selfie

SSN refused

53 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
It would seem to make a little more sense if the SSA would apply the same protocol to K1's as they do for K3's on this new program here... http://ssa.gov/ssnvisa/who_can.htm But seeing as a K1 is still classified as a non-immigrant visa I wouldn't expect anything anytime soon.

Enumeration at Entry is only for people age 18 or older that have applied/issued an immigrant visa and all K visa classifications are nonimmigrant.

It'll be virtually impossible for them to say no with a work stamp and your desire/need to work when you apply for it.

I don't care if George Bush signs your I-94 as work authorized, SSA isn't assigning an SSN until your verified as work authorized, so if they send the G-845 for verification and your I-94 is within 14 days of expiring when comes back you are out of luck.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
she told me basically that it was only for food stamps and stuff like that, if I don't need the gov help I don't need that. I gave her the document of eligibility requirement and even with that she refused. I don't know if it's a problem but we were already married when I went there.

oh I forgot, Montreal wrote with a pen on my I-94 " Sep. X9, 2006 Employment Not Auth"

She said she did not liked that line, that just prooves I don't need SSN

I've never heard of a K's I-94 being marked that way; how odd. And why would Montreal have your I-94? Did you fly out of Montreal?

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

rushter,

A K1 is employment authorized (EA) incident to status - they are EA simply by the fact that they are a K1. (K3's are not.) The SSA does not need to see an EAD to know that the person is employment authorized, they only need to know that the person is a K1. Hence, the SSA will issue a SSN and card to a K1 as long as their status is not about to expire (because their EA expires with it). An I-94 card showing that the person is a K1 is all that the SSA needs - along with verification from the USCIS' SAVE data base or manual verification - to know that the person is EA and can therefore be issued a number and card.

Getting employed is a more difficult matter, because the law says that not only must a potential employee be EA, the employer must see a valid EAD. An I-94 marked 'K1' is not a valid EAD, but an I-94 with a stamp on it saying 'employment authorized' it is a valid EAD.

Yodrak

Not really... You can take your chances at the local ssa office using the weaponry suggested in this thread after you arrive... but do it quickly after you get here, (within a couple of weeks and don't dally around about it). Oh yeah, even though the claim by some ssa folks is bogus, (as you can see from other's posting about refusals), I'd apply before you get married. Good grief. :hehe:

If you use jfk for your poe you might still be able to get your I-94 stamped with "Work Authorized", in which case that'll be your greatest asset to getting an SSN without any problems. Ahem... just don't make any claims that you need the SSN solely for a bank account or drivers license lest they decline you for that reason alone. You want to have the ability to work.

It'll be virtually impossible for them to say no with a work stamp and your desire/need to work when you apply for it. :wacko:

Best of luck!

PS:

It would seem to make a little more sense if the SSA would apply the same protocol to K1's as they do for K3's on this new program here... http://ssa.gov/ssnvisa/who_can.htm But seeing as a K1 is still classified as a non-immigrant visa I wouldn't expect anything anytime soon.

Edited by Yodrak

I am on a K1 visa, applied for a SSN today exactly 16 days after my arrival. I just brought my Passport and I-94. I did'nt have problems.

They just told me that SSN for K1 can be done in the airports now. And i could have done it there. ;)

Applied at the office in New Britain, CT.

AOS

Aug 14, 2006 = EAD and AOS forms mailed

Oct 14, 2006 = GC and Welcome Letter recieved

LIFTING CONDITIONS

Jul 05, 2008 = Forms Mailed

Jul 09, 2008 = Check Cashed

Jul 09, 2008 = NOA date

Jul 12, 2008 = Got the NOA in the mail

Jul 25, 2008 = Biometrics Notice Date

Jul 29, 2008 = Got Biometrics mail

Aug 14, 2008 = Biometric Appointment

Feb 25, 2009 = Transfered to CSC

May 11, 2009 = Approved

They just told me that SSN for K1 can be done in the airports now. And i could have done it there. ;)

Applied at the office in New Britain, CT.

No No No. SSA does not have people to take applications at airports or any way for people to submit an SSN application at the airport. Office needs to be enlightened.

I'm sorry to hear about the original poster's problems with getting a SSN.

I went down to my local office today with my I-94 through JFK (therefore work authorised) and was told that they would have to send off my application for immigration checks!??

I thought if you were on the SAVE-AVI system (which I was) you wouldn't need this check?

has anyone else experience the same thing?

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Paul, how do you know you are in SAVE?

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Being in the SAVE system for verification purposes means more than just being there.

1. Your name must be spelled right allowing for one letter to be incorrect

2. Date of birth must be totally correct

3. Eligibility line must have “Temporary Employment Authorized”

4. Immigration status needs to match immigration document

https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203735

RM 00203.735 Requesting Online (Primary) Verification by SAVE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.