amysaid

Shipping to Egypt... How'd you do it?

24 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

So, I finally got all of the I-134 stuff together for Ahmed to mail off, I just need to get it to him now. Which shipping methods have you used to get things to your SO? I was going to send it USPS Priority, but I am kind of afraid of all of these important documents getting lost in the Egyptian postal system, and International Priority doesn't have any tracking, signature confirmation, or anything like that. So I decided I'd send it Express, but apparently USPS does not do Express mail to Giza. DHL, FedEx and UPS all want about $80 for any size package, even just an envelope.

So, which method did you use, how long did it take, and did it make it there unscathed?

Thanks!

Amy

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I sent mine off to my SO about 2 weeks ago ad I used Fedex. It had tracking and made it in about 6 days, but was told it wouldn't for about 10 days. The envelope I sent was about 2" thick and it cost me $149.00 to send it. So, if Fedex will do it for you for $80.00.. that's a steal.

IMO.. never use the postal service to send anything. I have sent my SO 3 letters with delivery confirmation and filled out the waybill form, he has never seen those letters. I trust Fedex and they're the only ones I would use. Good luck.

*Jolie *

4/23/07 - Met on WoW Game..

11/25/07 - Engaged..

1/16/08 - 1st Visit..

2/28/08 - 2nd Visit..

6/03/08 - 3rd Visit..

9/10/08 - 4th Visit..

7/14/08 - Sent off I-129

1/08/08 - NOA 1

1/18/09 - RFE

1/30/09 - NOA2

???? - 45 Days of AP at NVC

03/15/09 - Left NVC

03/26/09 - Received pct. 3

05/06/09 - sent pkt back.

05/08/09 - Received pkt. 4

05/12/09 - Interview

07/24/09 - Out of AP

07/30/09 - Sent passport to Embassy.

08/15/09 - Received Passport with Visa.

08/18/09 - POE: Atlanta. It went very smooth, no problems at all. In and out in 30 minutes.

10/05/09 - Sent AOS/EAD

10/19/09 - Rec'd NOA

11/05/09 - Transferred to C.S.C.

11/10/09 - Biometrics - Cancelled waiting for new appt.

12/21/09 - Biometrics - Went well with no problems.

12/31/09 - EAD Card received.

02/16/10 - Transferred to Lee's Sumit, Mo

03/04/10 - Recieved AOS Interview letter.

04/07/10 - A.O.S. Interview - Approved. Very easy interview.

04-26-10 - 2Yr. Green card Received.

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

I used the USPS with no problem. I think it cost about $20. I never was able to use the tracking # for some reason, but it got to Alexandria just fine I sent it to my MIL's flat, not even a PO Box.....

There is also DHL but they are more expensive than Fed Ex. Packages coming here from Egypt when sent through the Egyptian Postal Service get delivered here by Fed Ex. He saved a bundle sending me documents that way... Government Post Office Price, Fed Ex Service... such a deal...

Good luck!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline
I sent mine off to my SO about 2 weeks ago ad I used Fedex. It had tracking and made it in about 6 days, but was told it wouldn't for about 10 days. The envelope I sent was about 2" thick and it cost me $149.00 to send it. So, if Fedex will do it for you for $80.00.. that's a steal.

IMO.. never use the postal service to send anything. I have sent my SO 3 letters with delivery confirmation and filled out the waybill form, he has never seen those letters. I trust Fedex and they're the only ones I would use. Good luck.

OMG, $149? Really? I was just using the online FedEx estimator thing for a 2lb box. Now I'm nervous, because I sooo cannot afford that right now.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Nothing I send to Waleed by USPS reaches him in Egypt. I don't know what the problem is. If it's the address or the spelling but it's what he gave me? Even the packet 3 from the Embassy for the K3 which they said they sent to him on April 6th this year never reached him.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Im with Olivia, I have mailed photos,cds ect. to my husbands apt. house and arrives usually 2-3 weeks later, I recently sent our 1yr. anniversary card and photo book to his family house now 3 weeks ago usps and still no site of it. My friend has also mailed cards ect. and never arrived in Egypt. She has in the last 2 weeks sent documents for emabassy with DHL to her husband and the cost was around 80.00 and it arrived in 5 days. So in Egypt who knows, I guess it can be the case of who ever is doing the mail and how well there english and translations are. I wouldn't count on usps for anything of importance. Good Luck.

I've used express mail but I also mailed it to a P.O. Box. I believe it took about 6 days. Whenever I mailed it by snail mail, it took about a month. It's amazing, we can get a man on the moon in shorter time than a letter to the middle east :unsure:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

** Yes, it cost me $149.00 for a 2lb. package. I had read on here off and on about shipping to Egypt and one payed close to $180.00, I think. I didn't have the money either, but it had personal info of mine and my dads and I felt safe sending by Fedex. After the experience with USPS... I was on pins and needles until he told me had the package.

