July09Bride

Short Term Insurance for Canadian in US

47 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
That's a ridiculously scary thought! I'm definitely rethinking my plan. I appreciate the advice from everyone... I was blissfully unaware of the costs of health care in the US! I can't even believe those prices...

That's why healthcare is such a bugaboo here in the US. The coverage some of us have vs. coverage others have (or don't have). Yeah, I'll never forget. My grandma was in the hospital, in a COMA (no less), she passed away while she was in there (long story - and it was a blessing) and I got to see the hospital bill. OMG... $12 for a box of kleenex, and she was in a COMA for crying out loud! :bonk: Yeah, things are a bit pricey over here.

Event Date

ROC

9/24/11 - Mailed I-751 packet to CSC

9/26/11 - NOA1 Receipt Date

9/28/11 - Check cashed

10/1/11 - NOA1 arrived in mail

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
Honestly, how much does medical care cost in the US if you have no insurance? What if I fall down and break my arm and have to go to the ER... How much would I pay? Anyone have any idea?

My co-payment at the ER last week was $50.00. Yes I have insurance and I still had to pay $50 so that I could get a test for strep throat. It was a holiday and my doctors office was closed, if I had known, I would have waited the day.

So if you break your arm and you need surgery to fix your arm and you don't have insurance....

I could easily see $15K to $20K in expenses. Damn malpractice lawsuits screwing us up.

How foolish would it be to walk around without medical coverage for 50 days? That was my plan... But I have little to no understanding of how the US medical system works. Is it so stupid expensive that if I need to go to a doctor once in those 50 days I would be better off getting coverage? Or maybe... is it not legal to walk around without coverage? That would be kinda weird, but I've heard weirder things...

Honestly, I'm 21 and I haven't been in a hospital since the day I was born. I don't think I'm going to need one...

And you probably won't. But if you do, the cost can get into life-ruining territory very, very quickly. Let's be clear; a doctor's visit probably wouldn't be a big deal, but as the saying goes, you don't insure your first dollar, you insure your last. Travel insurance is comparatively inexpensive.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I had strep throat here when I had that temporary insurance. In the US you get TWO bills when you go to the hospital, once from the hospital and one from the doctor that threats you. The doctors are often private doctors that have their own practice but take shifts at the hospital.

Between the two bills, going to the hospital for strep throat was almost $1,000.00. Luckily I had that CAA insurance that paid for it.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

• 2 months later...
Timeline
https://www.sevencorners.com/insurance/inbo...migrant/HWDYZWN

I used these guys, never had a claim but it was cheap and gave me peace of mind.

We just bought less than a month of insurance via sevencorners.com and for a $75 deductible for major medical, we paid about $55 TOTAL for 28 days worth of coverage.

Thanks, Em for the suggestion! It was quick & easy to buy. :)

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Timeline

I'll start by saying YES get the medical insurance for 30 days, 50 days or whatever you need. Much better to be on the safe side.

Having said that though, I'm wondering where those that stated prices are going for medical treatments. I saw $150 stated for a general doctor's appointment. Seriously? Where the heck was that? :wacko: I have a fantastic family doctor and an appointment is $58. $50-60 is the norm in this area. I also saw a few amazing numbers for some broken bones. Really? My son broke his arm which included a trip to the emergency room, x-rays, a cast and some pain medication and it was a little over $600 and change. Both of those figures are what I would be charged if I were uninsured.

So I guess my question is this - does the cost of health care in the US vary depending on the cost of living just like everything else? Our cost of living is very cheap in Indiana, but I never realized this might affect our health care costs. I know we all know someone who got into a terrible accident or had to spend a month in the hospital uninsured and it wiped them out, but for basic things, I can't believe some of the costs I've seen listed on here. It sounds like I should be really happy to be in Indiana.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

When it comes to health care, sure the $$$$$ varies from where u live and to what doctor you see.

I just learned a hard lesson last month with regards to dental, one that I should have known,lol I had yet to goto the dentist (ya, im bad,lol) so I found this site that does reviews: http://www.ratemds.com/social/ found one that had great reviews. Called them and asked if they accepted Delta Dental, which they did. BUT I should have asked if they were a preferred provided--or if they were in the network, which after I got the work done, found at they were NOT! So if they are out of the network, their fees are not capped,and was a HUGE difference in what my wife pays at her dentist, that is within the network!

