JonasMichaels

EMERGENCY! Passport has no place of issue?!?!?!

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Major problem! The DS-156 asks for Phuong's passport CITY OF ISSUE specificially. Well her passport states none, only has the name of the company that made it for her!!!!! She said it was done in Danang...but what do we put on the DS-156???? Here is specifically what her passport reads under place of issue:

cuc quan ly xuat nhap canh (not a place - a company name!) HELP!

Jonas

Timeline

2. Sections 1-5 of the DS-156 EVAF must contain the correct name, passport number and issuance information, exactly as shown in the applicant’s passport.

3. Section 2 should only include the city of issuance for the passport. Do not select Vietnam for place of issuance, and do not include State/Province. Leave these two fields blank.

Those are instructions for the DS-156 :crying:

Put exactly what the passport says - (to the instructions you posted)

For the city - I would imagine you would put where the company is located. (put the name of the company, city)?

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Looking back at my wife's DS-156, we put Can Tho as the city of issuance. This is where she applied for the passport and where she picked it up once completed. Her passport also shows Cuc Quan Ly Xuat Nhap Canh as the place of issue. This was back in 2006 so not sure if the form has changed since then, but we did not have any trouble with putting Can Tho.

STL_HCMC

Edited by STL_HCMC

K1 Timeline

12/27/2005...I-129F Sent (Nebraska Service Center)

07/19/2006...Visa Approved

AOS Timeline

01/23/2007...AOS Sent

03/08/2007...AOS Approved

Removing Conditions

01/12/2009...I-751 Sent

06/10/2009...I-751 Approved

Naturalization

03/27/2010...N-400 Sent

11/21/2011...Approval

12/09/2011...Oath Ceremony

Timeline
question 32 - do you intend to work in the u.s.

what do we say? She does, but has no idea employer address....if you say yes, it says provide employer name and address

WITH WORK AUTHORIZATION, EMPLOYER UNKNOWN

We followed the example forms here on VisaJourney (link below).

Link: Example Forms

STL_HCMC

K1 Timeline

12/27/2005...I-129F Sent (Nebraska Service Center)

07/19/2006...Visa Approved

AOS Timeline

01/23/2007...AOS Sent

03/08/2007...AOS Approved

Removing Conditions

01/12/2009...I-751 Sent

06/10/2009...I-751 Approved

Naturalization

03/27/2010...N-400 Sent

11/21/2011...Approval

12/09/2011...Oath Ceremony

Timeline

Just submitted DS-156 but her address looks bizarre...she tried to put postal code n/a and leave it blank, no dice. So she wrote NONE. Now her address looks like it includes the word NONE. Is there a postal code in VN? I have sent her many letters with none...can you guys tell me, does she need to do it again?? :-(

p.s. does she have a national identification number?

Jonas

Timeline

Can she leave it blank for the ZIP/State?

National ID number? Try the CMND number.

"You always get what you've always gotten if you always do what you always did."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Just submitted DS-156 but her address looks bizarre...she tried to put postal code n/a and leave it blank, no dice. So she wrote NONE. Now her address looks like it includes the word NONE. Is there a postal code in VN? I have sent her many letters with none...can you guys tell me, does she need to do it again?? :-(

p.s. does she have a national identification number?

Jonas

you can get a postal code for any city by calling UPS or Fedex, im not sure which

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

vietnam has postal codes but restrictly used in some circumstances, you can go to post office and ask for it. Regard place of issue, you use province where she had picked up the passport as your place,.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hey there Jonas, I'm glad to see your case is progressing normally. Isn't the DS-156 just plain weird? I thought so too. It just seems downright silly in places. After doing a little digging, I found out why it seems weird, and more importantly, why you don't need to worry that it seems weird.

You see, the DS-156 is the general information form that goes along with a non-immigrant visa. Technically, the K-1 (and K-3) visas are non-immigrant visas. Trouble is, every person who applies for one of these visas is really an intending immigrant. Now, suddenly some of the questions seem funny: Where do you intend to work? How long do you intend to stay in the U.S.? Questions like that. If you look at them in the context of say, a work or business visa (which was what the 156 was intended for), the questions don't seem nearly as bizarre.

Since you've already submitted it, it's really a moot point, but someone did point out that there is a sample for this form filled out in the context of a K-1. I didn't follow it. I just put N/A for all the questions like you're having trouble with. Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.