jhunjhun

Can I cash a canadian check in USA?

38 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I wonder what issues I'll face when attempting to cash a draft from my Canadian bank account into my USC fiance's bank account at WaMu.

That's how I was hoping/planning on transferring my own money own. The whole sum of it, heh.

if its a great deal of $$$--and nice to have anyways--is a custom House acct!! Many of us here have used it for years.

http://www.customhouse.com/ It has been recently bought by Western Union, so not sure if anything will change, so far it hasn't

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder what issues I'll face when attempting to cash a draft from my Canadian bank account into my USC fiance's bank account at WaMu.

That's how I was hoping/planning on transferring my own money own. The whole sum of it, heh.

if its a great deal of $$$--and nice to have anyways--is a custom House acct!! Many of us here have used it for years.

http://www.customhouse.com/ It has been recently bought by Western Union, so not sure if anything will change, so far it hasn't

I've heard mention of that place elsewhere on the site... Is it really necessary?

Yes, it will be a significant amount of money that I'm looking to bring over.

01/08/2010 - Applied for SSN in maiden name.

01/09/2010 - Married! Officially a Missis.

01/19/2010 - Received SSN in mail.

02/10/2010 - Sent I-485/I-131/I-765 to Chicago.

02/19/2010 - NOA dates for all applications.

02/22/2010 - Received NOAs in mail.

02/23/2010 - Applied for SSN for married name.

03/04/2010 - Applied for Florida DL in married name.

03/09/2010 - Biometrics appointment.

04/18/2010 - AP received.

04/23/2010 - EAD approved.

04/27/2010 - AOS Interview at Orlando USCIS (decision pending).

04/28/2010 - Card production ordered!

05/03/2010 - EAD received.

05/03/2010 - Welcome letter received.

05/28/2010 - Green Card received in mail.

01/26/2012 - Mailed RoC packet to VSC.

01/30/2012 - NOA date on application.

02/01/2012 - Cheque cashed.

02/05/2012 - Received NOA in mail.

02/10/2012 - Touch.

02/24/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice dated.

02/27/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice received.

03/23/2012 - Biometrics appointment.

09/20/2012 - Touch. Card Production ordered!

09/21/2012 - Touch.

09/24/2012 - Touch. Card mailed.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I've heard mention of that place elsewhere on the site... Is it really necessary?

Yes, it will be a significant amount of money that I'm looking to bring over.

CustomHouse will normally give you a better exchange rate than the bank!! so the $$$ can add up. I have lived in the USA since Dec 2004 and I stil use it. When I'm going to head back to Canada, just transfer $$ to my Cdn Acct! Free to set up and NO fees if you EFT (electronic file transfer)

Does take a bit to set up, but it is very easy and staff (out of Victoria BC) are very friendly. A transaction takes between 3-4 BUSINESS days to complete. if ya need the $$ quicker they do offer a wire service, but does cost a few (never used it)

Is it necessary No? But it wil save you Money! Some USA banks really hate International cheques

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Timeline

Have you learned nothing from reading these threads, Grasshoppa?!! Don't cash Canadian cheques at US banks!!! :bonk:

iagree.gif

Have you learned nothing from reading these threads, Grasshoppa?!! Don't cash Canadian cheques at US banks!!! :bonk:

My curiosity came from the fact that a draft, in essence, is cash. It doesn't rely on whether or not I have a balance in my account -- it is the balance of my account, in part or whole. So I was wondering if they viewed that any differently.

01/08/2010 - Applied for SSN in maiden name.

01/09/2010 - Married! Officially a Missis.

01/19/2010 - Received SSN in mail.

02/10/2010 - Sent I-485/I-131/I-765 to Chicago.

02/19/2010 - NOA dates for all applications.

02/22/2010 - Received NOAs in mail.

02/23/2010 - Applied for SSN for married name.

03/04/2010 - Applied for Florida DL in married name.

03/09/2010 - Biometrics appointment.

04/18/2010 - AP received.

04/23/2010 - EAD approved.

04/27/2010 - AOS Interview at Orlando USCIS (decision pending).

04/28/2010 - Card production ordered!

05/03/2010 - EAD received.

05/03/2010 - Welcome letter received.

05/28/2010 - Green Card received in mail.

01/26/2012 - Mailed RoC packet to VSC.

01/30/2012 - NOA date on application.

02/01/2012 - Cheque cashed.

02/05/2012 - Received NOA in mail.

02/10/2012 - Touch.

02/24/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice dated.

02/27/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice received.

03/23/2012 - Biometrics appointment.

09/20/2012 - Touch. Card Production ordered!

09/21/2012 - Touch.

09/24/2012 - Touch. Card mailed.

Filed: Timeline
My curiosity came from the fact that a draft, in essence, is cash. It doesn't rely on whether or not I have a balance in my account -- it is the balance of my account, in part or whole. So I was wondering if they viewed that any differently.

I'd give them a call and see what they have to say. Ask to speak with the assistant manager or the manager because the tellers will answer but they usually don't know what they're talking about. Let us know what happens! I'd be interested to find out how they handle it.

iagree.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

grr just posting a follow-up here 'cause I just called Chase's international collection hotline for some clarification.

The thing that tripped my deposit up was the fact that it was over $5000 USD in value. Apparently that's the condition to trigger a different type of processing...

So the lesson here is don't try to deposit a check/draft over $5k if you can avoid it. Unfortunately for me there is nothing to do but wait now.

Lifting Conditions

01-Jun-2011: Filed I-751

06-Jun-2011: I-751 NOA

20-Jul-2011: Biometrics appointment

03-Dec-2011: File Electronic AR-11 to update address

25-Mar-2012: Approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.