Cindo and Joe

Canada Visitor Visa Extensions.... Do I need one?

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

November 28th, 2008 - I came to Montreal, Canada on a Greyhound

January 12th 2009 - Crossed the border to the U.S. on a bus for Bruins/Canadiens game in Boston

January 14th 2009 - Came back to Montreal, Canada

March 21st 2009 - Flew from Montreal, Canada to Cancun, Mexico for vacation

March 28th 2009 - Flew back to Montreal, Canada

Currently still here and very confused as to when my visitor visa expires!

I've heard from some that it automatically renews on the new year, heard from others that it renews immediatley when leaving the country, heard from others it lasts 6 months regardless of the year, etc. etc.

I've looked into filing an extension on the visitor visa and the process seems VERY easy. I just don't know if i'm required to do so at this point? I would just like to have some more time to figure out where and when we would like to get married.

Also noticed on the Visitor Visa Extension form there is an area that asks how much longer I'm requesting to stay for.... what is the longest I can ask for!?

It also asks what my reasons are for extending... are there any reasons that would make them reject the extension?

Also asking how much money I have access to.... what is required???

10/20/2008 We met in Portugal!

11/26/2008 Came to Canada

05/05/2009 Still learning visa process...considering CR-1 to the states or staying here in Canada.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm confused - are you a USC or Canadian? Do you want a visitors visa extension for Canada or the US?

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Other Timeline

For information about Canadian Immigration policies see http://roadtocanada.com

This site is for US immigration.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline
For information about Canadian Immigration policies see http://roadtocanada.com

This site is for US immigration.

I am trying to figure out whether or not we are going to be immigrating to the U.S., and from what it seems there are people in here that probably know the answer to this question. Going on Road To Canada as well... thanks! :)

I'm confused - are you a USC or Canadian? Do you want a visitors visa extension for Canada or the US?

My mistake for not posting that. I am a U.S. Citizen, wondering if I need a Canadian visitor visa extension.

05/05/2009 Still learning visa process...considering CR-1 to the states or staying here in Canada.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes you need to apply for a visitor visa extention. Go here for more information and the forms needed to apply. It costs $75

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Timeline
Are you on a visitor "visa" or "record"?

I have no idea.... how would I know that? I'm just a U.S. citizen who entered the country by bus, and have left the country a couple times since being here.

Currently, you have neither. Americans do not need a visa to visit Canada, and only have a visitor "record" if you specifically ask for it at the POE when you enter.

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline
Currently, you have neither. Americans do not need a visa to visit Canada, and only have a visitor "record" if you specifically ask for it at the POE when you enter.

Thank you Reba! This is what i've been trying to figure out! They didn't even stamp my passport when I flew back into Canada from our trip to Cancun.

Now that I know this- what worries or steps should I take in order to be sure not to get into any trouble with overstaying? We just need more time to figure out where we want to get married, and where we will end up living. It's either Montreal or Los Angeles!

I have applied for an extension twice. However I was going through Canadian immigration at the time so had a good reason to ask for the extension. I will answer some of your questions on what I went through and what some people I know who also applied.

1. I've looked into filing an extension on the visitor visa and the process seems VERY easy. I just don't know if i'm required to do so at this point? I would just like to have some more time to figure out where and when we would like to get married.

It is easy if you have a good reason. I don't think they will take that you don't know where you want to live as a good enough reason. I've seen people denied who had intent to send in immigration paperwork but took too long. So you will need a good reason to stay.

2. lso noticed on the Visitor Visa Extension form there is an area that asks how much longer I'm requesting to stay for.... what is the longest I can ask for!?

In Canada it is commonly called a Visitor Visa but it is actually not a visa but an extension. You can ask for a year but it is very rare that they give a year. I got a year on my second request and got my residency 6 weeks later....I think that was their version of a joke. The common time they give is 6 months. This also in no way will get you back into Canada if you leave the country.

3. It also asks what my reasons are for extending... are there any reasons that would make them reject the extension?

Again you need a good reason for this. Yes they can reject it and will if they think for any reason you don't intend to go home or if you are not

going to start the immigration process.

4. Also asking how much money I have access to.... what is required???

Yes this is required because they want to know 1. can you support yourself if they allow you to stay in Canada for a longer period. 2. If they do deny your request they want to know you have the money to leave the country ASAP.

I hope this helps a bit. It has been a few years since i've applied for an extension but this is what I went through. I was a member of a Canadian Immigration group and saw a lot of people denied extensions and I saw a lot of people approved.

03/29/2003 Our wedding in Canada

04/30/2004 I became a Permanant Resident of Canada!

IR-1/DCF

09/19/2006 Filed I-130

09/19/2006 I-130 approved!

10/05/2006 Packet 3 arrived with approval letter.

10/19/2006 Sent Packet 3 back to Montreal

10/20/2006 Montreal receives Packet 3

01/23/2007 Everything currently on hold due to Adam Walsh Act :(

03/14/2007 E-mail from Montreal saying i'm clear from USCIS on Adam Walsh Act

03/22/2007 Got e-mail from Montreal that interview is May 22nd!

05/15/2007 Finally received interview letter

05/22/2007 Approved!!!!

05/28/2007 Visa arrived!!!

05/31/2007 Big move to the US

06/12/2007 SSN arrived

06/22/2007 Welcome letter arrived

06/28/2007 10 year Green Card arrived!!!

