TracyTN

'Chip' on credit cards?

31 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Another little travel tip is that on some train operating companies you can spend dollars, especially South West Trains. This never used to happen but when they installed there new equipment it had the know how to do it. Also you can use your credit cards over here, most stores have manual override. Some shops, especially small independent shops do not have this, but overall most do.

Janice

3dflagsdotcom_us_wa_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_ukeng_2fawm.gif

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah so it sounds like if we play the 'desperate tourist' card, we'll be okay (in the larger shops). :lol: Well, I'll definitely let you all know what experiences I have this time over. But I'm still going to take a wad of cash too. :)

SA4userbar.jpg

I think the larger shops and major tourist areas will always take your card. It would silly not to take them as they'd be turning down business everywhere. It's good that the UK are finally battling down on the credit card fraud issue, but to alienate tourists in the meantime would be a mighty fine mistake. By the way, I've never had any trouble using my US cards in the UK this year. Mostly in M&S and large chains though ;)

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Tracy--just be careful (I sound like my mom *rolls eyes*). They were talking on the radio the other day about people who had their wallet and cash on one side of the SECURITY CHECKPOINT and didn't have it on the other side. I'd put your cash in your jeans pocket!

You can't even trust the people in security!!!

Hold on to what is good even if it is a handful of earth.

Hold on to what you believe even if it is a tree which stands by itself.

Hold on to what you must do even if it is a long way from here.

Hold on to life even when it is easier letting go.

Hold on to my hand even when I have gone away from you.

--Pueblo Blessing

ticker.png

ticker.png

Tracy--just be careful (I sound like my mom *rolls eyes*). They were talking on the radio the other day about people who had their wallet and cash on one side of the SECURITY CHECKPOINT and didn't have it on the other side. I'd put your cash in your jeans pocket!

You can't even trust the people in security!!!

Yes, very good idea. Paper money won't make the security beeper go off! :)

SA4userbar.jpg

Last 2 trips i had the same problem, found that some shops took the card while others refused it.

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif3dflagsdotcom_uk_2faws.gif

K-1 Sent to Vermont St Patrick's Day~ May the Luck of the Irish Be With Us Today!! 3/17/06

NOA1 03-25-06

Touch 06-16-06=RFE Email

Touch 06-17-06

RFE Arrived 06-21-06

RFE Sent back to Vermont 06-21-06

RFE Delivered 06/23/06 10:55am

RFE-Touch 06/24/06

Touch 06/27/06

Approved 08/21/06 {157 days)

Touch 08/22/06

NVC Letter 08-25-06 Hard Copy

Left NVC 08-25-06

Arrived at London 09-01-06

Packet 3 Arrived at Steves Door 09-05-06

Packet 3 Sent back to London 09-15-06

London Medical 09-29-06- Completed

Packet 4 11-20-06

Londen Interview 12-08-06 APPROVED

Visa in Hand 12-12-06

Enters the USA 12-13-06

WEDDING DAY 2/18/07 @ 3pm

Time for me to chirp in here :) I can certifiably tell you that all the retailer that you went into Tracey was talking rubbish! I worked part-time for WHSmith over here and this was only last month and I took loads of foreign cards as methods of payment by swiping them and I never had to refuse them. If the stores you go into(certainly the bigger ones)have a decent chip and pin system and they tried to swipe your card, it would go through without any problem. The chip and pin terminals are connected to a main terminal which still have the swipe bits on the side and the machines know if the card that is being swiped is a Chip and Pin card or not. The weird thing about all of this is that I still see some retailers try to swipe my Chip and Pin card and then they obviously see a message on the terminal which says insert the card into the Chip terminal! They might as well just do that anyway, its just a waste of time swiping them :lol:

I would strongly advise you NOT to carry large amounts of cash with you, you are just asking to be mugged :( The best thing to do is get UK Sterling travellers cheque. I think that American Express now do a Travellers cheque card in the US(they do over here)and it allows you to charge the card with any amount of money and it works like you have a credit card, except that you know how much is on there and when the money runs out that's it. It can be re-charged really easily on the internet or on the phone. I got one when my wife and I went to the US last month to get my Visa stamped and it was so easy to use(much easier than carrying Travellers Cheques). The best thing is that the money on the card that isn't used stays on there for a very long time, so you don't have to worry about using it.