*Jolie *

4/23/07 - Met on WoW Game..

11/25/07 - Engaged..

1/16/08 - 1st Visit..

2/28/08 - 2nd Visit..

6/03/08 - 3rd Visit..

9/10/08 - 4th Visit..

7/14/08 - Sent off I-129

1/08/08 - NOA 1

1/18/09 - RFE

1/30/09 - NOA2

???? - 45 Days of AP at NVC

03/15/09 - Left NVC

03/26/09 - Received pct. 3

05/06/09 - sent pkt back.

05/08/09 - Received pkt. 4

05/12/09 - Interview

07/24/09 - Out of AP

07/30/09 - Sent passport to Embassy.

08/15/09 - Received Passport with Visa.

08/18/09 - POE: Atlanta. It went very smooth, no problems at all. In and out in 30 minutes.

10/05/09 - Sent AOS/EAD

10/19/09 - Rec'd NOA

11/05/09 - Transferred to C.S.C.

11/10/09 - Biometrics - Cancelled waiting for new appt.

12/21/09 - Biometrics - Went well with no problems.

12/31/09 - EAD Card received.

02/16/10 - Transferred to Lee's Sumit, Mo

03/04/10 - Recieved AOS Interview letter.

04/07/10 - A.O.S. Interview - Approved. Very easy interview.

04-26-10 - 2Yr. Green card Received.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

USPS works just fine for us, John has been using it to send letters to me since last August and they always reach to my mail box (usually takes around two weeks to reach Cairo...). Egyptian Post offices delay the mail though, they keep

(regular) packages around a week in Cairo just to deliver them, we had that done to us and it was very frustrating. we now use Express Mail it's not too expensive, well I just two letters and a few photos from him today in the mail and I found the price on the envelope was just $12.50 and it reached in 6 days. Consider express mail it is good and it is affordable. You can try sending a regular letter through it before sending the papers and see how it goes. Good luck!!

ROC Timeline

8/1/12: ROC window opens
9/4/12: ROC packet sent
9/8/12: ROC packet delivered to VSC
9/12/12: Check cashed
9/14/12: NOA letter received (NOA dated 9/10/12)
9/20/12: Biometrics letter received (Bio appointment 10/15/12)
10/12/12: Early biometrics walk-in

4/27/13: RFE received

6/17/13: RFE response sent

7/1/13: ROC petition approved

7/5/13: GC received in the mail.

Filed: Timeline
USPS works just fine for us, John has been using it to send letters to me since last August and they always reach to my mail box (usually takes around two weeks to reach Cairo...). Egyptian Post offices delay the mail though, they keep

(regular) packages around a week in Cairo just to deliver them, we had that done to us and it was very frustrating. we now use Express Mail it's not too expensive, well I just two letters and a few photos from him today in the mail and I found the price on the envelope was just $12.50 and it reached in 6 days. Consider express mail it is good and it is affordable. You can try sending a regular letter through it before sending the papers and see how it goes. Good luck!!

:thumbs:

Yes, USPS Express...thats the ticket.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

:thumbs:

Yes, USPS Express...thats the ticket.

Oh I forgot to say that envelops DO have tracking numbers too and you and your spouse can check where it is by following it on the USPS website. Here's the link of USPS Express Mail and below it the link of Tracking letters/packages:

USPS Express Mail

Tracking Letters and Packages

ROC Timeline

8/1/12: ROC window opens
9/4/12: ROC packet sent
9/8/12: ROC packet delivered to VSC
9/12/12: Check cashed
9/14/12: NOA letter received (NOA dated 9/10/12)
9/20/12: Biometrics letter received (Bio appointment 10/15/12)
10/12/12: Early biometrics walk-in

4/27/13: RFE received

6/17/13: RFE response sent

7/1/13: ROC petition approved

7/5/13: GC received in the mail.

Timeline

When I went to Egypt I sent postcards from Hurghada, and I think later Cairo. My friends all said they got them! It was through their postal service 150 LE and it took a month. Waleed wrote Arabic on them and I wrote the English so we made sure my friends all got them.

Edited by ~Flower~

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Timeline

I also sent postcards from Hurghada when I was there last month. I sent it on April 1 and it didn't leave Egypt until the 14th. As for sending mail visa USPS, my husband has recieved one letter from me out of the six I have tried to send from 2007 until just two weeks ago. I shouldn't learned my lesson the first five times, but I like to test it to see if anything will change and plus if Ahmed get's it, it'll be a nice supprise for both of us. Anyhow, what's strange though is anything I send to my family (they all live in Alex), they get it via USPS. Ahh, that's the joys of Egypt, I suppose!

Blessed are the heart that can bend, they can never be broken - Albert Camus

Any comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished in any way without express written permission from 100% Al Ahly Fan.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.