bauser

POE choice -- pre-clearance or state-side

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Does anyone have an opinion on whether there is a tangible difference with a pre-clearance POE like Toronto Pearson or a state-side POE like Newark Liberty? I have to get to New York City by air so here are my choices.

Pearson to LaGuardia:

I'm leaning toward LaGuardia because it is very close (15 minutes) from where I'll be living. But it means processing in Toronto.

--or--

Toronto Island to Newark:

On the other hand, if I fly with Porter to Newark I will be processed state-side. I'm thinking that processing in the states may improve the speed that I get registered in the SAVE-ASVI system for my SSN and also reduce the possibility that they'd lose my paperwork (the POE is geographically next to my final destination and local USCIS office). The only problem is that I'd then have to trek from New Jersey to Queens with 3 suitcases.

Lifting Conditions

01-Jun-2011: Filed I-751

06-Jun-2011: I-751 NOA

20-Jul-2011: Biometrics appointment

03-Dec-2011: File Electronic AR-11 to update address

25-Mar-2012: Approved

Timeline

Bauser I was just talking about the same thing with my fiance, I'm doing the same trek to Queens and noticed that Porter was cheaper right now, but its such a pain to get to Queens from Newark! I'll be in Woodside :) Where will you be?

Anywho, I think I'm going to end up just flying to LaGuardia because I live close to Pearson and want my family to drop me off and not have it be a hassle to drive all the way downtown - I live 10 minutes from Pearson. And then it is WAY easier for R to pick me up at La Guardia. I'm bringing 4 suitcases and a carry on, LOL.

And the last time I flew Porter, I didn't really like the anticipation of having to wait to go through Customs. I like the idea of activating my visa before I get on the plane so all I have to do is get off the plane and get my stuff and be there. it's just too bad that Air Canada is a bit pricy right now! A couple of months ago R bought a flight for $175 return and now they are $300+.

I never really thought of the processing to be different. I think it is slower when you go through a land POE but who knows - it must all be the same system.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Only tangible difference (and only applies to JFK being used as POE) is that PFI's (such as that at YYZ) do not give the 90-day EAD stamp.

As Newark Liberty doesn't do the stamp, best bet is YYC-LGA.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Timeline
Only tangible difference (and only applies to JFK being used as POE) is that PFI's (such as that at YYZ) do not give the 90-day EAD stamp.

As Newark Liberty doesn't do the stamp, best bet is YYC-LGA.

Actually when you fly to JFK from Toronto Pearson Airport you go through Pre-Clearence customs in Toronto and don't go through Customs at JFK.

The only time we don't pre-clear out of Toronto is when you fly Porter Airlines out of the Toronto Island Airport because there is no customs at that airport.

Removing Conditions

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll fly YYZ-LGA.

Bauser I was just talking about the same thing with my fiance, I'm doing the same trek to Queens and noticed that Porter was cheaper right now, but its such a pain to get to Queens from Newark! I'll be in Woodside :) Where will you be?

Cool! I'll be living in Astoria, which is just north of Woodside. We should stay in touch to ham it up about the marriage process, AOS and reminiscing about our homeland.

Lifting Conditions

01-Jun-2011: Filed I-751

06-Jun-2011: I-751 NOA

20-Jul-2011: Biometrics appointment

03-Dec-2011: File Electronic AR-11 to update address

25-Mar-2012: Approved

Timeline
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll fly YYZ-LGA.

Cool! I'll be living in Astoria, which is just north of Woodside. We should stay in touch to ham it up about the marriage process, AOS and reminiscing about our homeland.

Sent you an email about the Queens marriage stuff I was talking about. Looks the same as that link you sent me.

Anyhow, we should definitely keep in touch and cross paths to say hello!

Removing Conditions

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.