skylight123

Unemployment benefit and I-134 (affidavit of support)

20 posts in this topic

Hello All...

I'm unemployed and receiving benefits. Can I use my unemployment benefit as an income for filing I-134 (affidavit of support)?

Thanks in advance

we are in the same situation, just in case, i went to my interview whit a co-sponsor, and the taxes of both (my fiance and the co-sponsor) and the other stuffs like I134 Pay stubs etc, my fiance in the affidavit put in the line of actual work that he are received benefits. my fiance was in the same boat like you, he worked very hard for the last past years, so his income are pretty good, over over the famous line (125%) , so the consul say me in the very begining of the interview, that i dont need a co-sposor and pass me all the papers of my co-spònsor, i dont know if she really see that my fiance are unemployed or just take a look the amount of his taxes :huh: , but the visas was approved, so this my experience in the Guatemala Emmbassy, i supposed that every emmabasy has his rules, good luck, and put your experience after your fiancee have his beautyful visa in had, i think that thread like this one can help to others in the same situation, now is not rare see cases like ours! :blink:

K-1 & K-2
Visa in hand: may 14
POE: Chicago (O'Hare) 05/29/2009 finally together!!!958013z2g3nx0iwd.gif
384957uvzupp2kbf.gif
AOS Journey:
sep 25 packet sent to Chicago Lockbox (AOS FOR K-I & K-2)
sep 27 received and signed
0ct 7 NOA in mailbox (dated oct 2 )
oct 13 biometrics letter (10/27/2009)(DONE)
oct 21 transfer to CSC letter in mailbox ( dated oct 16)
nov 13 : EAD & AP approved
touch after EAD & AP approval? USCIS crazy ppl.
nov 20: AP arrive in the mail
nov 21: EAD arrive in mail

NOV 30: AOS APPROVED (Thanks GOD)
DEC 5: GC & SS arrived in mail
I-751 sent: 08/26/2011
NOA 1: 08/30/2011
BIO: 10/13/2011[/color
I-751 approved 06/28/2012
CARD RECEIVED 05/07/2012

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hello All...

I'm unemployed and receiving benefits. Can I use my unemployment benefit as an income for filing I-134 (affidavit of support)?

Thanks in advance

we are in the same situation, just in case, i went to my interview whit a co-sponsor, and the taxes of both (my fiance and the co-sponsor) and the other stuffs like I134 Pay stubs etc, my fiance in the affidavit put in the line of actual work that he are received benefits. my fiance was in the same boat like you, he worked very hard for the last past years, so his income are pretty good, over over the famous line (125%) , so the consul say me in the very begining of the interview, that i dont need a co-sposor and pass me all the papers of my co-spònsor, i dont know if she really see that my fiance are unemployed or just take a look the amount of his taxes :huh: , but the visas was approved, so this my experience in the Guatemala Emmbassy, i supposed that every emmabasy has his rules, good luck, and put your experience after your fiancee have his beautyful visa in had, i think that thread like this one can help to others in the same situation, now is not rare see cases like ours! :blink:

Maybe somewhere in the UCSIS rules that if the petitioner don't meet the 125% federal income guideline you must have a co-sponsor to guarantee the US Gov't that the fiance being petitioned will not be a public charge. If however the application was denied (base on income) eventhough you have a co-sponsor (close relative) who is a US Citizen & earning well above the federal income guideline then the best action is for the petitioner to talk to his/her local congressman.

By the way jokalu, did your interviewer ask you lots of questions before you got your visa?

Edited by skylight123

Filed: Other Timeline
You can - however, since they are not permanent, it may reflect badly on you.

If in doubt - co-sponsor may be needed.

Thanks Bobby. Actually, I have 1 co-sponsor. Do I have to do (2) I-134's or just (1) which is my co-sponsor?

I've been "told" that the embassy in Manila don't like co-sponsor, at all? You may think about joint-sponsor

"Joint sponsor" is a term that applies when the I-864 is used. It does not apply to obtaining a K1 visa. Manila has usually accepted a co-sponsor when there is a close relationship but it can be iffy.

ohhhh your right sorry for the wrong info

Is child support considered income and how would that work on an I-134?

Court ordered child support is considered income and as long as it has a reasonable time left on the order, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be considered the same as earned income. Document it with a copy of the court order and evidence it is actually being received.

There is no mention in any written memoranda from USCIS/DOS that stipulates a remaining duration of child support in order for it to be considered income.

Edited by rebeccajo

Hello All...

Thanks in advance

Maybe somewhere in the UCSIS rules that if the petitioner don't meet the 125% federal income guideline you must have a co-sponsor to guarantee the US Gov't that the fiance being petitioned will not be a public charge. If however the application was denied (base on income) eventhough you have a co-sponsor (close relative) who is a US Citizen & earning well above the federal income guideline then the best action is for the petitioner to talk to his/her local congressman.

By the way jokalu, did your interviewer ask you lots of questions before you got your visa?

No really, just 5 questions, how many are you been married before, how many your fiance have been married before,how many childrens you have, and the same question on my fiance, and the last was, are you have any problems whit the police? so everything was very very easy, she give us the 3 visas !!! why you asked me this?

K-1 & K-2
Visa in hand: may 14
POE: Chicago (O'Hare) 05/29/2009 finally together!!!958013z2g3nx0iwd.gif
384957uvzupp2kbf.gif
AOS Journey:
sep 25 packet sent to Chicago Lockbox (AOS FOR K-I & K-2)
sep 27 received and signed
0ct 7 NOA in mailbox (dated oct 2 )
oct 13 biometrics letter (10/27/2009)(DONE)
oct 21 transfer to CSC letter in mailbox ( dated oct 16)
nov 13 : EAD & AP approved
touch after EAD & AP approval? USCIS crazy ppl.
nov 20: AP arrive in the mail
nov 21: EAD arrive in mail

NOV 30: AOS APPROVED (Thanks GOD)
DEC 5: GC & SS arrived in mail
I-751 sent: 08/26/2011
NOA 1: 08/30/2011
BIO: 10/13/2011[/color
I-751 approved 06/28/2012
CARD RECEIVED 05/07/2012

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hello All...

Thanks in advance

No really, just 5 questions, how many are you been married before, how many your fiance have been married before,how many childrens you have, and the same question on my fiance, and the last was, are you have any problems whit the police? so everything was very very easy, she give us the 3 visas !!! why you asked me this?

Jokalu Thanks.

Just wanted to know so I can tell my fiance that these are the possible questions they might ask her during the interview.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.