14 posts in this topic

I was at DMV this morning, and they would not accept my NOA as proof of extension. They said I needed the biometrics letter and that this was only a "receipt"

However the first line states " your conditional resident status is extended for a period of one year. During this extension, etc. etc. etc"

I know there's no point pushing the point if they've made up their mind, should I just go to another DMV or were they correct?

Thanks guys.

April 14 - sent I-129F to Vermont

April 25 - NOA1

May, June, July lost to IMBRA and RFE's

Aug 22 - NOA2

Sept 25 - interview date OCTOBER 13th

Oct 26 - arrived at JFK - work authorized

Nov 21 - apply SSN, received Nov 29

Dec 16 - marriage license

Jan 05 - wedding

Jan 30 - AOS begins

AOS

Feb 07 - NOA1 ,check cashed

Feb 28 - notice I-485 sent to CSC

Mar 10 - Biometrics

Apr 16 - surprise RFE arrives..they lost my medical. New medical returned, Apr 23

Jun 1st - RFE ..more medical BS ( go back for TB skin test)

Jun 28 - CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!!!

July 06- Green card arrives.

LIFTING CONDITIONS 2009

June 12 - mailed package

June 15 - check cashed

June 19 - NOA extension letter ( card expires June 26th)

July 03 - Biometrics notice

July 14 - Biometrics appointment

OCT 29 - CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Did you apply for an unrestricted replacement SSN card after getting Green-card? Unrestriced SSN has NO "With DHS auth" Notation

Many state DMV will accept the UN-Restricted SSN card, along with other evidence of residency like mail to your address.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Other Timeline

They are wrong. Keep in mind DMV people, for the most part, are drones, stupid as stupid goes. Ask to see a supervisor, better yet the director of that DMV, and tell him or her that you have been mistreated by an ignorant employee and would like that to be resolved right away.

Bring a written statement and have him or her sign that you requested action in your case. Make sure you know what you're talking about but be polite and look the part.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Did you apply for an unrestricted replacement SSN card after getting Green-card? Unrestriced SSN has NO "With DHS auth" Notation

Many state DMV will accept the UN-Restricted SSN card, along with other evidence of residency like mail to your address.

Yes, I have an unrestricted SSN card.

April 25 - NOA1

Aug 22 - NOA2

Jan 05 - wedding

Jan 30 - AOS begins

AOS

Mar 10 - Biometrics

Apr 16 - surprise RFE arrives..they lost my medical. New medical returned, Apr 23

LIFTING CONDITIONS 2009

June 12 - mailed package

June 15 - check cashed

They are wrong. Keep in mind DMV people, for the most part, are drones, stupid as stupid goes. Ask to see a supervisor, better yet the director of that DMV, and tell him or her that you have been mistreated by an ignorant employee and would like that to be resolved right away.

Bring a written statement and have him or her sign that you requested action in your case. Make sure you know what you're talking about but be polite and look the part.

The girl was polite, she took it to her supervisor to check, and came back with" this is only a receipt...you need the one saying you have an appointment for finger prints etc..." Supervisor was locked away in a cave somewhere!

Think I'll just go to another one. I work in Manhattan so it's not difficult. I just wanted to know who was correct so I could push it further next time.

thanks!

April 25 - NOA1

Aug 22 - NOA2

Jan 05 - wedding

Jan 30 - AOS begins

AOS

Mar 10 - Biometrics

LIFTING CONDITIONS 2009

June 12 - mailed package

June 15 - check cashed

I had a similar problem in Manhattan. The belligerent DMV employee who initially checked my documents was adamant that the extension letter was unacceptable, and as my 2 yr Green Card was "out of date" I could not be granted a NY lcense. He referred me to a supervisor, with the proviso "be prepared to be told exactly the same thing!"

The supervisor told me it WAS acceptable. My problem, however, was that the New Jersey DMV, in granting my previous license based on my 2 yr Green Card, had printed "temp imm. status" on my license, which prevented the NY DMV from granting me a NY license.

I therefore have to go back to NJ, get that removed from my license, go back to NY, and get a NY license. :ranting:

A bit of customer service training at the DMV would not go amiss.

02-18-2009 - I-751 filed (Removal of Conditions)

02-20-2009 - NOA1

03-20-2009 - Biometrics Appointment

03-23-2009 - Touched

06-22-2009 - Removal of Conditions approved (via USPS)

07-01-2009 - Email from USCIS advising of approval

07-06-2009 - Received 10-yr Permanent Resident Card

02-18-2010 - Eligible to file for naturalization

----------------------------------

Disclaimer! Any advice I give is purely informal, and is not legal advice.

I had a similar problem in Manhattan. The belligerent DMV employee who initially checked my documents was adamant that the extension letter was unacceptable, and as my 2 yr Green Card was "out of date" I could not be granted a NY lcense. He referred me to a supervisor, with the proviso "be prepared to be told exactly the same thing!"

The supervisor told me it WAS acceptable. My problem, however, was that the New Jersey DMV, in granting my previous license based on my 2 yr Green Card, had printed "temp imm. status" on my license, which prevented the NY DMV from granting me a NY license.

I therefore have to go back to NJ, get that removed from my license, go back to NY, and get a NY license. :ranting:

A bit of customer service training at the DMV would not go amiss.

oh boy, were you at Herald Square??? :) and did you have your first extension letter or the one for biometrics??

The reason I went was that I had 3 days left on my cond Greencard and what I thought was the extension letter in hand. I hadn't been able to go before as my GC did not have 6 months left on it.....what a fustercluck!

