HSB

Documents & AOS Ready To Go

18 posts in this topic

Arun
Thanks for the input. I noticed you sent certified copies instead of originals. May I ask how you obtained certified copies of original documents? NVC guideline states certified copies have to be issued by original issuing entity, so did you have to go back to the original agencies that issued birth cert, marriage cert, etc?

you misunderstood my letter,

1. we did send them all the originals not Certified (you can send certified if wants to, as you mention you need to go back to issuing authorities to certified them not notary or anything else)

2. all the certified letters are translations from Hindi to English or the conversation between me and municipality because I have a problem in DOB certificate and municipality was not correcting it. so I have to translate all the Hindi conversation into English and notarized it.

3. I certified my parents affidavit for my DOB discrepancy from First class magistrate that was the requirement from NVC for secondary evidence.

I see, thanks for clearing it up.

[
originals and photocopies should be send to NVC? I am about to send my package also but do I need to send photocopies also for the whole set?please answer

Many people on VJ have different thoughts about this matter.

We didn't send any photocopy except passport biographic page and didn't get an RFE

We also wanted to send them photocopies but when we talk to NVC they replied they don't require (why they are charging $400)

all this confusion is because they require photocopy of passport biographic page. Call NVC and conform for yourself and post here.

let us see what's your experience says.

Once again We didn't send any photocopy except passport biographic page and didn't get an RFE

Arun

I just want to ask one more thing.do I need to write my case number and name at the back of the picture for the ds230 package?

I'm putting the pictures in a 3X3 mini envelope. I'm putting the applicant name, DOB, and case # on the envelope and behind each pictures.

Many people on VJ probably do have different thoughts on including a photocopy of each document - as well as the original - however the bottom line is that it is in the instructions - and it is not just confusion about the biographic page of the passport:

Photocopy Requirement link

In addition to sending the original documents or certified copies of the documents to the NVC, the applicant and each accompanying family member must submit a photocopy of the original documents or certified copies of the documents.

This started to be a requirement last year. Now as some have mentioned, if you don't photocopy everything you may not get an RFE, so I am not saying you will. However I would look at it from the point of view of the person who is going to look at your paperwork - try to think of it from their angle.

Maybe cut down on some of the documents you do not need to send (like all your extra financial info that is not needed - as you state your income is more that enough) and focus on what they actually request from you.

Just ensure your husband/wife has all the back up documents with him/her.

Trailmix is right, photocopies of all originals should be sent per instructions. This is primarily to ensure that you receive your originals back during interview, as the DOS likes to keep a copy for their records. Of course, if you did not send photocopies with the originals to the NVC, you can take photocopies with you during interview, and then get your originals back and let the embssy keep the photocopies.

There are some rare instances where the NVC wants to keep a copy of all the originals for their records in the US once your case is completed. In those cases, if you did not send photocopies, you will get a RFE to send photocopies. Once you send the copies, the NVC keeps the copies and sends the originals with your ppw to the embassy for the interview. But if you did not get a RFE for not sending photocopies, I guess you are safe.

I'm planning on sending photocopies with originals to the NVC, and bringing notorized colored photocopies to interview.

Ok, I spoke to 2 different NVC operators yesterday and today. Both said the same thing: They only require originals of birth and marriage, and copies of PCC and passport bio pages. There is no need to send photocopies with the originals. They also said they only need originals of birth and marriage certificates. For police certificates, they said they accept photocopies now, no need to send originals. If you did send originals of everything, they will take it and put it in your file, but they only require originals of birth and marriage.

Some of this info seems to directly contradict the website. The website clearly states each applicant is required to send originals and photocopies of all the certificates, but the NVC operator said he never heard of that policy. He said if I wanted to send both originals and photocopies, go ahead, but they only require originals of birth and marriage, and photocopies of police cert and passport.

The website also has police certificates on the required original documents list. But the operators said no need to send original PCC's, only copies. So there you go.

As for me, I already created my envelope and am sending originals and photocopies of marriage, birth, and PCC's. Don't want any RFE's because they decide after review that they want to see the originals of everything after all. Also included copy of passport bio pages. Fingers crossed. Good luck all.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.