rebex05

Timeline for filing

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

My husband's green card will expire in January of next year. We are planning on traveling to see his family the end of this year returning about a month before the green card expires. I know that recommendation is to file anywhere within the 90 days before the green card expires. Would there be any chance that an interview or other appointment could be set before the green card expires? We do not want to buy tickets and then have an interview during the same time. What would anyone recommend? Also will it be difficult for him to reenter the US with a green card about to expire? Thanks in advance.

03/16/03: Met the love of my life

01/24/06: Officially began our relationship

11/01/06: He proposed marriage :)

02/17/07: I-129F Sent to NSC

02/23/07: I-129F NOA1

02/28/07: I-129F NOA2 (found out while checking on-line)

03/02/07: Received hard copy NOA1

03/08/07: Received hard copy NOA2

03/13/07: NVC sent packet to La Habana

03/27/07: Telegram "sent" to fiance to pick up packet 3... never received

04/02/07: I contacted the "embassy" to find out status of case and set up pick up date

04/04/07: Fiance picked up packet 3

04/05/07: I called toll-free # here to set up appointment for my fiancé

05/10/07: Interview scheduled for 7:30AM... Visa Approved!!!!!!!!

05/14/07: Picks up passport/visa and brown sealed envelope

05/15/07: Paperwork for the carta blanca turned in

05/24/07: Carta Blanca received and bought plane ticket

06/04/07: Entry into the US... together again!!!!!!!

08/07/07: MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your biometrics appt. is usually set anywhere from 2 - 6 weeks after sending (and USCIS accepting) your petition. Most of us seem to have gotten an appt. around the 1 month mark, but this will vary depending on local office. If you are worried about having an appt. while you are gone, why don't you just prepare all the papers before hand and mail the petition out as soon as you come back or even on your way to the airport (providing you are not going for an extended stay). Yes, it will delay your process by 2 months, but this is a worry free. option.

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

Thanks for the reply. It helps to have an idea from others what their timelines have been. I think your suggestion is great that way we do not miss anything and have a worry free visit with his family. :yes:

Your biometrics appt. is usually set anywhere from 2 - 6 weeks after sending (and USCIS accepting) your petition. Most of us seem to have gotten an appt. around the 1 month mark, but this will vary depending on local office. If you are worried about having an appt. while you are gone, why don't you just prepare all the papers before hand and mail the petition out as soon as you come back or even on your way to the airport (providing you are not going for an extended stay). Yes, it will delay your process by 2 months, but this is a worry free. option.

03/16/03: Met the love of my life

01/24/06: Officially began our relationship

11/01/06: He proposed marriage :)

02/17/07: I-129F Sent to NSC

02/23/07: I-129F NOA1

02/28/07: I-129F NOA2 (found out while checking on-line)

03/02/07: Received hard copy NOA1

03/08/07: Received hard copy NOA2

03/13/07: NVC sent packet to La Habana

03/27/07: Telegram "sent" to fiance to pick up packet 3... never received

04/02/07: I contacted the "embassy" to find out status of case and set up pick up date

04/04/07: Fiance picked up packet 3

04/05/07: I called toll-free # here to set up appointment for my fiancé

05/10/07: Interview scheduled for 7:30AM... Visa Approved!!!!!!!!

05/14/07: Picks up passport/visa and brown sealed envelope

05/15/07: Paperwork for the carta blanca turned in

05/24/07: Carta Blanca received and bought plane ticket

06/04/07: Entry into the US... together again!!!!!!!

08/07/07: MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.