michellek1976

Which is quicker I-129F or I-130 DCF?

23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hello all,

Up until last night I had never heard of DCF. Someone was kind enough to send me an email and suggest I look at this process.

Our I-129F was received by CSC on 15 March. We were optimistic (and niaive) to think that our application would be smooth sailing and I would be arriving in US with my daughter to start the school year. HAHA

With the IMBRA laws putting the breaks on all applications we wait in limbo. Could it be just a couple more weeks, months, or more?

I'm travelling back to the US in a couple of weeks for a quick visit. Perhaps we could get married in Vegas and abandon the I-129F application for the I-130 DCF.

Is the DCF process really as quick and painless as it sounds? Seems too good to be true.

Would be grateful for any advice, suggestions, past experiences to help us decide what route to travel now.

Thanks

if you can do dcf than i would, its faster. This imbra limbra is goign to take some time

Aapki Nazroan Ne Samjha, Pyaar Ke Kabil Mujhe

Dil Ki Ai Dharkan Thaher Ja, Mil Gayee Manzil Mujhe

I-130 Process

01-29-2006 | Marriage

02-13-2006 | Mailed to NSC

02-27-2006 | NOA1

06-15-2006 | I-130 Approved

I-129F Process

03-08-2006 | Mailed to CHICAGO LOCKBOX

03-13-2006 | NOA1

07-31-2006 | I-129F Approved

09-01-2006 | K3 Interview, Visa Approved

09-14-2006 | Passport recieved from Consulate

01-23-2007 | POE at Chicago

AOS process

07-25-2007 | Mailed to CHICAGO LOCKBOX

08-30-2007 | NOA1

09-07-2007 | Biometrics Appointment

01-28-2008 | AOS interview-More evidence requested

02-07-2008 | AOS approved

02-19-2008 | Recieved Green Card in mail

michellek1976

DCF in Australia is as easy as. There has been some changes to how DCF is done here but it is still the easiest and quickest way to be reunited. There is no residency requirements of the USC in Australia in order to file. Once approved and granted there is no adjustment of status in the US, as one is granted a conditional green card on entry.

Read HERE about the changes to DCF in Australia.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Timeline

Thanks for your advice. Still cautious about abandoning the I-129F process. Just our luck that will get approved the day after we get married.

Kicking myself I didn't read about this earlier.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

DCF in Australia is soooo wonderful. i'm telling you...three months to our visa...and it could have been shorter could I have made it to Oz sooner!!

With IMBRA...you have no idea WHEN you'll get through all this...I think fall is optimistic!

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

Thanks for your advice. Still cautious about abandoning the I-129F process. Just our luck that will get approved the day after we get married.

Kicking myself I didn't read about this earlier.

Regardless. The whole DCF process in australia can be completed from start to finish in a matter of a couple of months or less. 'Mellie' and her now hubby Scott abandoned their K-1 (admittedly their petition got lost) and did DCF and never regretted it. Read up more on it over the next couple of days before making a decision. There is many benefits to it considering it is for the green card with nothing else to do for almost 2 years after entry and one can work straight away etc.

All the best to you in what ever you decide.

Lorelle

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Timeline

Thanks Karo for the initial suggestion and thanks Lorelle for your advice.

I guess we've got the next 3 weeks to see if there is any activity on our I-129F case and if not we'll be off to Vegas!

Just can't believe I had never heard of it - I thought I'd read EVERYTHING there was to read about immigration!

Just have to tell my fiance he needs more vacation time to hand in the form. Damn shame we can't file in Sydney anymore - the Syd-Perth trip is the last thing you need after crossing the Pacific.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

No worries! I knew nothing about it either and someone PM'ed me to tell me about it. Best thing that ever happened to me!

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I-130 DCF is absolutely faster than I-129f if your goal is Permanent Resident status; the I-129f route can take up to 4 years.

I think the further you look into this, especially with the addition of a child in the mix, you'll find DCF to be The Way to go.

Good Luck!

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

I was in a similiar situation and went ahead and did the DCF. So glad we did. Entire process from date of first interview to obtaining the Visa was less than 1.5 months. My husband arrives in the US tomorrow night!!!

Hi michelle1976

You may have seen that I'm about to start the DCF process in Australia -- sounds like a great option for you too, so hope you can make it work!

30 June 2006 - received packet 3 from Sydney Consulate to do DCF

July 2006 - discover Sydney are changing their DCF process

8 September 2006 - have fingerprints taken, post police check form to AFP

12 September 2006 - medical

21 September 2006 - receive police check from AFP

23 September 2006 - wedding day!

12 October 2006 - hubby files I-130 in Sydney during Thursday walk-in (and I-864). I file DS-230 parts 1 and 2, and DS-2001.

31 October 2006 - interview date... and I'm approved!

1 November 2006 - pick-up visa from Sydney Consulate

14 November 2006 - arrive in the US!

22 November 2006 - greencard arrives in mail

24 November 2006 - social security card and welcome letter arrive

I just want to add- do DCF if at all possible!! My husband and I did DCF in Australia, back in December. Our case only took 2 and a half weeks to process, from start to finish. You're lucky to be able to go through one of the quickest routes, definitely take advantage of that if you can. It's better than waiting on the I-129 for what feels like an eternity and then once you enter the country and get married, having to go through adjustment of status. Make it simple on yourself and good luck! :)

Timeline

I'm in the same boat atm. My fiance sent in the I-129F mid-May in the hopes we would be finished by end of year. It's not looking too good with all the IMBRA stuff going on, so I had a look at DCF.

I'll be heading over to see him July 21st for 2 weeks, and am considering taking the DCF route as it seems quicker. I suggested we have a quickie wedding in California when I arrive, and he could come back with me to Australia and file early August in Melbourne (I'm from Adelaide). Upon speaking with the consulate though, my mother (I couldn't call as at work) was told that DCF takes just as long as the I-129F... I was under the impression that without all the Service Centre/NVC it would be a faster option.

How long does the consulate/embassy take to approve I-130's from USC? and what sort of timeline am I looking at for being able to go over and live with him? I've read that packet 3 can no longer be sent out to the beneficiary before I-130 is lodged, so it will take a bit longer than it used to. What type of wait time is there on interviews for the Aus citizen once the checklist has been received back by the consulate?

Also is there any sort of time limit on how long you need to be married before you can file? We'll have only been married for 2 weeks when he lodges the application if we decide DCF is the way to go.

Thanks

Timeline

HI Alli,

Its like you're telling my story! I'm going to LA on 18 July for 3 weeks. Seriously considering getting married whilst there and husband coming back here to file. From what all aussies are telling me it is very quick - but I'm nervous that with new filing rules Perth consulate may not be experienced with them and we hit obstacles. My I-129F was filed mid-March so we're hoping that the IMBRA RFE will come out soon. If you filed later in May perhaps you've not got as much to time invested to risk. Also concerned that we may look like we're trying to dodge the IMBRA questions and that may raise a red flag.

I'm as confused as you!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.