed to our home in both of our names. I just have a few questions:

1) I JUST got my SSN and EAD like 3 weeks ago, and then got a letter three days later scheduling my interview for later this month. Due to that my wife and I have very little in our names together, because up until 3 weeks ago I had no name to speak of. We have netflix, cards and stuff sent from friends and family, one vehicle that we just put in our names, and proof that I am her emergency contact at work, and insurance. But we really have NOTHING else. We also signed up for a joint bank account recently, but I don't have a job or any money so what is really the point of that? Is this going to be a problem?

2) We have pictures of each other thruought the marriage but we haven't really gone anywhere. Most of the pics are from when friends came over to our apartment etc. We have been broke, living on her wages $9.50 an hour for the past almost 2 years now. We have no money to go on vacation, honeymoons, even Applebees really.

3) I love my wife. She is a, uhm, big girl tho. She's taller than me and obese. I am asian and about 115 pounds. Now, I've always liked bigger women, but when we married she wasn't this big. I'm afraid they are going to look at her and me together and think, no way does this little guy and that big girl get together. I don't know, I'm just nervous about that, even tho I do love her and do think she's sexy.

4) I have met and know her family very well, but she has never met mine. They live in California and we haven't had money to travel out there. Should we just say that plain as day?

5) I spent a lot of time in another city about 4 hours away in the past 8 months because our co-sponser lived down there and needed me to help w/ his job. He paid me to be there and help out w/ stuff. I have phone records showing that I called her daily from there, but should I bring them? Is it bad that I spent that time? I mean, we needed the money.

1. That shouldn't be an issue - the IO will be able to see the timeline. Perhaps bring a few affidavits from friends describing your marriage/life together?

2. No issues since you have a co-sponsor.

3. That shouldn't be an issue.

4. Sure.

5. Shouldn't be an issue as long as you can show the marriage is valid in other ways (no. 1)

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

It won't be an issue, no need to have things in both names, relax. This is AOS so there is little time for bringing checking accounts and whatnot together and IO knows that. When you remove conditions, best have some shared assets, that is when it is important.

Life..... Nobody gets out alive.

I'm trying to remember, I believe we were asked what we had for evidence. I brought EVERYTHING that ever had our name on it and our wedding album. He asked for our bank statements showing we had a joint account, flicked through our wedding album, and looked at our travel plans for our upcoming honeymoon. We had also gone back to the UK for christmas, so I think I showed him either the ticket stubs or our passports.

Basically take what you have that shows you together and that you have a real marriage. It sounds like you have that with what you stated. Bring it all to the interview and just tell them what you have. Be honest and explain any questions the same way you did here. The only thing I would leave out is getting paid for your work since it sounds like you didn't have your EAD yet (unless you are asked of course).

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.