Anthony & Caitlin's Visa Journey

======================

Oct 2001 - Met on an internet dating website

10/21/2001 - Met in person for the first time in London!

Nov 2002 - Anthony & Caitlin get engaged in London!

03/20/2003 - Anthony & Caitlin get married in the UK :)

04/30/2005 - I-130 completed and sent off

05/03/2005 - Forgot to send it Marriage certificate, sent by post!

05/09/2005 - London Embassy notifies us of receipt of I-130

06/02/2005 - Pkt 3 received

08/02/2005 - Pkt 3 completed and sent back

09/30/2005 - Pkt 4 received - Interview date set for 4th November

09/09/2005 - First child is born! Baby girl named Brianna :)

Sept 2005 - Went to get up-to-date TD and MMR shots at local doctors

10/17/2005 - Medical exam in London

11/04/2005 - Interview at London Embassy - GOT THE VISA!!

04/30/2006 - First trip back to the States since getting visa - MRIV in passport stamped!

05/09/2006 - Flew back to the UK to complete sale of apartment

05/17/2006 - Received 'Welcome to the United States' letter

05/30/2006 - Green Card arrives in mail!! - Waiting for SSN now

07/10/2006 - The big move to Ohio!!

07/11/2006 - SSN doesn't arrive in mail, Anthony applies in person

07/18/2006 - Received SSN!!

08/22/2006 - Anthony gets his Ohio drivers license - journey is finally complete!!

Read my POE Experience in Newark

Thanks londonspod, although I haven't yet traveled there since the 'chipped' credit card days. Maybe you were referring to Girona40's experience with the retailer?

And yeah, obviously I'm not going to be walking central London with tons of cash in my purse. Since my fiance lives there, I will leave what I won't immediately need locked up in his flat, and just take what I'll need for the day's outing and put it in my pocket. That way, even if my purse got snatched, they wouldn't get my cash. :thumbs:

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Timeline

I was worried after reading this post as we are going home to the UK in sept.... I phoned Mastercard both in the UK and here in the States and asked about this chip and pin... they both tell me that all chip and pin termanals have the ability to read the strip on non UK credit cards and I should have no problems using my credit card in the UK... they said that when chip and pin was introduced in the UK both mastercard and visa made it that all cards from any country can be read in all machines.... it is not in there interests to exclude card users from another country....

Hope this helps

Kezzie

Thanks londonspod, although I haven't yet traveled there since the 'chipped' credit card days. Maybe you were referring to Girona40's experience with the retailer?

Oops!! :whistle: Must've got confused there :lol: Sorry about the mix up. :blush:

Anthony & Caitlin's Visa Journey

======================

Oct 2001 - Met on an internet dating website

10/21/2001 - Met in person for the first time in London!

Nov 2002 - Anthony & Caitlin get engaged in London!

03/20/2003 - Anthony & Caitlin get married in the UK :)

04/30/2005 - I-130 completed and sent off

05/03/2005 - Forgot to send it Marriage certificate, sent by post!

05/09/2005 - London Embassy notifies us of receipt of I-130

06/02/2005 - Pkt 3 received

08/02/2005 - Pkt 3 completed and sent back

09/30/2005 - Pkt 4 received - Interview date set for 4th November

09/09/2005 - First child is born! Baby girl named Brianna :)

Sept 2005 - Went to get up-to-date TD and MMR shots at local doctors

10/17/2005 - Medical exam in London

11/04/2005 - Interview at London Embassy - GOT THE VISA!!

04/30/2006 - First trip back to the States since getting visa - MRIV in passport stamped!

05/09/2006 - Flew back to the UK to complete sale of apartment

05/17/2006 - Received 'Welcome to the United States' letter

05/30/2006 - Green Card arrives in mail!! - Waiting for SSN now

07/10/2006 - The big move to Ohio!!

