33 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

My husband and I were in a similar situation. He entered the US on Dec. 7, 2008 on a K-1. We married Dec. 20th, 2008. On Dec. 29th, 2008 he had a family emergency in Germany and flew home. Since we were so used to him coming and going on the VWP, it didnt even occur to us that him returning would be a problem since we had not filed AOS yet. A few weeks later it was brought to our attention and we began consulting attorneys. We were advised that he would probably be denied entry back into the US once the officer saw a used K-1 in his passport. So, in February 2009 we started his CR-1 paperwork and here we go again! I'm very sorry for your situation and I feel for you!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

Not all is lost. Start the immigration process ASAP so that the clock on any bar to admission begins to tick. Spend the time that you will have to sit out in the UK with your ailing father and use the time there to try to save your pennies. 3 - 10 years sounds like a long time, but when one places it into the context that you are facing with your father's projected time due to the grave illness, it can and does pass far too quickly.

i am a UK citizen married to a US citizen, i returned home not so long ago because we were having difficulties and my dad is seriously ill in hospital, i don't think he has long.

i am in a bit of a panic, because with one thing and another, i have returned home and i don't know if i can go back because i just caught a plane and left, they took my I194 from my passport and nothing more was said.

now i think i am stuck.

i entered the US on a K1 visa, we married within 90 days, this was early last year, we didn't yet complete the adjustment of status because of money problems. but i was told that wasn't a big problem.

i got my SSN number within a few weeks of being married.

do we need to start the whole process again? from scratch...all that waiting...? my dad is ill and i for one am not coping with all this to well, being back home and being away from my husband.

now we are both going nuts thinking how the hell i am going to get back!

it all happened so quickly

can anyone help?

getting me there skint us both, bringing me back here broke our backs, and now, to go through all the costs again is probably going to destroy us, my husband is having a hard time dealing with the distance and i am going nuts being so far away and unable to help him. we couldnt afford the adjustment of status and now we cant afford to start the whole thing again...

i just want our lives back.

please can someone advise.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

I don't have a lot to add other than having some experience obtaining a waiver. My wife's case required a waiver, specifically the I-212, and it took about 9 months from sending in the requirements to getting it approved. I wish you a great amount of luck as I'm sure this situation is taxing and I hope it can be corrected as smoothly as possible, good luck!

My wife has been back since June 5, 2007. Now we're just livin' man, L I V I N :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.