One doesn't want to get sick without insurance. And there are a zillion health insurance plans out their with varying amounts of coverage, which makes it confusing and frustrating at times!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
My son broke his arm which included a trip to the emergency room, x-rays, a cast and some pain medication and it was a little over $600 and change. Both of those figures are what I would be charged if I were uninsured.

600 bucks without insurance? We had a friend that broke his leg in a skiing accident. He was uninsured at the time. His hospital bill was more like 10,000.00.

BUT I should have asked if they were a preferred provided--or if they were in the network, which after I got the work done, found at they were NOT! So if they are out of the network, their fees are not capped,and was a HUGE difference in what my wife pays at her dentist, that is within the network!

I have this GREAT dentist down the street. They take BCBS, but are not in our network! :lol: I've gotta switch my coverage in October so I can pay a bit more money to go see who ever I want without having to choose from within a specific network.

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline

We can see anyone we want, BUT insurance will cover only certain percentage of the bill. So if one sees a medical provider within the network, that DR/office has agreed to charge only a certain amount. Where as if they are not within the network, they can charge whatever they wish! i thought charging over $300 for 1 cavity was excessive. I called Delta Dental and the lady I chatted with, said that was extremely high! So will just use my wifes dentist, even though it a bit of a drive for me.

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

I had the same situation a few years ago, Flames. I asked if the dentist accepted our insurance - and they said yes. What I should have asked is if they were a preferred provider. Like you, I too found out after the treatment that they were not a preferred provider. Ouch!

Another interesting fact about insurance - providers will have different fees depending on whether or not you are insured. My chiropractor charges $35 for a straight visit if I pay for it and they don't have to go through insurance. If it goes through insurance, the fee for the exact same treatment is $50. Of course, the co-pay for treatment from my insurance is $40! I found this out after a few treatments where I sent in the insurance claim where they ended up paying $10 and I paid $40. I found out it was cheaper not to use insurance so now I just pay instead.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Our whole purpose in getting him the temporary insurance is for major medical. Basically, if he breaks something or is in a car accident, whatever, he will have coverage for the hospital. Then again, it depeds on what hospital he goes to, as to how much he/we would be charged.

The nice thing about this insurance is that AD&D (accidental death & dismemberment) is also included, which is terrific. Not all temporary insurance or short term insurance includes that.

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Timeline
Our whole purpose in getting him the temporary insurance is for major medical. Basically, if he breaks something or is in a car accident, whatever, he will have coverage for the hospital. Then again, it depeds on what hospital he goes to, as to how much he/we would be charged.

The nice thing about this insurance is that AD&D (accidental death & dismemberment) is also included, which is terrific. Not all temporary insurance or short term insurance includes that.

I see you have a plan in the works!! NICEEEEE!!!!

Timeline

LOL... yeah, so I can pay off my parents and all my bills! KIDDING!!!!

I didn't get your comment at first... then I thought about it and realized... "Typical Flames, looking for the 'funny' in every situation!" :bonk:

Event Date

ROC

9/28/11 - Check cashed

3/19/12 - RFE

5/3/12 - RoC APPROVED!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We are definitely very lucky in Canada not to have to pay for the majority of our health care. What I wish our govenrments would do tho is send out a statement of some sort indicating what the you recieved actually costs. Especially when people go to emergency rather than to their doctor or a walk-in clinc for a sore throat or non-life threatening injury. I am sure that treatment at an emergency ward is much more costly than going to your GP or clinic. A cost comparison between an emerg visit and going to see your doc would be neat to see as well. Maybe it would reduce the financial stress that our medical system is under, and enable better and faster care for everyone.

Timeline

LOL... yeah, so I can pay off my parents and all my bills! KIDDING!!!!

I didn't get your comment at first... then I thought about it and realized... "Typical Flames, looking for the 'funny' in every situation!" :bonk:

Actually, that wasn't just Flames...I totally thought of that the second I read it. :lol:

My eyes filled with grit

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.