meowmeowmeow

What is the better visa route- K-3 or CR1?

21 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Syria
Timeline

hypothetically, there's really nothing i can do right now though is there...not before i get another notice? except collecting all the paperwork and evidence necessary for the aos and interview? thanks....lol, i wish now i put down my old CA address and had the chance of having my case go through quicker...oh well. vermont seems to be the slowest center of them all...

Timeline:

Sent in I-130 form: 01/29/09

Interview Date: 11/08/09 (APPROVED!)

Visa in Hand: 11/12/09

POE: 01/30/10 (!!!!) at JFK Airport in NYC... can't wait!

Got the green card maybe 8 weeks after 01/30/10...

TBC....

======================================================================

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline

Whether or not to do the K3 (I129F) depends on what your goals are. I am going to do the K3 process because my husband is from Iran, but lives in Canada and we got married in Canada. With the K3, he interviews where we got married - Canada. With the I130(CR1/IR1), he will have to interview in the embassy that serves his country (Turkey or Dubai), which would be a hardship for us. Otherwise, I would not do the K3. I originally might have because I thought the K3 was faster (it was supposed to be comparative to the K1 fiance visa), but I have since found that that is not true. There really is no benefit to the K3 other than for the reason I am using it that I can see. I sent in my I130 in October and I129F in November and I'm still waiting on NOA2 (approval notice from USCIS). I don't expect to see anything for another month or two, if I'm lucky. As for evidence, you want as much of it as possible for the interview. From what I've seen it's better to have too much than not enough and have them ask you to come back again with more evidence! You never know what they are going to want to see.

Pandora and Hesam

K-3 Visa

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

Marriage : 2008-08-29 in Canada

I-130 Sent : 2008-10-14

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-10-20

I-130F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

I-129F Sent : 2008-11-25

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-11-28

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

NVC Received : 2009-05-12

Packet 3 Received : 2009-05-19

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-06-10

Interview: 2009-09-10 APPROVED

See my interview experience here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=217544&hl=

Visa Received : 2009-09-16

US Entry : 2009-09-27

EAD received: 2009-12-21

AOS interview: 2010-02-05 (medical exam missing from documents)

Recieved RFE for missing medical exam that they lost. Submitted new exam March 10, 2010.

Notified that he is in background checks after submitting three service requests: July, 2010

With the K3, he interviews where we got married - Canada. With the I130(CR1/IR1), he will have to interview in the embassy that serves his country (Turkey or Dubai), which would be a hardship for us.

could you explain this further? this was not my understanding of processing PRs of Canada when we went through this.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline
With the K3, he interviews where we got married - Canada. With the I130(CR1/IR1), he will have to interview in the embassy that serves his country (Turkey or Dubai), which would be a hardship for us.

could you explain this further? this was not my understanding of processing PRs of Canada when we went through this.

The instructions on the I129F says:

"The LIFE Act requires applicants to apply for a K-3 visa in the country where their marriage to the U.S. citizen petitioner occurred. Petitioners should make sure to identify the appropriate consulate, in the same country where they married the alien for whom they are petitioning, in Block 20 to avoid lengthy delays. "

This does not apply to marriage in the U.S. BTW.

Edited by childress_london

Pandora and Hesam

K-3 Visa

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Montreal, Canada

Marriage : 2008-08-29 in Canada

I-130 Sent : 2008-10-14

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-10-20

I-130F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

I-129F Sent : 2008-11-25

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-11-28

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-05-04

NVC Received : 2009-05-12

Packet 3 Received : 2009-05-19

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-06-10

Interview: 2009-09-10 APPROVED

See my interview experience here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=217544&hl=

Visa Received : 2009-09-16

US Entry : 2009-09-27

EAD received: 2009-12-21

AOS interview: 2010-02-05 (medical exam missing from documents)

Recieved RFE for missing medical exam that they lost. Submitted new exam March 10, 2010.

Notified that he is in background checks after submitting three service requests: July, 2010

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Syria
Timeline
Whether or not to do the K3 (I129F) depends on what your goals are. I am going to do the K3 process because my husband is from Iran, but lives in Canada and we got married in Canada. With the K3, he interviews where we got married - Canada. With the I130(CR1/IR1), he will have to interview in the embassy that serves his country (Turkey or Dubai), which would be a hardship for us. Otherwise, I would not do the K3. I originally might have because I thought the K3 was faster (it was supposed to be comparative to the K1 fiance visa), but I have since found that that is not true.

i find this interesting...wouldn't it just be possible to just call USCIS, explain the situation, and then have them send your package to the embassy you want to go? or are they that super picky about this?

Timeline:

Sent in I-130 form: 01/29/09

Interview Date: 11/08/09 (APPROVED!)

Visa in Hand: 11/12/09

POE: 01/30/10 (!!!!) at JFK Airport in NYC... can't wait!

Got the green card maybe 8 weeks after 01/30/10...

TBC....

======================================================================

The instructions on the I129F says:

"The LIFE Act requires applicants to apply for a K-3 visa in the country where their marriage to the U.S. citizen petitioner occurred. Petitioners should make sure to identify the appropriate consulate, in the same country where they married the alien for whom they are petitioning, in Block 20 to avoid lengthy delays. "

oh no - sorry I meant the part regarding the CR1/IR1's needing to "interview in the embassy that serves his country".

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.