cali92057

Cuban Fiancee

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Cuba
Timeline

I am new to this so please bear with me. I an engaged to be married to a man in Cuba. My passport shows my visits but each time I go I must go through another country as we cannot go direct from the US to Cuba. My first question is will Immigration recognizes the application process because of this or should I get married to him in Cuba and attempt to bring him here that way. I thank anyone for your help with this matter.

Monique

Oceanside, California

Monique

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I am new to this so please bear with me. I an engaged to be married to a man in Cuba. My passport shows my visits but each time I go I must go through another country as we cannot go direct from the US to Cuba. My first question is will Immigration recognizes the application process because of this or should I get married to him in Cuba and attempt to bring him here that way. I thank anyone for your help with this matter.

Monique

Oceanside, California

Your passport should also have stamps from when you entered and exited Cuba, so that shouldn't be an issue. I sometimes went through London to get to Morocco, and had stamps for both countries. You can still do the K-1.

As far as wondering if you should get married first, that's something probably best asked of people who have gone through Cuba in the past - they can tell you which way is faster/easier. Sometimes it varies by country. You can also read up on the different visas to see if there are any reasons you might prefer one over another.

Good luck - I wish you a quick and hassle free journey!

met online May 2006

visited him in Morocco July 2006

K-1 petition sent late September 2006 after second visit

December 2006 - third trip - went for his visa interview (stood outside all day)

visa approved! arrived here together right before Christmas 2006

married January 2007

AOS paperwork sent February 2007

RFE (yipee)

another RFE (yikes)

AOS approval July 2007

sent Removal of Conditions paperwork 01 May 2009

received I-751 NOA 14 May 2009

received ASC appt. notice 28 May 2009

biometrics appt. 12 June 2009

I-751 approval date 25 Sept 2009 (no updates on the system - still says 'received'/"initial review")

19 Oct 2009 - got text message "card production ordered"

24 Oct 2009 - actual card in the mail box!

sent his N-400 - 14 May 2010

check cashed 27 May 2010

NOA received 29 May 2010 (dated 24 May)

Biometrics Appointment Letter received 17 June 2010

Biometrics scheduled for 08 July 2010; walk-in successfully done in Philadelphia 07 July 2010

02 Oct 2010 - FINALLY got email saying the case was being transferred to the local office. Hoping to get his interview letter soon...

05 Oct 2010 - received interview letter!!!!

08 November 2010 - scheduled for N-400 interview

- went together for interview; file isn't there - need to wait to be rescheduled

Jan 2011 - went for Infopass

25 Feb 2011 - interview

19 April 2011 - Infopass

8 July 2011 - HE'S FINALLY A CITIZEN - WOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30 July 2011 - citizenship party

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

Hi,

I have gone through this process and did the K-1. You only need to prove that you have met in person and you do not need to provide your 'stamps' entering or leaving Cuba. Provide receipts, pictures, your hotel bill, photos, dates, places you visited, anything that proves you were there and have a relationship/ intent to marry. My K-1 went very fast and seems to be a quicker process than the K-3. While it went very smoothly here, getting an inteview date at US Special Interests in Havana was a little delayed, they are very busy. Make sure he is prepared for the interview and congratulations, I am sure you are very excited.

2manypapers

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

same here, you only need OTHER documents to prove that you have been there. ALSO Cuban immigration officials DON'T care about your U.S. passport (they don't recognize the U.S. Citizenship or Cuban born nationals, read the U.S Department of State website for more info on this, if you like) therefore they don't stamp it. hopefully you have other proof that you have been there such as tickets for a charter flight (I wouldn't send tickets for "other" flights you might have taken to get there since that's illegal)

Timeline

Monique

Oceanside, California

Your passport should also have stamps from when you entered and exited Cuba, so that shouldn't be an issue. I sometimes went through London to get to Morocco, and had stamps for both countries. You can still do the K-1.

As far as wondering if you should get married first, that's something probably best asked of people who have gone through Cuba in the past - they can tell you which way is faster/easier. Sometimes it varies by country. You can also read up on the different visas to see if there are any reasons you might prefer one over another.

Good luck - I wish you a quick and hassle free journey!

Monique

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

Hi, I'm in this big time right now too, we are sending our afacavit of support tommorow i hope and going on thru the gauntlet of steps.. i will tell ytou right now, do a fiancee visa it is actually faster and much much less expensive!I KNOW!!! as much as I loved my marriage in Cuba hat ai had tyo go through and pay thru the nose for was outrageous and difficult, we are so lucky that the new laws will make it batter to travel as of now you cannot be prosecuted for cuba travel , no federal $ can be spent on it, so one stone at a time the wall is coming down. I can tell you the base fees and hassle alone would floor you. as someone else here said to late for me to know " save the money and buy a good ( Mac ) laptop!you'l need it. seriously, the K-3 is easier. maybe not so fast but nothing is .. I am in bliss thinking that :star: Aldeki may actually be here soon, of course I will needto go back to bring the papers, and have our anniversary but any way. feel free to email me, i answer when i can, and I' d love to have someone to talk with about this, it is tough to be doing it without any good cuban friends around who know the real answers, this forum is a lifesaver and such a a good thing. Juana

One love...

Timeline
Hi, I'm in this big time right now too, we are sending our afacavit of support tommorow i hope and going on thru the gauntlet of steps.. i will tell ytou right now, do a fiancee visa it is actually faster and much much less expensive!I KNOW!!! as much as I loved my marriage in Cuba hat ai had tyo go through and pay thru the nose for was outrageous and difficult, we are so lucky that the new laws will make it batter to travel as of now you cannot be prosecuted for cuba travel , no federal $ can be spent on it, so one stone at a time the wall is coming down. I can tell you the base fees and hassle alone would floor you. as someone else here said to late for me to know " save the money and buy a good ( Mac ) laptop!you'l need it. seriously, the K-3 is easier. maybe not so fast but nothing is .. I am in bliss thinking that :star: Aldeki may actually be here soon, of course I will needto go back to bring the papers, and have our anniversary but any way. feel free to email me, i answer when i can, and I' d love to have someone to talk with about this, it is tough to be doing it without any good cuban friends around who know the real answers, this forum is a lifesaver and such a a good thing. Juana

Monique

Timeline

Thank you for writing, you can write me anytime you like. I live in Southern California and through the assistance of a wonderful member of this site told me of an Immigration Attorney. It has cut the stress in half, well sort of. I have a long road ahead of me. I am happy you told me about getting married in Cuba as thats what we were going to do but now we wait. Everyday the laws are changing and changing in our favor. Right now I am applying for a K1. I hope next Easter we will all be together as a family as we should be free to be.

Monique

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.