LDora

Looking for someone who was at the Consulate when I was

4 posts in this topic

Hopefully this isn't inappropriate. I've been married for over a year now, and for some reason I've been thinking about this a lot lately. On July 30th, 2007, I had my interview for my K-1 Visa at the US Consulate in Vancouver at 2 PM. I ended up chatting with a man who was there for his interview and was engaged to a woman in the States. The interview place is just a row of "bank-teller" like windows right in front of where you wait to be called, and I was sitting right behind him while he had his interview. Everything seemed to be going well until they realised he only had a copy of his fiance's divorce papers -- not the original document. He kept telling them that the wedding was next week, everything was booked and paid for, everyone had bought tickets, the honeymoon . . . EVERYTHING. The officer said he was sorry, but there was nothing he could do. The man said that the immigration lawyer had the original, but he couldn't get a hold of him, and he was given until the offices closed that day to produce the original or be denied.

My interview lasted less than ten minutes, and as I came out, he was on the phone in the main waiting area trying to track his lawyer down through his fiance. He was SO upset. He asked me how it went for me and I almost felt guilty when I said I'd been approved, but he just congratulated me and thanked me when I told him I wished him luck.

I never got his name and I don't know if he was a member of this site. I doubt he remembers me because we just made small talk. I was just thinking how lucky I was, and how much I hoped he'd been able to contact his lawyer. I just thought I'd post here on the off-chance someone knew who I was talking about.

I hope I'm not out of line by posting this.

"Your mom is in my head right now, and she's saying don't do that."

"For Sale. One Parachute . Used only once, never been opened. Small stain."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Awwww!! Poor guy, I hope it worked out for him. I don't think you're out of line at all, you care about others by thinking about the poor chap!

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I must be the one who's inappropriate because when I first starting reading your post, I thought it was going to be a "You-cute tall guy engaged to an American woman. Me-attractive woman engaged to an American man. Waiting for an interview to receive visas to marry others could not have been a more romantic way to meet your true love."

I'm obviously a terrible person. I hope that everything worked out for him and think it's nice that you care.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

. . .and another time where using a lawyer obviously caused a problem! Poor guy - hope he was able to get things resolved in time for the wedding and such. More evidence why it is a bad idea to make plans before you have the visa in hand.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.