April 25 - NOA1

Aug 22 - NOA2

Jan 05 - wedding

Jan 30 - AOS begins

AOS

Mar 10 - Biometrics

LIFTING CONDITIONS 2009

June 12 - mailed package

June 15 - check cashed

Timeline

The girl was polite, she took it to her supervisor to check, and came back with" this is only a receipt...you need the one saying you have an appointment for finger prints etc..." Supervisor was locked away in a cave somewhere!

Think I'll just go to another one. I work in Manhattan so it's not difficult. I just wanted to know who was correct so I could push it further next time.

thanks!

You say Manahattan, is it a NY DL?

Are you renewing a NY DL?

If NY you need 6 points of identity'

NYS Photo Driver License /Learner Permit/Non-Driver ID Card. Must be current or not expired for more than 2 years. (6 POINTS)
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/id44.pdf

If all you have is the expired I-551 card, and letter, and NO NY DL, then you may be out of luck, you may need to schedule an info pass appointment to USCIS bring the ID44 sheet from NY DMV showing that they only accept I-551, and request an I-551 stamp in passport.

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Filed: Timeline

There are lots of morons working at the DMV. They usually treats us with no respects. Long long ago, when I can get a DL with my student visa, the guy worked at the DMV typed my name in a wrong way, I pointed it out , he was mad and said he was right. It caused me millions of troubles later.

I was at DMV this morning, and they would not accept my NOA as proof of extension. They said I needed the biometrics letter and that this was only a "receipt"

However the first line states " your conditional resident status is extended for a period of one year. During this extension, etc. etc. etc"

I know there's no point pushing the point if they've made up their mind, should I just go to another DMV or were they correct?

Thanks guys.

Timeline
There are lots of morons working at the DMV. They usually treats us with no respects. Long long ago, when I can get a DL with my student visa, the guy worked at the DMV typed my name in a wrong way, I pointed it out , he was mad and said he was right. It caused me millions of troubles later.

Thanks guys.

Keep in mind the DMV is a STATE department, it is NOT part of the US government, so requirements vary by state. NY as a specific set of requirements, they only accept a valid green-card or valid I-551 stamp in passport as proof of residence for a non citizen.

NYS Photo Driver License /Learner Permit/Non-Driver ID Card. Must be current or not expired for more than 2 years. (6 POINTS)

I was actually going to get a learners permit.

I have plenty of stuff for the 6 points, but it states that the Greencard ( for use as proof of DOB as I can't use a foreign BC )must have 6 months validity on it, which is why I thought the extension letter should suffice?? A years extension is longer than 6 months? They weren't concerned with a stamp in my passport, ( didn't even ask for it)just said that only the biometrics notice served as an extension letter, not the original NOA - they called it a 'receipt' despite it saying on the first line that it is an extension of one year!

April 25 - NOA1

Aug 22 - NOA2

Jan 05 - wedding

Jan 30 - AOS begins

AOS

Mar 10 - Biometrics

LIFTING CONDITIONS 2009

June 12 - mailed package

June 15 - check cashed

Timeline

I was actually going to get a learners permit.

I have plenty of stuff for the 6 points, but it states that the Greencard ( for use as proof of DOB as I can't use a foreign BC )must have 6 months validity on it, which is why I thought the extension letter should suffice?? A years extension is longer than 6 months? They weren't concerned with a stamp in my passport, ( didn't even ask for it)just said that only the biometrics notice served as an extension letter, not the original NOA - they called it a 'receipt' despite it saying on the first line that it is an extension of one year!

The extension letter is not one of the things listed on the ID44 from the NY DMV.

Why did you not apply for a permit BEFORE your green-card expired? You had at least 2 years to get it.

When my wife got her green-card we went to the NY DMV and applied for a permit, the permit is valid until 2011 long after the 2 year green-card expires, and even after green-card expires, and she finally passes the road test, the permit is still worth 6 points to get actual driver's license.

The extension letter is not one of the things listed on the ID44 from the NY DMV.

no, but a valid green card is, the question is ,does the extension not make my GC valid?

Why did you not apply for a permit BEFORE your green-card expired?

umm he drives a tank which I wouldn't go near.... no money for a second car ...or lessons at the time (despite the fact I've been driving 24 years, I have to have them anyway) as one salary and my temp job didn't leave room for anything else back then.. times have changed..

You had at least 2 years to get it.

actually I had 1.5 years as I needed 6 months validity on the GC to use it! I would ahve liked to go 6 months before now, but couldn't . The why doesn't really matter..I'm just trying to ascertain if the extension letter I have is valid when they tell me I need a biometrics letter...thats all. If they must have a biometrics letter I'll go back in a couple of weeks or whenever... no biggie. Or as you say, get a passport stamp and use my passport instead of the GC as DOB proof.

April 25 - NOA1

Aug 22 - NOA2

Jan 05 - wedding

Jan 30 - AOS begins

AOS

Mar 10 - Biometrics

LIFTING CONDITIONS 2009

June 12 - mailed package

June 15 - check cashed

If all you have is the expired I-551 card, and letter, and NO NY DL, then you may be out of luck, you may need to schedule an info pass appointment to USCIS bring the ID44 sheet from NY DMV showing that they only accept I-551, and request an I-551 stamp in passport.

Yes, yes, and yes. I moved to NYS last year, I was not able to get NYS DL until I got stamp in my passport.

When I tried to get a DL with my expired green card and extension letter, people in DMV office told me they couldn't accept them because the card is expired, and the letter doesn't have my photo and date of birth and it is only a receipt. They recommended me to come back when I have an actual card or at least an approval letter. At the time when waiting for an approval at VSC took about a year, it didn't sound right.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.