N-400

05/31/2010 Eligible to apply for citizenship

Timeline

Ok great, thanks Tracy! I'm getting a lot more responses on this message board for this topic than I am over at RoadToCanada.com!

I plan to fill out the extension application tomorrow, but still need to know:

Do you guys think it would be safe to say that my reason for needing an extension is that I have met a girlfriend here and we are currently in the process of planning our wedding here in Canada for August/September? (That is the truth).

I would like to have the extension regardless if we decide to stay here or move to the U.S.

Also i've checked processing times for the extensions and they are currently at 90 days. Some say chances are you won't even get the response back from the government until 180 days, (however I don't have to leave the country before I get the response). If this is true, by the time they would even be able to reject my extension I would have been given enough time to figure out what we need to do.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Ok great, thanks Tracy! I'm getting a lot more responses on this message board for this topic than I am over at RoadToCanada.com!

I plan to fill out the extension application tomorrow, but still need to know:

Do you guys think it would be safe to say that my reason for needing an extension is that I have met a girlfriend here and we are currently in the process of planning our wedding here in Canada for August/September? (That is the truth).

I would like to have the extension regardless if we decide to stay here or move to the U.S.

Also i've checked processing times for the extensions and they are currently at 90 days. Some say chances are you won't even get the response back from the government until 180 days, (however I don't have to leave the country before I get the response). If this is true, by the time they would even be able to reject my extension I would have been given enough time to figure out what we need to do.

If you live close to the border you can save yourself the $75 and do what the US border patrol calls "flag poling it". I thought the name was amusing too! Bring your girlfriend along and your passport. You essentially drive through the US border then back through the Canadian border. The Canadian border patrol we dealt with was very friendly and took the required information needed and granted my husband a year extension. (Mind you we had our marriage certificate and told him we had the intent to immigrate) The standard is six months however.

If you do apply for an extension they request you do it 60 days before the visa expires. (Although US citizens do not get a visa to visit the standard time is six months since date of entry.) In the event you have not received a reply from them you visa is temporarily extended until you hear from them. If in the end you receive a no response you will be required to leave the country. This however does not mean you cannot try to come back.

The Canadian immigration site and walk through's I've read are about as clear as the red river. I understand your pain. =P

Helen Keller: “A happy life consists not in the absence, but in the mastery of hardships.”

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
what the US border patrol calls "flag poling it".

I always wondered if people did that and if so, what would they call it??!!

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Timeline

Well, this was the response I got over at RoadToCanada....and it makes sense based upon my unique entries/exits. If anyone has the time to read it, I would appreciate. Thanks!

It seems way too soon to be filing for any extension of your current status. Foremost, your current time to stay in Canada appears to be six months from March 28th, or until late September (27th or 28th; not sure how the "six months work -- I never cut it that close). That is, unless they specifically gave you an earlier must leave by date (and then that is what controls) upon your last entry. Again, it looks like you can stay here until late September on your current status.

If so, technically you should apply for the extension 30 days prior to that date (so late August), but practically so long as you apply prior to, say, September 25th (be certain to use a courier service, sent in time to deliver by that date, and keep the record of that so that you have something to show implied status until you receive a decision), you are okay.

If (or when) you leave prior to that date, how long you can stay in Canada on your next trip will be either six months from the date you then enter, or the specific date they give you if they give you a VR at the border (VRs can be brief, a couple months, and as jonesg11 and others have reported, up to a year).

If you apply for or receive an extension of your current status, and you leave, the extension will be of no effect. A VR does not authorize re-entry. You leave, it has no official effect. (It is in your record and will pop up on their computer when your name is put in, such as any time you attempt to enter Canada after that, and may influence how they process you, which could be either positive or negative depending on a lot of other factors.)

In particular, then, if you have never been given a Visitor's Record (VR), applying for one now (if an extension is granted, that's what they give you, a Visitor's Record) will put you into the system with notations about the VR that will come up every time your name is put into the computer upon seeking entry to Canada. Forever, unless it is archived (which it usually is not, as I understand it).

You can ask for any period of time. Again, what they give varies. I asked for a year once, got about additional seven months. We were married at the time but had not yet submitted the application for PR.

Unless you are anticipating some reason why they will not allow you to re-enter if you leave (and any reason for that may also be a reason to deny an extension of visitor status), practically the best way to get more time is to leave and come back -- it is not that an American's status automatically renews for six months upon leaving, it is that unless they specify some other time period, an American is allowed to stay/visit (no work, no school, etc.) for six months from the date of entry, no matter how often or for how long the American has previously visited Canada (though the latter may affect what they do at the border, ranging from admonitions to allowing less time or even refusing entry if they believe you are "living" in Canada).

Your idea of the reasons for seeking the extension are sketchy, but the reports (for Americans) seem to indicate it is pretty easy to get a first extension up to a total time of one year (that is, an additional six months) so long as there is sufficient showing of (1) means of support while in Canada, (2) means of transport home to the States, and (3) no hint of an intent to "live" in Canada or work in Canada.

I'll say again, ask over at www.roadtocanada.com There are folks there MUCH more experienced with the intricacies of Canadian Immigration and visitor records. Most of them have gone thru it already. Canuck Abroad is for Canadians travelling elsehwhere in the world, and Visa Journey is for people immigrating to the US, not Canada.

Just a suggestion. ;)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.