07/11/2006 - SSN doesn't arrive in mail, Anthony applies in person

07/18/2006 - Received SSN!!

08/22/2006 - Anthony gets his Ohio drivers license - journey is finally complete!!

Read my POE Experience in Newark

Filed: Country: England
Timeline
I would strongly advise you NOT to carry large amounts of cash with you, you are just asking to be mugged :( The best thing to do is get UK Sterling travellers cheque. I think that American Express now do a Travellers cheque card in the US(they do over here)and it allows you to charge the card with any amount of money and it works like you have a credit card, except that you know how much is on there and when the money runs out that's it. It can be re-charged really easily on the internet or on the phone. I got one when my wife and I went to the US last month to get my Visa stamped and it was so easy to use(much easier than carrying Travellers Cheques). The best thing is that the money on the card that isn't used stays on there for a very long time, so you don't have to worry about using it.

I like the cheque card idea a lot...!!! Thanks for a good idea. :thumbs:

I was worried after reading this post as we are going home to the UK in sept.... I phoned Mastercard both in the UK and here in the States and asked about this chip and pin... they both tell me that all chip and pin termanals have the ability to read the strip on non UK credit cards and I should have no problems using my credit card in the UK... they said that when chip and pin was introduced in the UK both mastercard and visa made it that all cards from any country can be read in all machines.... it is not in there interests to exclude card users from another country....

Hope this helps

Kezzie

thanks for doing some research.....was getting a bit nervous there about our trip in August...

but you are right, it is not in the interest of a retailer to turn down anyone's money, no matter who is doing the buying.

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I found the opposite problem with my UK CHIP & PIN card in the US. It spewed cash out of the ATM easily, but in shops the card was refused on every occassion that I had to swipe it. Most annoying. Shopping trolley full and not enough cash in my pockets. oooppppssssss. The future is not homogenised

Whats that you U.S.ers put on your cash?? In god we trust??

I say ...godsavethequeen, the fascist regime,

UK-Royal-Standard-HM-Queen.gif

Down With The Monarchy

Whats that you U.S.ers put on your cash?? In god we trust??

NEW WORLD ORDER

MASONIC SEAL

TINY OWL

23rd February 2005 Married.

10th May 2005 I130 packet sent to TEXAS forwarded to Cali.

12th May 2005 NOA1 Received date.

14th May 2005 delivered at 4:34 am LAGUNA NIGUEL, CA 92607.

23rd May 2005 NOA1 notice date.

27th May 2005 NOA1 hits the mailbox.

13th August 2005 po po form mailed off with £10 cheque.

2nd September 2005 po po letter arrives.

3rd September a 4 week visit to GA assuming i get allowed in.

30th september 130 days on I130 and counting.

(Hopefully i finally get a wedding ring today too)

30th November NOA2 date. woohoo

January 2006 case arrives at NVC finally(not sure about exact date)

17th February 2006 IV bill mailed back

21st April case complete (sorry i have missed some dates of forms going back and forth)

2nd May case forwarded to Embassy in London

10th July 2006 visa interview 10.30 a.m.

clyde80b.gifmeandnikki.gif

http://www.corona-baster.org

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

From http://www.chipandpin.co.uk/faqs/affect.html#affect :

I am visiting the UK as a tourist or on business and I don't have a chip and PIN card - will I be able to use it in shops?

You don't need to worry. Your cards will still be accepted in UK shops and by other businesses including hotels and restaurants. You will simply be asked to sign, just as before. The changes taking place after 14 February 2006 only apply to chip and PIN cardholders.

Are there any exceptions where people will sign after 14 February 2006?

There are some important exceptions where signature will always be accepted. These are for:

* cardholders who have old style cards and are waiting for their new chip and PIN cards;

* overseas cardholders that have cards that have not been upgraded to chip and PIN

* disabled cardholders who are unable to use PIN and have requested a chip and signature card

* for all cardholders in shops which have not upgraded to chip and PIN equipment

Edited by JAYKE

Happy

Jayke

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.