to_hope

Montreal Review

15 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband and I went to my interview this morning and I was approved! The whole interview process went very smoothly.

We stayed at the Best Western Europa Hotel the night before and walked to the consulate, arriving around 7:15am. There was one woman there before us. We made small talk until a guard opened the door at 7:30am. He sent each person (or couple in our case) in at a time, collecting our passports and appointment letters, checking our appointment day, and then handing them back to us.

Once we went inside we were instructed to empty our pockets and put everything we had (including our coats) in a bin which went through an X-ray machine. I did not have a purse, but I did have a plastic accordion file with all my paperwork, which was fine. We went through the metal detector and were scanned with a wand. The guards were very friendly, asking how we were and joking about the cold weather. Then we were given a plastic letter "B" and an instruction sheet which was clipped onto our appointment letter and passports. We were instructed to go down a flight of stairs and have a seat at the bottom (by the elevator).

While we waited for a guard to come bring us into the elevator, we arranged our paperwork: passports, 2 pictures (with name written on back), medical, police check, financial support documents (tax return, employment letter, or the like), and the Xpress Post envelope. We waited about 15 minutes

Next a guard came down and took those of us with a plastic letter (2 singles and 2 couples). He took the clipped packet with the letter, our passports, and appointment letter, and held them while we went upstairs. Once upstairs he had us take a seat in the waiting room and then he the papers and passports he had in hand to the people who processed us. The waiting room is nice and bright with a great view of Montreal! It was spacious and quiet as people spoke in hushed tones- a nice atmosphere to ease my nerves.

After another 15 minute wait, the first lady (who had received the letter "A") was called back to a window. They call your name over an intercom which is loud and clear so you don't have to worry about not hearing it. The windows are located down a little hallway which is marked by a sign that reads "Windows 6-12" with an arrow. The first time we went back I gave 2 photos, my medical results, my updated police check, and my Xpress Post envelope. The man behind the glass was friendly- he asked me to verify a few things and then asked a few questions about what my husband does and what my father-in-law does (our co-sponsor). I expected him to ask for our financial support documents, but he never did.

We went back to the waiting room for another 20 minutes and then we were called back to get my fingerprints. That took about 2 minutes and we were back in the waiting room again. Around 9:10am we were finally called in for the interview! The interview rooms are down the same hallway as the aforementioned windows, but are just before the windows. They are clearly marked with numbers so you can't miss them- I'm terrible at orienting myself in new places and I was fine.

In the interview room a lady swore us in and asked us when we were married, how we met, and a few more questions about what my husband does and what his father does. Then she asked if we had siblings and asked me what my parents do (I think because I told her I live with my parents right now). She looked through what seemed like every single piece of paper in our file, giving us back our original documents (my birth certificate and our marriage license). She asked when I was planning on moving and I laughed and said, "Um well... when I get my visa." I was so unsure how to answer since she hadn't approved me yet. She laughed too and asked how long I was staying in Montreal. My husband and I already decided that we would stay an extra night if we could pick the visa up the next day; I had an idea that she was asking because she might let me pick it up, so I said, "We are staying until tomorrow evening." Then she asked, "Would you like to come pick it up tomorrow afternoon?" I grinned and said, "We'd LOVE to!"

She went on to explain that the visa is a single entry visa, but I can travel with my passport, I just have to be able to show that as a permanent resident I have domicile in the USA and spend most of my time in the USA. She explained that I can use my current SSN (I have one from when I was a student in the USA) and I'd get a green card in a couple months in the mail. Then she congratulated us and off we went!

We went back to the hotel where we had our bags checked and used the internet (I brought a laptop) to book a room through hotwire. So we're staying one more night here and tomorrow we'll be driving back the Toronto area. My husband will go back to Michigan right away because he has class and my parents are going to bring me and all my things this weekend. At last! I am so sad to say goodbye to my home here but also happy to finally be moving on. I can't wait until a few months from now when I'm settled in and things won't be so emotional anymore :)

Hope this review helps! Please ask any questions and I'll try answer.

All the best to those whose interviews are yet to come. I think VJ is a great source of help; if you follow the good advice on here you will have a hard time going wrong. :)

2004-09-03 : Met at college in USA and went on first date!

2008-01-02 : Married in Canada.

2008-01-07 : DH returns to USA.

2008-04-20 : Finally received marriage certificate from the province and filed 1-130 Petition.

2008-07-08 : I-130 Approved!

