visaveteran

Russian wife wants to get a job...but what is available?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

My wife, who has been with me here in the US for 10 months, wants to work. She does have her green card and SSN. Her English skills are improving but still not quite intermediate level. She's taking ESL classes regularly.

She would like to earn some income now and we have been discussing possibilities. One option is to have her tutor people in the Russian language. So, I'm wondering what other Russian wives are doing to earn income and do any tutor people in Russian? Or do translation?

I'd appreciate hearing any ideas of ways to make money with limited English skills. Part-time work is probably best for now as she continues to study English.

Thanks.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Tutoring is a viable option... use craigslist to advertise in the area and keep the prices reasonable.

Translation will not work since her English would need to be advanced to warrant earning money for official translations...

Other than that what is her skillset? that makes a difference as to her options

Have her work in a restaurant, at the mall, at the grocery store or something like that. Somewhere that she'll be interacting (in English) with customers on a daily basis. When my wife first started working she worked in a short-order sandwich shop and her English improved rather quickly. Now, she's working at a chicken wings and beer joint and her English has improved dramatically since she's talking to people all day.

Tutoring is going to help her, but not like immersion into the real job market would.

If it's a case of she's bored and wants to make a little money on the side, cosmetics counter girl or stocking associate at one of the nice shops in the mall is the perfect post. If she wants to make some real money, and improve her skills quickly, she should be a waitress somewhere.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

My wife sat around for a while too when she moved here. She got a job in a retaurant really close to our house since she had experience in waitressing. Her English skills improved dramatically in a very short time. She knew very little English when she got here. She is pretty good at learning languages. English is her fourth language. I can barely speak one correctly. :star:

Filed: Timeline

If she wants to tutor; and you live in a college town --- tell her to reach the Department in the University or college that teaches Russian. That is the best place for her to get experience tutoring. Also, if there are other jobs at the same Department, her language skills would give her an edge.

what other skills does she have?

Timeline

My wife works with me but if not, I know she would go bonkers without a job as she does not like being alone at home.

Some others here have offered some good suggestions, I know of at least one woman from Ukraine... whose english is so-so, she works at a Child care place, the pay is small and interaction is not as good as working retail but it's a possibility if she likes kids.

My Daughter put herself through School doing Nanny work. She is getting like 12-13 and hour to basically baby sit.

There are websites you can sign up on that give your info to families interested but you can also look on Craigslist.org

In fact she might want to comb through the many local jobs posted there.

Good luck!

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Timeline

My wife wants to work but so far cannot find anything.

She is extremely intelligent and fluent in English (she was an English teacher), but so far she fills out applications and hears nothing.

She has applied for her Florida teaching certificate, but of course, Florida is cutting teachers now (after hiring 1,000 every year in previous years). :angry:

but so far she fills out applications and hears nothing.

What kind of applications has she been filling out? We went to several shops, stores, restaurants, etc. before someone finally called my wife back. That first one was a hard nut to crack. I think they're kind of apprehensive to hire someone for the "first job in the U.S."

If anything, have her start somewhere super easy like the video store or something. Just something to get her feet wet and to put on the next application. When they see she had experience somewhere, they'll be more apt to hire her for a better job.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Timeline
My wife wants to work but so far cannot find anything.

She is extremely intelligent and fluent in English (she was an English teacher), but so far she fills out applications and hears nothing.

She has applied for her Florida teaching certificate, but of course, Florida is cutting teachers now (after hiring 1,000 every year in previous years). :angry:

BTalley: Unless you really need the income RIGHT now. Have her volunteer at a job. Red Cross, Salavation Army, local hospital, something. Charities are always looking for volunteers, especially in tough economic times. They will be happy to have a hard worker. And she will get experience in a office setting and see what it is like to work for an American company. The volunteer work can be made to look like a job with regards to experience. In the interim keep looking for a paying job, stating you are doing volunteer work now and are looking for something permanent. Most charities will be happy to give you a good recommendation.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline
but so far she fills out applications and hears nothing.

What kind of applications has she been filling out? We went to several shops, stores, restaurants, etc. before someone finally called my wife back. That first one was a hard nut to crack. I think they're kind of apprehensive to hire someone for the "first job in the U.S."

If anything, have her start somewhere super easy like the video store or something. Just something to get her feet wet and to put on the next application. When they see she had experience somewhere, they'll be more apt to hire her for a better job.

Right now they're apprehensive to hire anybody. Most places that would be an option for a "first job in the US" are cutting jobs. I guess restaurants and fast food places are still an option, but stores? Good luck.

Probably you're better off looking online at chain stores which accept applications electronically, because then you can type in your zip code and they'll show you the stores that are hiring and what positions are open, so at least she's applying for a job that still exists and needs to be filled.

Edited by eekee

Первый блин комом.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.