chikarakobu

Travelling during citizenship application

9 posts in this topic

Hello,

Not sure if I'm posting in the right board here but I'm Canadian so I'll try :blush:

I live in Canada, he lives in the US as a PR.

My US PR-husband just mailed in his application to become a US citizen through naturalization yesterday.

He's going to be out of the country for all of July and most of August.

My question is regarding this (from USCIS Website):

As part of this effort, many naturalization applicants will receive an appointment notice for an interview that will be scheduled after normal business hours on a weekday, or on Saturday or Sunday, at a USCIS office where their application is being processed. This interview is very important, and applicants should make every effort to appear for the scheduled interview since the current USCIS policy for rescheduling of interviews still applies. Please refer to the appointment notice for additional information about the appointment and the rescheduling policy.

His reason for being out of the country is to attend a family member's wedding and visit a sick relative. Is that a sufficient reason?

Does anyone have experience with this? I guess there's a chance he won't get a call for an appointment until after the trip (hopefully). Our other concern is when they'll request for him to get his fingerprints while he's away.

Any suggestions or links to info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I would have suggested that he waited until after his trip to mail that.

http://www.visajourney.com/news/2009/04/09...zen-is-shorter/

Since USCIS is not processing as many applications lately there is a good chance of a biometric or interview while he is out of the country.

Look up processing times for his field office here: https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/jsps/ptimes.jsp

If you don't know the field office you can look that up here using zip code.

https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=of....office_type=LO

This really belongs in the Citizenship forum.

Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

I would have suggested that he waited until after his trip to mail that.

http://www.visajourney.com/news/2009/04/09...zen-is-shorter/

Since USCIS is not processing as many applications lately there is a good chance of a biometric or interview while he is out of the country.

Look up processing times for his field office here: https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/jsps/ptimes.jsp

If you don't know the field office you can look that up here using zip code.

https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=of....office_type=LO

This really belongs in the Citizenship forum.

Yeah, I wish he would have waited, too but the trip was kind of a last minute thing as well.

Thanks for moving it to the appropriate forum. :D

His reason for being out of the country is to attend a family member's wedding and visit a sick relative. Is that a sufficient reason?

Does anyone have experience with this? I guess there's a chance he won't get a call for an appointment until after the trip (hopefully). Our other concern is when they'll request for him to get his fingerprints while he's away.

Thank you so much!

As long as new trip doesn't break residency requirement for N400, he will be o.k.

For fingerprint appointment, USCIS will normally allow walk-in after the scheduled appointment, which is missed by applicant, but it is varied from district office to DO.

For missing interview appointments, he can always to contact USCIS to reschedule it.

Even before the trip, he can mail to USCIS for the reqeust or notification for out-of-country trip schedule to avoid any scheduling during that period.

USCIS may loose the track of that request, but you can notify them for potential scheduling conflict. :whistle:

Mail to the address appeared in NOA1, or call 1-800 number to ask "service request" for the case.

Edited by moonhunt

Thank you so much!

As long as new trip doesn't break residency requirement for N400, he will be o.k.

For fingerprint appointment, USCIS will normally allow walk-in after the scheduled appointment, which is missed by applicant, but it is varied from district office to DO.

For missing interview appointments, he can always to contact USCIS to reschedule it.

Even before the trip, he can mail to USCIS for the reqeust or notification for out-of-country trip schedule to avoid any scheduling during that period.

USCIS may loose the track of that request, but you can notify them for potential scheduling conflict. :whistle:

Mail to the address appeared in NOA1, or call 1-800 number to ask "service request" for the case.

Thank you Moonhunt! Very helpful to know. ^_^

Filed: Country: Sri Lanka
Timeline

My signature below shows the short timeline when I rescheduled the interview. I had to be away for my brother's wedding and I said so in the letter requesting a new interview date.

