lovechocolates

anyone has visited the US while K1 is pending?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

hihi everyone:

I am working for Deutsche Bank London office and my fiance is working for DB NYC.

I have flew to see him more than 6 times since last year. Now I have applied KI and have been advised not going to the US.

However, I just miss him so much and want to see him. I was wondering if there is any chance if I have my employment letter, landlord contract and other stuff so the immigration officer will allow me enter the US?

Big thanks for your response!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
hihi everyone:

I am working for Deutsche Bank London office and my fiance is working for DB NYC.

I have flew to see him more than 6 times since last year. Now I have applied KI and have been advised not going to the US.

However, I just miss him so much and want to see him. I was wondering if there is any chance if I have my employment letter, landlord contract and other stuff so the immigration officer will allow me enter the US?

many have done this... entry requirements are the same... if you are able to convince, if questioned, that you will leave then they will let you enter

YMMV

hihi everyone:

Hi: Just to verify, I have already has a tourist visa valid until next June. By the way, will my entry to the US delay my K1 process?

I went across twice during my CR-1 process. Different visa, but the same thing in essence, as they think you have a high risk of overstaying.

I just stated clearly that I was visiting friends and family for a holiday/vacation and would be returning home to work on date X-X-X. As long as your ticket matches that, you'll be fine. Just be confident, friendly and honest with the immigration staff and you won't be hassled. But of course, the paperwork you mention is always a good backup plan, in case they do ask for evidence. I didn't need it though. Once through Dallas, once through Toronto.

Don't do what a lot of people say to do, travel via Ireland, as reports say you still get immigration on the other side anyway.

Edited for your last question: No, it won't delay your process unless you commit a crime.

Edited by paul.

- OUR TIMELINE -

04/25/08 - sent I-130 to Chicago lockbox

05/05/08 - received NOA1, assigned to VSC

11/07/08 - transferred to CSC

12/16/08 - NOA2 by email - I-130 approved

12/20/08 - NOA2 in mail - 240 days

12/22/08 - NVC receive package

01/05/09 - we receive AOS Bill and DS-3032

02/12/09 - medical 04th Mar 2009 - NVC Complete - 314 days

04/28/09 - interview passed - 370 days

06/20/09 - visa arrived by courier

06/21/09 - POE Dallas Fort-Worth - 398 days to gain permanent residence (CR-1)

02/22/11 - Sent I-765 to Vermont Service Center

03/03/11 - Received receipt for I-765

04/04/11 - AOS interview and biometrics in Oklahoma City - took all of 20 minutes, no sweat

Currently waiting on my 10-year Green Card - Best wishes to everyone going through their journey!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I personally think you would have no problems. Things that show that you have every intent to return to the UK (employer letter, lease etc.) would be handy to have with you, just in case you are questioned closely at the POE to the US. Just be brief with your answers when asked for reason for travel (pleasure, holiday) and you shouldn't have any problems.

Don't do what a lot of people say to do, travel via Ireland, as reports say you still get immigration on the other side anyway.

From personal experience, they ask the same going through border contral in Ireland, I was questioned a little about my reasons for visiting the US, but once I mentioned I was working for a large multinational, the questions vanished.

Edited by SirJon

I claim it in the name of the Empire

SirJon, so would you advocate going through Ireland after all then? I've read reports where immigration was done in Ireland, but then again when they landed in the US. If that's true, that would make the journey pointless for many people.

- OUR TIMELINE -

04/04/11 - AOS interview and biometrics in Oklahoma City - took all of 20 minutes, no sweat

Currently waiting on my 10-year Green Card - Best wishes to everyone going through their journey!

I went across twice during my CR-1 process. Different visa, but the same thing in essence, as they think you have a high risk of overstaying.

I just stated clearly that I was visiting friends and family for a holiday/vacation and would be returning home to work on date X-X-X. As long as your ticket matches that, you'll be fine. Just be confident, friendly and honest with the immigration staff and you won't be hassled. But of course, the paperwork you mention is always a good backup plan, in case they do ask for evidence. I didn't need it though. Once through Dallas, once through Toronto.

Edited for your last question: No, it won't delay your process unless you commit a crime.

Thank you very much!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I did so, and it was not a problem. You just have to say a customs officer that you dont intend to stay there for a long time. (I stayed there for two months, it was also ok).

Edited by surprise

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
SirJon, so would you advocate going through Ireland after all then? I've read reports where immigration was done in Ireland, but then again when they landed in the US. If that's true, that would make the journey pointless for many people.

Every time I have flown from Ireland I have gone through immigration in the airport when leaving, and walked through at the other end. I have not had the experience of doing immigration twice.

I guess Ireland is a good choice if you are in the UK in case (God forbid!) you are refused entry.

I claim it in the name of the Empire

OK! Well thanks for your first-hand experience! I revoke my previous statement to not use that route then, as I have been misinformed. But as everyone has said, as long as you have a genuine reason and proof of return, you will be fine, honest.

- OUR TIMELINE -

I've gone about 4 times after we were engaged, even when we had started the K1 process.

I always told them I was there to visit my boyfriend and then fiance - eek! Everyone told me that was the worse thing to do, but I always said it as I didn't want ANY chance of misrepresentation.

I've never had any problems except one time where he questioned me for quite some time about my rights and intentions, and after a lot of hesitation and looking at my tickets and college letter, he stamped me in and said nothing.

I personally think you'll be OK. Just take that evidence!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

This is probably the commonly asked question here on VJ. It's even in the FAQ.

No matter if you have a valid visa and no matter anyone else's experience, it is still up to the CBP agent. If you haven't already spent too much time in the US, bringing ties to your home Country is most important and you SHOULD be able to visit.

My now husband was "allowed to withdraw his petition to enter" in Ireland for intent.... so it does happen. ;)

timeline.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.