July09Bride

Canadians going to Michigan on K1

32 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey all! I know we're not the only couple who has filed for a K1 and will be moving to Michigan. I did some investigating today and the information I found out was IMMENSELY helpful! So, I thought I would share here. :)

Marriage License

Take the following information to your local County Clerk's Office--

MI Resident needs: MI Driver License, Birth Certificate, Passport, and Social Security Card

K1 Visa Beneficiary: CDN Driver License, Birth Certificate (long form), Passport (with K1 Stamp and I-94 Info)

Additional Info from MI State Att'y. General

Driver License

You can not apply until your AoS has been completed.

Good luck to you all! :thumbs:

PS

JillA helped a lot last night with some of this information!!! :)

Edited by July09Bride

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Hey all! I know we're not the only couple who has filed for a K1 and will be moving to Michigan. I did some investigating today and the information I found out was IMMENSELY helpful! So, I thought I would share here. :)

Marriage License

MI Resident needs: MI Driver License, Birth Certificate, Passport, and Social Security Card

K1 Visa Beneficiary: CDN Driver License, Birth Certificate (long form), Passport (with K1 Stamp and I-94 Info)

Driver License

PS

Regarding the driver's license, I know for a fact you can get it before AoS is complete. Provided you get a Social Security Card and still have validity on the I-94, you can get a DL. It's all at the SOS site. My wife got hers within a couple months of moving.

Timeline

Marriage License

Driver License

PS

Regarding the driver's license, I know for a fact you can get it before AoS is complete. Provided you get a Social Security Card and still have validity on the I-94, you can get a DL. It's all at the SOS site. My wife got hers within a couple months of moving.

That's what I thought and even read it on the website. But, according to the people (I spoke with 4 of them today) they no longer issue DLs prior to the AoS. :( Simply because K1 is a NON-IMMIGRANT Visa. Doesn't matter if there is a Social Security card or not. Until the AoS is completed, nothing is "permanent". Was your wife on a K1?

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
That's what I thought and even read it on the website. But, according to the people (I spoke with 4 of them today) they no longer issue DLs prior to the AoS. :( Simply because K1 is a NON-IMMIGRANT Visa. Doesn't matter if there is a Social Security card or not. Until the AoS is completed, nothing is "permanent". Was your wife on a K1?

Yes, she was on a K1. She got her DL back in mid-April, so unless things have changed in the last 6 or 7 weeks, I would work under the assumption that the info on the SoS site is still valid. And just a thought... perhaps showing a pending I-485 (AoS) would help tip the balance? Not sure, but good luck all the same.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Here's an advance welcome to Michigan. :)

We got married 4 days after I arrived in Michigan, so my husband applied for our marriage license without me. I had to send a copy of my Canadian driver's license and IIRC my passport and birth certificate. Because I didn't have a SSN, I had to sign a paper stating that I'd never had a SSN, and I had to have that paper notarized and sent to my husband.

According to this document, you can get a driver's license before AOS. You'll have the required documents from each column:

1: Social Security card (you can apply for one a couple weeks after you arrive in the US)

2: Passport with stamped I-94 and unexpired visa (or if you're too late for that, Employment Authorization card)

3: Canadian driver's license and marriage license

4: Utility bill, credit card bill, bank account statement, mortgage or rental agreement, car registration title, junk mail...you'll have something

I went to get my driver's license a couple of months after I moved to Michigan. All my documents were approved, but I didn't pass the vision test. :( By the time I got prescription glasses, my I-94 had expired, so I had to wait. I went back and got my driver's license right after I got my EAD. All this happened in 2008, long before my AOS was approved. I don't see any changes in the requirements since then.

K-1, AOS, ROC
2007, 2009, 2011

Naturalization

2016-05-17 - N-400 package sent

2016-05-21 - NOA1 (IOE receipt number)

2016-06-15 - Biometrics

2016-11-08 - Citizenship interview in Detroit: approved
2016-12-16 - Oath ceremony

Timeline

I just saw that your fiance is coming to Michigan, not you, so the above applies to him. Either way, I hope the above information helps. Note that marriage and driver's license requirements vary by state.

K-1, AOS, ROC
2007, 2009, 2011

Naturalization

2016-06-15 - Biometrics

Timeline

Yes, she was on a K1. She got her DL back in mid-April, so unless things have changed in the last 6 or 7 weeks, I would work under the assumption that the info on the SoS site is still valid. And just a thought... perhaps showing a pending I-485 (AoS) would help tip the balance? Not sure, but good luck all the same.

Then we'll try for it once he gets his SSN. Thanks!!! :)

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

• 8 months later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hopefully someone who has gone though it can offer advice.

I moved to Michigan & got my SSN. We aren't married yet(less than 3 weeks away).

Can I wait until I'm married to get a driver's license?

Reason being I'd like my married name on it & would rather not go back & change it.

Or...should I just go get one now?

Thanks!!

8/2/2021:  Mailed N-400

8/4/2021: N-400 received

8/6/2021:  Biometrics to be reused
3/15/2022:  Interview (successful)

Timeline
Hopefully someone who has gone though it can offer advice.

I moved to Michigan & got my SSN. We aren't married yet(less than 3 weeks away).

Can I wait until I'm married to get a driver's license?

If you have all the requirements I listed in my previous post in this thread (and as long as the requirements haven't changed), you'll be fine. :) Go for your driver's license before your I-94 expires, after you get your SSN, and with the other required documents.

K-1, AOS, ROC
2007, 2009, 2011

Naturalization

2016-06-15 - Biometrics

Timeline

I'll be moving to Michigan! Does anyone know if you can apply for the marriage license before having the K1 visa? According to what I read, you don't necessarily need the stamp. We would really like to get married the same day I move there so we would need the license in advance.

Met: December 2009

Married: April 2015

Received CR-1 visa: February 2017

POE (as IR-1): April 2017

Oath ceremony: November 2020

Timeline

I think all he needs is your birth certificate.

We're going today, so if you don't get an answer, I'll let you know!

8/2/2021:  Mailed N-400

8/4/2021: N-400 received

8/6/2021:  Biometrics to be reused
3/15/2022:  Interview (successful)

Timeline
I'll be moving to Michigan! Does anyone know if you can apply for the marriage license before having the K1 visa? According to what I read, you don't necessarily need the stamp. We would really like to get married the same day I move there so we would need the license in advance.

Contact your county clerk. I don't think you need the stamp. Michigan Marriage Laws The resident of Michigan can apply for the marriage license without the non-resident present as long as you have copies of the correct documents.

Lol I think immigration is going to be Michigan's only hope to get more people living here now. I'm going to start a campaign to get more Tim Hortons built around the state for us to become Canada's hotspot hahaha

My wife has been back since June 5, 2007. Now we're just livin' man, L I V I N :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.