itty_bitty

Tax Return question

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

We e-filed our 2008 tax return using turbo tax on Saturday and received a notice from them thru e-mail that it was rejected. This was IRS's reason for rejecting: The amount entered for the spouse's prior year adjusted gross income (AGI) does not match what the IRS has in its records.

I checked both the copy of our return and the IRS transcript for 2007, it's exactly the same AGI amount that I entered. And the reason of rejection confuses me because my husband and I filed the 2007 return jointly (although I didn't have SSN or ITIN yet that time) but I wasn't making any income that time so why does it say amount entered for the spouse's prior year does not match? when we were answering the turbo tax interview, it didnt even ask for my 2007 AGI. we just had to put one AGI for both me and my husband and needless to say it was my husband's 2007 AGI.

Im thinking that maybe our 2007 tax return wasn't considered married filing jointly since I didn't have SSN or ITIN when we filed jointly. but that's what it says on the IRS transcript, married filing jointly. Anyone experienced the same problem? (rejected due to "wrong" AGI?) Please help tax experts!

AOS Timeline

Dec. 09, 2008- mailed AOS packet

Dec. 10, 2008- received by V. Bustamante

Dec. 16, 2008- money order payment was cashed

Dec. 22, 2008- received NOAs for I-131; I-485; and I-765 in the mail (yay!)

Feb. 21, 2009- received I-512L (Advance Parole document)

Feb. 24, 2009- biometrics done

Mar. 05, 2009- EAD received

Mar. 05, 2009- case transferred to CSC

Mar. 10, 2009- applied for SSN

Mar. 21, 2009- SSN card received

Apr. 10, 2009- Welcome Notice Received dated 04/06/09

Apr. 13, 2009- Greencard received

not sure.... bump

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: Timeline
We e-filed our 2008 tax return using turbo tax on Saturday and received a notice from them thru e-mail that it was rejected. This was IRS's reason for rejecting: The amount entered for the spouse's prior year adjusted gross income (AGI) does not match what the IRS has in its records.

I checked both the copy of our return and the IRS transcript for 2007, it's exactly the same AGI amount that I entered. And the reason of rejection confuses me because my husband and I filed the 2007 return jointly (although I didn't have SSN or ITIN yet that time) but I wasn't making any income that time so why does it say amount entered for the spouse's prior year does not match? when we were answering the turbo tax interview, it didnt even ask for my 2007 AGI. we just had to put one AGI for both me and my husband and needless to say it was my husband's 2007 AGI.

Im thinking that maybe our 2007 tax return wasn't considered married filing jointly since I didn't have SSN or ITIN when we filed jointly. but that's what it says on the IRS transcript, married filing jointly. Anyone experienced the same problem? (rejected due to "wrong" AGI?) Please help tax experts!

I would check to make sure that the amounts on all your W-2's were reported correctly. Check with the IRS to see what they have on file, and try to correlate the difference.

Edited by Mister_Bill

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I would check to make sure that the amounts on all your W-2's were reported correctly. Check with the IRS to see what they have on file, and try to correlate the difference.

Be prepared for a very long wait with the IRS since I've got the same problem and I'm on hold right now! 24 minutes and counting. . .

Edited by alienlovechild

David & Lalai

th_ourweddingscrapbook-1.jpg

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Greencard Received Date: July 3, 2009

Lifting of Conditions : March 18, 2011

I-751 Application Sent: April 23, 2011

Biometrics: June 9, 2011

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

ours didn't go through the first time because the accountant had entered the wrong amount in the Recovery Rebate Credit section

but it went through the 2nd time and hopefully we get our money this week.. just 6 weeks after we filed..:P we were supposed to get it in 2.....

Edited by *Marilyn*
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I finally got through to the IRS but they told me I couldn't e-file because my wife didn't file taxes last year and I filed a single return last year. That's the case for Turbo Tax so try another service if you don't want to wait 6 weeks for a refund.

We're used to waiting with USCIS.

David & Lalai

th_ourweddingscrapbook-1.jpg

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Greencard Received Date: July 3, 2009

Lifting of Conditions : March 18, 2011

I-751 Application Sent: April 23, 2011

Biometrics: June 9, 2011

Filed: Timeline

If I remember correctly, after filing a joint return for 2003 (the year Nani and I got married but prior to her moving to the US) by electing to treat Nani as a US resident for tax purposes and using an ITIN for her rather than a SSN, we could not file electronically the following year since the IRS did not yet have Nani's SSN on file. For 2004, we filed a paper return. Ever since 2005, we're able to file electronically, though. Just did it last weekend and had no problems having the return accepted.