2008-09-15 : Received DS-230 and I-864.

2008-10-14: Mailed DS-230 and I-864

2008-10-30: DS-230 and I-864 received by NVC

2008-11-04: RFE

2008-11-18: Overnighted missing documents to NVC

2008-11-26: Case Complete at NVC!!

2008-03-02: Medical in Toronto

2009-03-23: Interview! Approved!

2009-04-04: The big move. POE: Blue Water Bridge. All went well.

2009-04-16: SSN arrives in the mail.

2009-04-24: PR card arrives in the mail.

Timeline

nice review. Congrats

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Great review :thumbs: Congratulations again and best of luck with the move.

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Congrats, let me be the first to welcome you soon to the land of Michiganders Lol :)

My wife has been back since June 5, 2007. Now we're just livin' man, L I V I N :)

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Aww it brought tears to my eyes, I can almost see our finish line too.

Our Journey

6 June 2008- Mailed I130 to Toronto (DCF)

7 Nov 2008- I130 approved in Toronto!!

21 Nov 2008- Received Packet 3 from Montreal

4 Jan 2009- Mailed Packet back

9 Feb 2009- Medical in Toronto

24 Apr 2009- Interview in Montreal...Approved!!!

30 Apr 2009- Received Visa... few hours later crossed to border for the 6 day drive to Utah!!

6 Apr 2009- Arrived at our new HOME!!

13 May 2009- Welcome letter received

19 May 2009- Went to social security office and "applied" for SSN

22 May 2009- SS Card arrived in mail!! (I guess they did send in the paperwork at the interview...)

???????<<<<waiting for GC>>>>>>

Timeline

A long time coming, but I'm glad it has finally happened for you two! Wow, moving this weekend? This will be a whirlwind week for you :) Best of luck :D I'm SOOOOOOOOO happy for you :D

Such a great review, thanks for sharing your experience. And CONGRATULATIONS, now you can get on with life!

***Naturalization ***

Submitted N-400: Dec 30, 2015
USPS Delivery Confirmation:
Direct Debit processed: Jan 5, 2015
NOA: Jan 9, 2015
Biometrics Appointment: Jan 28, 2015
Interview: May 7, 2015
Oath Ceremony: still waiting

Timeline

congratulations! best of luck with the move!

Sarinha

First met March 2007, playing an MMORPG (ffxi)

Getting married Feb 12 2010

Will start our VJ Feb 2010

2c61618b8b94d52d.gif

I-130 Journey - VSC CR1 & CR2

02-xx-10 -I-130 sent

xx-xx-10- I-130 NOA1

xx-xx-xx- I-130 NOA2

- Total Days from NOA 1 to NOA2 xxx

I-129F Journey - VSC K3 & K4

xx-xx-xx I-130 Received @ NVC

xx-xx-xx Case Completed at NVC :

xx-xx-xx NVC Left:

- Total Days from NOA1 to NVC Complete xx

- Total Days @ NVC xx

Consulate

xx-xx-xx Received at Consulate

xx-xx-xx Medical Date

xx-xx-xx Interview Date [ ] Pass [ ] Fail

- Total Days from Recd at Consulate to Interview xxx

- Total Days from NOA1 to Interview xxx

Timeline

Thanks for the congratulations everyone! I went back to the Consulate yesterday at 2:30pm and picked up my visa. The place was deserted except for the entry guards and a few people working behind the windows- it was so quiet up there! We picked up my visa and drove back to Ontario.... I'm moving on Friday. We rented a small U-haul trailer (I think 8 feet and 4 feet high?) - one way to Michigan was only $59! Our POE is Blue Water bridge- hoping all goes smoothly!

2004-09-03 : Met at college in USA and went on first date!

2008-01-02 : Married in Canada.

2008-01-07 : DH returns to USA.

2008-04-20 : Finally received marriage certificate from the province and filed 1-130 Petition.

2008-07-08 : I-130 Approved!

2008-09-15 : Received DS-230 and I-864.

2008-10-14: Mailed DS-230 and I-864

2008-10-30: DS-230 and I-864 received by NVC

2008-11-04: RFE

2008-11-18: Overnighted missing documents to NVC

2008-11-26: Case Complete at NVC!!

2008-03-02: Medical in Toronto

2009-03-23: Interview! Approved!

2009-04-04: The big move. POE: Blue Water Bridge. All went well.

2009-04-16: SSN arrives in the mail.

2009-04-24: PR card arrives in the mail.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.