Your partner does need to mail a request for a new interview date once he gets the letter to avoid further delays (if he's a no show). Hopefully someone is there to pick up his mail in the US, while he's away for two months. Good luck

N-400

11-07-08 Mailed application to VT

11-20-08 NOA1 from NBC in Missouri

12-06-08 Biometrics

01-24-09 recieve appointment for 3/25 interview

01-25-09 Mailed letter to Hartford requesting new interview date (away on 3/25 at brother's wedding)

02-12-09 Recieve letter from NBC stating they have recieved my request for new interview date

02-21-09 Recieve letter for interview on April 7th. Hartford's got it's act together!

05-08-09 Oath ceremony in New Haven CT

Removal of Conditions

11-28-07 Mailed I-751 to VT

12-12-07 NOA (date-12-07-07)

01-10-08 Biometrics Appt

10-30-08 Approval letter (dated 10-27-08-approved!). Zero touches prior to letter

11-04-08 10-yr card arrives in the mail

i sent my application on 23 th march.. had my fingerprints done on 24 th april.. and next week i'm leaving for 2 months for my sister's wedding

honestly,i'm not expecting interview notice till august, cause things go so slow down here in miami.my spouse is going to check mails.if i receive inetrview notice,just going to cut off vacation early and come back..mostly they send interview notice a month before..

i just don't want to request anew interview date cause it might take forever

animated_us_flag.gifN-400 Naturalization

03/23/09 Sent N-400 to Lewisville, Texas by UPS

03/25/09 delivered

03/30/09 check cashed

03/31/09 NOA

04/03/09 Touched

04/24/09 Biometrics

07/18/09 Interview letter received

08/19/09 Interview -*APPROVED*

08/27/09 Oath date -** US CITIZEN **

09/01/09 Applied for passport

09/14/09 Passport Received !!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline
Hello,

Not sure if I'm posting in the right board here but I'm Canadian so I'll try :blush:

I live in Canada, he lives in the US as a PR.

My US PR-husband just mailed in his application to become a US citizen through naturalization yesterday.

He's going to be out of the country for all of July and most of August.

It is important your husband have someone at home checking his mail.

It is very likely he will receive his biometrics appointment date before he is scheduled to leave - they are normally within 30 days of application receipt. If he misses his appointment, it can be done as a walk-in - but, I am unsure if this is permitted if it is longer than 30 days since the scheduled date - you can check on this more if it becomes an issue - I doubt it will. Same if he receives the notification before he leaves, but, is scheduled for after he will have left - do a walk-in before he leaves.

If he receives notification for his interview while he will be/is out of the country, he can request to have his interview rescheduled. I did this myself last year while I was in Canada for five months after my biometrics. When he receives the interview notification letter, it explains the procedure to follow it you are unable to make the appointment )basically write a letter explaining why - being out of the country visiting relatives is an adequate reason, also advise them when he will back in the USA . Make sure you send it to the exact address , including a room number etc if it is given, and, make sure this letter is sent with delivery confirmation. He should then received a rescheduled interview. Unfortunately, my "please reschedule" letter disappeared into the black hole of the USCIS, two weeks after the scheduled date i received a "please explain why you missed your appointment " letter. I re-wrote to them, including a copy of the original letter, and the USPS delivery confirmation advice. I received my rescheduled interview 6 days after the date I had advised them I would be available.

You coudl do as Moonhunt suggests and notify them in advance that he is unavailbale during a particularr period, but, personally i thin kit is unlikely such a letter would ever match itself to his file.

The bottom line is that it mayhaven been more convenient f your husband had waited until after the trip, but, regardless, it is still possible to do it now. Don't worry too much about it, and things will chug along :-)

N400 at California SC, Field office- Los Angeles

Sep 3, 2007 Application Mailed

Sep 12, 2007 - Priority date

Nov 9,2007 - check cashed

Nov 20,2007 - NOA1: "expect to be notified within 425 days of this notice",

Jan 10, 2008 - fingerprints appointment (letter lost due to mailing address receipted incorrectly)

Feb 7, 2008 - fingerprints done (took about 10 min - as a walk-in)

Sept 8, 2008 - Interview date (letter received Jul 18) - rescheduled at my request

Jan 6, 2009 - Interview date

Feb 26, 2009 - Citizenship Oath

*online status "case received Oct 29", no touches showing.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.