LDora

Will the references I have from Canadian employers do me any good?

14 posts in this topic

I was chatting with my old Boss the other day, who I'm still friendly with (he's like a hyperactive older brother with a business degree) and he asked if I was going to use him as a reference. I'd like to (along with several other people I worked for/with), but will a potential American employer go so far as to actually call all the way to Canada to check up on me? Or would they only be interested in an American work history? Another thing is, Old Boss retired from the company a year after I left -- is his word still good to a potential employer? (Boss is, of course, offended at the very idea of his opinion not being solid gold.)

I don't have my Greencard yet, I'm just planning here. I've got a lot of good references, and I was hoping they'd still be of use. Should I just put them on a resume and see what happens when it comes time to start job hunting? At least they'd be able to see I had a work history. (Solid one, too -- the one I really want to use is the three years I spend working/managing the bakery before moving down here.)

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot. For some reason, I just got very nostalgic for some Canadian opinions.

"Your mom is in my head right now, and she's saying don't do that."

"For Sale. One Parachute . Used only once, never been opened. Small stain."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I put on my resume "references available upon request" and I plan on giving my Canadian boss.... if they really want to check you out, they can pay a few bucks on company $$ and call long distance for a reference! If they are serious about possibly hiring you!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline

You can also ask your references if they would provide you with a written letter of recommendation now that you could actually include in with your resume or attach to any job applications. The letter would, of course, contain an invitation to contact the provider if further information is required, however, it will allow any employer access to a favourable reference without having to incur the expense of a phone call. The letters may encourage them to do a follow up on the phone but at the very least, you have a reference in hand supporting your application. Good luck.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Good deal. Thanks for the input, guys! Boss loves any excuse to use that "From The Desk of ____ " stationary his wife got him for his birthday.

I'm guessing it wouldn't hurt to have a certificate from a food safety course in Florida, huh? I'm planning on getting back into a bakery again or in a kitchen somewhere.

"Your mom is in my head right now, and she's saying don't do that."

"For Sale. One Parachute . Used only once, never been opened. Small stain."

Filed: Timeline
Good deal. Thanks for the input, guys! Boss loves any excuse to use that "From The Desk of ____ " stationary his wife got him for his birthday.

I'm guessing it wouldn't hurt to have a certificate from a food safety course in Florida, huh? I'm planning on getting back into a bakery again or in a kitchen somewhere.

Love it!!! :lol:

As soon as you get to the US, check what you need to get one of those. Here in WA you get a food handlers permit in like 2 hours.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I guess it depends on the profession, but I'll totally be using my Canadian references. I'll give them an email address as well as their phone numbers in case they don't want to call long distance. But working in PR, we often are calling around all over the place, most of the companies I'll apply to have Canadian offices so I'm sure there won't be any major issues.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I always included my Canadian references as they were all I had... some people didn't seem keen on the idea that I had references from another country but some didn't seem to care like the place I work now... they even called a couple of my references..

mvSuprise-hug.gif

When I was hired at Accountemps, they called both my references in Canada. They had no problem as they knew I'd only worked in Canada.

April 13, 2009 - Welcome to the USA letter rec'd. PRC to be rec'd within 3 weeks.

April 16, 2009 - 2 yr GC rec'd in mail.

March 2, 2011 - Mailed in I-751 to CSC

March 4, 2011 - I-751 delivered to CSC

March 4, 2011 - NOA issued

March 12, 2011 - NOA received

April 14, 2011 - BIO Appt 5/6/11

May 6, 2011 - BIO done in 10 minutes...no re-takes this time :)

June 27, 2011 - Email rec'd "Status - Approved"

July 1, 2011 - 10 yr GC arrived

Timeline

I hope they used my Canadian references! :lol: Or else I would have no work history and that wouldn't be fair now, would it :)

Actually I'm certain my current employer took the time to call my Canadian employers.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Before I left I got a letter of reference from one of my former managers. I just got a job with the State govt, and they never called any of my other references, she just relied on the one letter of reference. Risky?! :blink:

love the stationary comment. :lol:

Filed: Other Timeline

My current employer called my Canadian references, so yeah, I'd say put them on there most definitely. Both employment and character references. It's up the employer to check them, but they can't if they're not there.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.