persiankitty

Citizenship Interview

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I applied for the naturalization based on 3 year marriage with a USC, but unfortunately we broke up and after breaking up I've moved to a different state, thinking that I will apply for naturalization again after 2 years based on 5 years as the permanent resident. My questions are

1) What will happen when I do not show up for my interview, can I still apply for the naturalization after 5 years?

2) Is not showing up for the interview is going to effect my future eligibility of applying?

3) Do I need to be divorced in order to apply for naturalization based on 5 years of LPR, cause I don't want to be bother with the hassle of divorce as I've decided to never get married in my life.

I applied for the naturalization based on 3 year marriage with a USC, but unfortunately we broke up and after breaking up I've moved to a different state, thinking that I will apply for naturalization again after 2 years based on 5 years as the permanent resident. My questions are

1) What will happen when I do not show up for my interview, can I still apply for the naturalization after 5 years?

If you miss your scheduled interview without notifying USCIS, we will "administratively close" your case. Unless you contact USCIS to schedule a new interview within 1 year after USCIS closes your case, we will deny your application. USCIS will NOT notify you if we close your case because you missed your interview

2) Is not showing up for the interview is going to effect my future eligibility of applying?

20. What can I do if USCIS denies my application?

There is an administrative review process for those who are denied naturalization. If you feel that you have been wrongly denied naturalization, you may request a hearing with an immigration officer. Your denial letter will explain how to request a hearing and will include the form you need. The form for filing an appeal is the "Request for Hearing on a Decision in Naturalization Proceedings under Section 336 of the Act" (Form N-336).

21. Can I reapply for naturalization if USCIS denies my application?

In many cases, you may reapply. If you reapply, you will need to complete and resubmit a new N-400 and pay the fee again. You will also need to have your fingerprints and photographs taken again. If your application is denied, the denial letter should indicate the date you may reapply for citizenship. If you are denied because you failed the English or civics test, you may reapply for naturalization as soon as you want. You should reapply whenever you believe you have learned enough English or civics to pass the test.

3) Do I need to be divorced in order to apply for naturalization based on 5 years of LPR, cause I don't want to be bother with the hassle of divorce as I've decided to never get married in my life.

I haven't seen anything that said you have to be, but I don't recommend not getting divorced - it may cause some issues later in your life (or the other persons life), and who knows, you may change your mind later. Easier to do it now then later...

So, I would cancel my appointment now, get a divorce, wait till you hit 5 years, and apply again. (oh - since you moved - you filled out the AR-11, right?)

IMO. :thumbs:

Edited by Bobby_Umit

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Keep in mind - if you came on K1 or K3 visas, your initial immigration was based on marriage to a USC and they may question you about it. Search the forums here - I have read about it. Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.